Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Amarok Covered on Keyboards, Ryan Yard Transcription< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
GusFogle Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 23 2011, 18:04

I've started the long process of recording Amarok. I have uploaded the first 15 minutes of the recording for you to hear. As I continue with more of the piece, I will update the clip. I hope you enjoy my work and follow me as I complete Amarok. This stuff is not easy to play on keyboards!

http://soundcloud.com/gus-fogle/amarok-work-in-progress
Profile PM WEB 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2011, 09:08

Hi Gus,

Pretty tough stuff isn't it? You are doing an admiral job covering it. I was talking to Tom Newman recently about arranging the piece for performance for a small chamber sized rock band. I need to evaluate if it is something I have the time to do and also if there are musicians who would want to tackle it. I would most likely aim for a band of guitars, keyboard/piano, percussion and strings to achieve it. Pie in the sky at the moment.

Just a couple of points about the arrangement. The section (about 1 and a half minutes in) where you have the string chords you play them as D minor, A minor, G minor. The G minor should be a G dominant 7th so not sure if you misread?

Also the section right at the end of the clip where the guitars have that angular bit. You have piano chords underneath that section but I'm not convinced they work with what is happening above. Essentially it just boils down to the 2 guitar parts and bass line playing in dissonant harmony with the keyboard stabs. I feel this gets lost in your mix.

Keep up the good work though, it's a real feat to turn such a guitar heavy piece into a keyboard version.

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2011, 11:16

Quote (ThisName @ Oct. 24 2011, 09:08)
1. The section (about 1 and a half minutes in) where you have the string chords you play them as D minor, A minor, G minor. The G minor should be a G dominant 7th so not sure if you misread?

2. Also the section right at the end of the clip where the guitars have that angular bit. You have piano chords underneath that section but I'm not convinced they work with what is happening above. Essentially it just boils down to the 2 guitar parts and bass line playing in dissonant harmony with the keyboard stabs. I feel this gets lost in your mix.

Keep up the good work though, it's a real feat to turn such a guitar heavy piece into a keyboard version.

1. Whoops! I did play an Am7 but I guess I missed the accidental in the G chord. I'll fix this right away.

2. This section is only partly complete. The chord that the piano is playing is supposed to be similar harmonically to the vocal parts, but I am going to mix the piano way lower in that part when I add in the keyboard stabs. I basically used the chords as a guide to get me through that section when I was recording it on piano.

Thanks for your input. Ryan!
Profile PM WEB 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2011, 11:31

How many musicians could you round up living near you for a chamber version of the piece? I could give you the instrumental line up I am considering. I am thinking of keeping it largely unplugged (except for electric guitars).

Do you have any organisations in your area that might be interested in funding such a project?

Of course, I have already reserved the role of pianist for you ;)

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2011, 13:07

Quote (ThisName @ Oct. 24 2011, 11:31)
How many musicians could you round up living near you for a chamber version of the piece? I could give you the instrumental line up I am considering. I am thinking of keeping it largely unplugged (except for electric guitars).

Do you have any organisations in your area that might be interested in funding such a project?

Of course, I have already reserved the role of pianist for you ;)

Well, I'm a college student, and while I'm not a music student I do know a few people in the music department. A chamber version of Amarok would be fantastic, but with a piece of this magnitude it would take serious devotion and time from all musicians involved. I highly doubt that I would be able to get official funding for a project like this, although it is possible. More likely would be an informal group of musicians who all appreciate the piece and want to perform it live. What instrument line-up did you have in mind? If I worked hard enough I'm sure I could pull enough strings to get this going.

P.S. Just uploaded re-paired mix of Amarok, with proper G7 chord and drums (starting around 2:40 or so). I'm really pleased with how the drums sound.
Profile PM WEB 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2011, 13:19

Probably something along the line sof:

Piano

1 Keyboard

Percussion

Vocals (4 voices)

String Quintet

2 Electric Guitars

2 Acoustic Guitars

It's a big project and one that needs a lot of thought but I would appreciate you seeing what interest you could generate from people in the local area etc.

So you are not a music student? What are you studying?

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2011, 13:38

I will certainly do what I can to try to generate some interest in the project. This would be much easier if I lived in Wales and we could organize this face to face! Haha.

I'm studying General Business. I'm a piano technician, so of course I'm going to be running my own business when I graduate. I found the atmosphere of the music department to be very close-minded and not particularly welcoming, friendly, or encouraging. Frankly, I taught myself how to play piano and read music, and I know that the piano instructor and I would have clashed. I don't like being forced to do things a certain way. Call it a lack of discipline, so be it.
Profile PM WEB 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2011, 13:44

I just love the part from 0.30 to 0.40. Soo 80s  :)

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2011, 13:46

But how exactly do you remix? Do you know the original notes or smth like that?

--------------
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2011, 13:57

Quote (HR lover @ Oct. 24 2011, 13:46)
But how exactly do you remix? Do you know the original notes or smth like that?

Yes, I have the score, as transcribed by Ryan Yard (ThisName).
Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2011, 15:34

:D lol You're late HR Lover !  ;)
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2011, 15:51

lol @ HRLover,

Check out the separate topic within the Amarok board. I made a 250 page full band score of Amarok which Gus now has the unenviable job of arranging for mulitple keyboards.

If you search RyanYardComposer on youtube you will also find videos relating to the project.

I had a dream the other day that I was watching a performance of my arrangement of Amarok for SOLO piano!!! :)

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
adler Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2011, 12:44

Have you heard about the Symphonic Amarok ?

A project made by the spanish people.
See this site:

http://sinfoamarok.com/

And the discussion here:

http://tubular.net/forums....;t=7536

Roberto
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2011, 13:34

Quote (GusFogle @ Oct. 23 2011, 23:04)

Good God!!

:O    :cool:

So far so (far so) good. Keep going.  :D

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2011, 15:35

lol You're late HR Lover !

No, no I know it was transcribed, I just thought you might have done something with sampling or anything like that, I mean I thought that maybe there are other ways of remixing things.

--------------
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2011, 15:45

Sampling!

Have some faith in me as a musician, please! Haha. Everything is played by hand, manually. By "re-mixing" I literally mean going into my recording interface and either re-recording parts (deleting the old part and overdubbing a new one) or controlling the volume of each instrument to get a more balanced mix.
Profile PM WEB 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2011, 16:56

Quote (wiga @ Oct. 25 2011, 13:34)
Quote (GusFogle @ Oct. 23 2011, 23:04)

Good God!!

:O    :cool:

So far so (far so) good. Keep going.  :D

Yes I did hear about the symphonic amarok project but have not heard any progress on that for over a year now and there is little info on the site. Does anybody have any knowledge of this project or did it just slip by?

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2011, 14:11

Dear Ryan I think you may of clicked on the wrong Quote in your above post as you have quoted from wiga's post then gone on to answer the post made above wiga's by alder.

--------------
L◎ST ◎MMADAWN VERSI◎N RIDDLE ANSWER
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
=  I C   1  G◎D   OO ID I I
or replace the L's that were turned in to I's & 1 gets
ID◎L G◎LD ID◎L (4 ANSWER IN FULL + EXPLANATION, C ALBUM SECTION/☮MMADAWN/i-say-i-say-i-say-i-say-in-answer4XXX4Acr⊕ss
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2011, 20:28

I have recorded and uploaded the first 1/4 of Amarok for you to hear.

This will be the last update until the final piece is complete. Wish me luck!
Profile PM WEB 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2011, 04:00

Hey Gus,

You are doing a fine job - it is such a difficult piece and I think you are probably appreciating that now you are so engrossed in it. I think its the many tempo changes that make it hard to perform in on go.

One bit I'm really missing though is the additional guitar at the very beginning (playing the supporting interval of a 5th below the main riff) I think that would add a little more to the opening.

8 minutes on is sounding really good. Only 3/4's to go now lol (sorry that was mean).

Keep up the great work.

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
20 replies since Oct. 23 2011, 18:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net