Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Amarok, but without Thatcher, YT link down below< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 06 2024, 20:50

Quote (pauken @ Mar. 06 2024, 07:42)
Well, I thought I'd have a go at removing Mrs Thatcher.

I believe the IRA had the same idea!  :O
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 07 2024, 03:37

You know once these things really get started it's jolly hard to stop them!
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: June 07 2024, 15:57

What about removing the voice of the fake astronauts, Frank Borman and co., reciting Genesis 1 from the Bible during the Apollo 8 hoax spaceship around the Moon sojourn, from "Let There Be Light" from The Songs of Distant Earth?  That grates much more than a humorous, harmless, lighthearted impersonation of Maggie, which was all the rage at the time, in the days when skillful and effective satire and satirists existed in the mainstream and could exist without the culture of "cancellation" getting to them.   It still works well, especially the tap dancing and it beautifully epitomizes Oldfield's playful personality and willingness to take a risk to do something unexpected (in many ways, the Thatcher segment works better than the original "Piltdown Man" which a lot of people dislike, understandably).  However, I resent having to listen to phony NASA charlatans speaking blasphemy (and Im not even Christian) during a mocked-up production which preceded the greatest, most serious and evil hoaxes and deceptions of humankind in recorded history.  "Let There Be Light" and the whole album would be so much better with that removed and/or replaced with some different, non-offensive sample.

Still not quite as bad as Vangelis' highly cringeworthy "Albedo 0.39" song which consists of an extended litany of completely fictional made up "scientific facts" about the Sun, the hypothetical spinning heliocentric globe-earth, nihilistic space, etc.
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: June 08 2024, 13:37

Quote (Sentinel_NZ @ June 07 2024, 15:57)
What about removing the voice of the fake astronauts, Frank Borman and co., reciting Genesis 1 from the Bible during the Apollo 8 hoax spaceship around the Moon sojourn, from "Let There Be Light" from The Songs of Distant Earth?  That grates much more than a humorous, harmless, lighthearted impersonation of Maggie, which was all the rage at the time, in the days when skillful and effective satire and satirists existed in the mainstream and could exist without the culture of "cancellation" getting to them.   It still works well, especially the tap dancing and it beautifully epitomizes Oldfield's playful personality and willingness to take a risk to do something unexpected (in many ways, the Thatcher segment works better than the original "Piltdown Man" which a lot of people dislike, understandably).  However, I resent having to listen to phony NASA charlatans speaking blasphemy (and Im not even Christian) during a mocked-up production which preceded the greatest, most serious and evil hoaxes and deceptions of humankind in recorded history.  "Let There Be Light" and the whole album would be so much better with that removed and/or replaced with some different, non-offensive sample.

Still not quite as bad as Vangelis' highly cringeworthy "Albedo 0.39" song which consists of an extended litany of completely fictional made up "scientific facts" about the Sun, the hypothetical spinning heliocentric globe-earth, nihilistic space, etc.

Wow there's a lot to unpack from that , but I'm more offended by Earth Moving than anything else Mike has released , to call that music in any shape or form is blasphemous to be honest.
I do agree with you on Amorok though.
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: June 08 2024, 17:42

Quote (hergest fridge @ June 08 2024, 13:37)
Wow there's a lot to unpack from that , but I'm more offended by Earth Moving than anything else Mike has released , to call that music in any shape or form is blasphemous to be honest.
I do agree with you on Amorok though.

Yes, Earth Moving is a truly appalling album, not just by Oldfield standards, not even by late 80s MOR rock/pop standards (when Rick Astley was in charge of things, and mainstream traditional guitar music was heading towards Nirvana*) but by any measure at all.  It's even worse than Man on the Rocks; only "Innocent" has any musical virtue at all, and even then, it's not a particularly great song.  At least it (Innocent) is listenable and I wouldn't scramble to through the radio/media player out the out a 10th storey window if it came on, unlike the rest of the album.  Possibly his marriage (to Anita Hegerland) was in trouble at the time; and he was under pressure to produce an album of purely 3 1/2 minute pop songs.  Even the cover art is uncharacteristically awkward, ungainly, and the portrait quite ugly.  Possibly there were other factors, which I am sure have been already discussed in these pages, which resulted in that genuinely terrible album being released.  Or perhaps it was all a calculated plan on his part, to surprise us all with, and highlight, the supernatural brilliance that was Amarok only a year later.

With Let there Be Light, I find myself in a dilemma, because on the one hand I want to introduce, say, my "boomer" parents to Oldfield's genius, but I also don't want to reinforce the lies of the fake Moon landings and so on, so I am uncomfortable playing or gifting The Songs of Distant Earth to the likes of them.  Still...white people's problems and all that.

*Sorry for the dad pun
Profile PM 
24 replies since Sep. 30 2020, 10:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net