Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Amarok Monitor Mix?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
cheese007 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 13 2008, 13:02

Has anybody noticed that there is an early mix of the album Amarok out there? The so called "Amarok Monitor Mix" was offered some days ago in ebay. The Monitor Mix is divided in two Parts with 26:20 and 33:43 and sounds quite plausible, lacking some polish and extensions (especially in the guitar parts and the background tracks).

My first research in various lists of bootlegs or private compilations of Oldfield albums achieved no useful results.

I am thankful for any hint about this strange version of Amarok.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2008, 15:17

So you bought the mix? Or heard it where?

Welcome to the forums.
Profile PM 
cheese007 Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2008, 04:35

Thanks for the reception!

Yes I bought this CD from ebay. Because Amarok is also in the "Monitor Mix" very unique and complex, it is reasonable for me that this bootleg is authentic.

I am still sceptical because I found no reference to this bootleg in the unofficial Mike Oldfield album-collections. If there is no progress in the research of the provenance of the "Monitor Mix", I could provide a short excerpt for interested forum members by forum messenger request. Because of copyright issues I will not make a public download-link for the excerpt.

By the way, if somebody is selling a (German) Promo-CD of Amarok at a reasonable price, please also send a short message to me.
Profile PM 
Kiwwy Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 10:11

This is also the first time I've heard about this mix, but it sounds very interesting indeed. Also the fact that its divided into two equal secctions is similar to how it is on the LP issue, maybe this is how it was planned from the start.

Maybe Korgscrew or one of the other masterminds know more?

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
shaynw Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2010, 22:08

Quote (cheese007 @ Sep. 14 2008, 04:35)
Thanks for the reception!

Yes I bought this CD from ebay. Because Amarok is also in the "Monitor Mix" very unique and complex, it is reasonable for me that this bootleg is authentic.

I am still sceptical because I found no reference to this bootleg in the unofficial Mike Oldfield album-collections. If there is no progress in the research of the provenance of the "Monitor Mix", I could provide a short excerpt for interested forum members by forum messenger request. Because of copyright issues I will not make a public download-link for the excerpt.

By the way, if somebody is selling a (German) Promo-CD of Amarok at a reasonable price, please also send a short message to me.

I would love to hear this if possible ?
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2010, 01:31

Welcome to Tubularnet! Enjoy your time here. I am interested in hearing the Monitor Mix, even if a bootleg mix. Hearing other musicians doing Mike's works is really uplifting! He has been a huge inspiration and its easy to see why! I might hop on to ebay and have a look. Deb
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2010, 12:02

Those monitor mix were popular in Ebay, and as far as I can remember, they are the official versions, remixed by someone, to sell them on Ebay!!  :)

I can also remember Monitor Mixes for QE2 and Voyager.
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 20 2010, 18:22

If you haven't tried it, you should try playing Amarok through one of those devices for phase-canceling the middle of the stereo mix.

I'll try to explain that better: if you take the left and the right sides, reverse the phase on one side and combine them both into mono then everything that appears equally to the left and right sides vanish.

Some karaoke machines do this to remove the lead vocal from songs, but it's worth having a go with because you sometimes hear hidden details that weren't as audible before (it also messes up the mix completely, but if you've heard it a few times you know what it is supposed to sound like already).

Now I'm not saying that this monitor mix is just someone doing that and making a CD of it, but you never know.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2010, 19:35

Quote (Mat Cochrane @ Feb. 21 2010, 00:22)
If you haven't tried it, you should try playing Amarok through one of those devices for phase-canceling the middle of the stereo mix.

I'll try to explain that better: if you take the left and the right sides, reverse the phase on one side and combine them both into mono then everything that appears equally to the left and right sides vanish.

The "Karaoke" filter in (any version of) the popular Nero burning software does just that. I tried it with some Beatles songs, it's amazing. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
orbscure Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2013, 10:05

I'm sorry to resurrect this old thread, but did anybody ever get to the bottom of the original enquiry? Reason I ask is that whilst clearing out some old audio cassettes [remember those!!!!] I've come across two which features Amarok [test pressing] Pt1 and Amarok [test pressing] Pt2. I can't remember how I came to have these, but invariably they were passed by a fellow fan during my involvement with "View from the Beacon" and "Dark Star"...

Anyway, I'm listening to the first now and rather than being early mixes/demos etc, I would think these sound like original mixes which have channels removed. I'm going to rip both to .mp3 and can dropbox them onto somebody here who may wish to host and share them, unless they are already common knowledge that is...

Cheers
Peter D Evans

--------------
Author "Music from the Darkness - Mike Oldfield 1953-1993"
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2013, 17:18

Please share, Peter!  :)
Profile PM 
10 replies since Sep. 13 2008, 13:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net