[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Amarok = bestselling Oldfield CD !< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 10:07

I went to the Barnes and Noble web site to look for "Light and Shade". It is

www.bn.com

I looked for Mike Oldfield in music. I did not find "Light and Shade". However, when the list of 29 CDs is sorted by "Bestselling", "Amarok" is #1. "Tubular Bells" is #2. "Ommadawn" is down at #10.  "Tubular Bells II" is the lowest seller (other than a duplicate version of TB 2003 and a single).

I thought this was interesting, considering the "commercial flop" reputation of "Amarok".

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 10:16

This site has several MO errors, it said that The songs of distant earth was originally released in 1996.

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 10:30

I wonder if the release date errors have to do with them listing the most recent releases/pressings, not the year of first release.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 10:57

Quote (hiawatha @ Aug. 24 2005, 15:30)
I wonder if the release date errors have to do with them listing the most recent releases/pressings, not the year of first release.

True but the re-release of TSODE was in 1995, and it has not been re-mastered or re-released since then to my knowledge.

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 12:30

That was the UK edition - the US edition was released in 1996. Any such errors are likely to have no bearing on the accuracy of the sales figures given, anyway - false release dates would be a result of human error on the initial data entry, while the sales figures are going to be coming from an entirely automated system that's directly linked to their sales system (not that it necessarily means it's accurate, just that it should be if they've programmed it right!). I'd think that accurate sales figures are pretty important to them...

Interesting to see Amarok as a top seller, though there's sense to it. Amarok is something of a cult classic amongst fans on the internet, so I can imagine a lot of those copies are probably bought on recommendation. That wouldn't really explain why Ommadawn is at number 10, though - it and Amarok are normally mentioned in the same breath. Amarok is the cheapest on sale there, of course, even if by little more than $1. I'm not sure the price would influence my decision that much, but perhaps it does for some people.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 12:47

Note also the lack of several of albums there such as "Killing Fields" and "The Millenium Bell". They are probably missing a couple of others, but I cannot think of them right now.

It is important to realize that "Barnes and Noble" is a real backwater, with a fraction of the sales of Amazon.

Notice the lack of customer reviews. Want to be the first to review "Ommadawn"? Here's your chance.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 21:32

Oh my God! I had no idea! I haven't had a look at the site but I am delighted to know Amarok is the biggest seller, I shouldn't be surprised but I always thought it was a 'cult' album, known only by the discerning few. Great news!

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2005, 07:50

This makes me very happy.  :)

With the amout of fans who love the album, I'm not surprised that it sells well now. When I first came to this forum and read the views of other fans, Amarok quickly became the album I was most eager to get. I can imagine other new fans are in the same situation.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2005, 08:52

Can someone find out how well it sells at an Amazon site? I am not aware of a "sort by sales" function there. Unless one exists, someone would have to look at "Sales Rank" of all the individual listings and compare.

I compared just a few, using the first listing on each: at Amazon.com, "Amarok" sales are way below those of "Tubular Bells" and "Ommadawn".

Also, on www.bn.com, the default search is in books. Search on Amarok there, and you get this book: "There's a Little Witch in Every Woman: Discover Your Magickal Powers to Create the Life You Want" by Midia Star, Faolin Na Amarok

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2005, 11:40

Quote (raven4x4x @ Aug. 25 2005, 07:50)
When I first came to this forum and read the views of other fans, Amarok quickly became the album I was most eager to get.

It was the same for me.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 13:47

Just out of interest you should check out some of the reviews for Amarok at amazon. Here's one

'Don't be put off by Mr Oldfields other pseudo New Age bland recordings. Amarok is in a different league. First few listens leave you confused... and then it becomes addictive listening. Genius.'

I think that may some up how Mike is percived these days outside the fanbase. If only he'd record another like it.....
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2005, 14:55

I read a review in Polish magazine (Tylko Rock -- devoted 12 pages to Oldfield discography with reviews and biography) and it dismissed Amarok as being his worst. So I skipped it for a very long time, concentrating on the song-based stuff. I downloaded it about... a year ago I think! and it's now either one of my favourite albums of all times by anyone or THE favourite.

I think while the other albums (with exceptions from the 'early era' of course...) only sold at the beginning, this one never peaked, but instead still sells few hundred copies every week, or so.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
knife edge Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 06:56

I consider Amarok the more crazy but with more geniaity album of Mike, maybe his best.

But it doesn't exist here in Italy. No catalog, no shop, have it. That's truly crazy, as it is one of the best piece of music ever, and I have only an MP3 at 128 kbs, that doesn't rendere justice to this masterpiece. :/  :(

bye
Andrea
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 23:23

Well there is nothing stopping you from ordering it my dear and it is certainly worth a few extra dollars but I would think if you shop around the internet sites you will be able to find it very cheaply somewhere, it is 15 years old after all.

Tracy.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
knife edge Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2005, 08:22

Ordered!  ;)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2005, 14:03

At Barnes&Noble, the Complete Mike Oldfield is now the bestseller. Amarok is at #22 and Discovery is the least selling. Heavens Open is top ten. My guess is that they don't sell that many of MO records at all, so if 2 people orders a certain album, it goes top ten.
But that doesn't make sense either, because then L&S would surely be #1, and it isn't :-\ Now I'm confused!

Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
15 replies since Aug. 24 2005, 10:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net