Amarok for Symphony Orchestra and Chorus 5  [50.00%]
Other (please specify) 0  [0.00%]
Guests cannot vote

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Amarok Live options< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ThisName Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 12 2013, 15:31

If you had to choose which version of Amarok you would like to hear live would it be a rock based large band of about 15 players recreating the album in terms of sounds or an orchestral version with full chorus?

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: July 13 2013, 00:29

I'm sure I'll be crucified for this but I think an orchestral arrangement of Amarok would be wonderful (and much more practical than piecing together a rock band to do the album version).

If people want it to sound just like the studio version they should stay home and listen to the record. An orchestral arrangement could give the piece lots of new colors and textures if done properly.

Having said that, there are lots of purists out there who simply cannot fathom an arrangement that varies even slightly from the original, so I expect the rock band arrangement will be most popular among fans.

The logistics of getting enough guitarists who are good enough to play Amarok together all at once needs to be considered.
Profile PM WEB 
ThisName Offline

Posted: July 13 2013, 06:25

I'm really drawn to an orchestral version and I love David Bedford to bits but felt his orchestration of tubular bells a bit flat. I think all the amazing vocal chants would be amazing with a full chorus.

Look forward to hearing more opinions.

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 13 2013, 14:55

Voted for the rock band format,but I'm totally open for an orchestral version!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2014, 10:23

If it was a rock band thing, I think Mike should be involved playing guitar ;)
Profile PM 
4 replies since July 12 2013, 15:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net