Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Amarok Addiction< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ebony Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 10 2008, 15:43

I've recently been getting into Amarok again, after leaving it unlistened to for a rather long while.  And I really don't understand why I didn't come back to it sooner!  I'd forgotten how much I loved it.  I never noticed before, but just before the awesome part that starts around 5:45 (I don't know the 'names' of the parts though I probably really should..) Mike laughs.  Just a little snigger.  But I've had this album since last year and now is the first time I've picked up on it.  I'm noticing loads of other things too.  Just small things.  I think it might be something to do with the earphones on my Creative mp3 player being the most fantastic earphones in the world, especially when it comes to listening to MO through them.  It's so clear and I can hear every instrument seperately and in what is incredibly like surround sound.  Like I'm sitting in the middle of a crowd of Mikes all playing the different parts that make up the whole.  Awesome stuff.
:)
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Feb. 10 2008, 16:06

Quote (Ebony @ Feb. 10 2008, 20:43)
...just before the awesome part that starts around 5:45 (I don't know the 'names' of the parts though I probably really should..) Mike laughs.  Just a little snigger.

I've always loved that moment. That little subtle laugh before that enormous majestic music descents. Typical Mike and one of the finest moments in Amarok...

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2008, 23:19

Quote (Matt @ Feb. 10 2008, 16:06)
I've always loved that moment. That little subtle laugh before that enormous majestic music descents. Typical Mike and one of the finest moments in Amarok...

I feel the same. It happens relatively early in the piece and, for me, it's the first real indicator of the character of Amarok. Of course, the multiple climaxes later on are enormously thrilling, as well. I'm reminded of something Holger said: "Certain people have been trying to talk me into visiting a fan convention... I never really wanted to though. However, doing a wave at the climaxes of Amarok and Ommadawn would be reason enough for me to go, I think."

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
lordlucan Offline

Posted: May 27 2012, 10:29

I first got Amarok when I was 16, right after it came out.

For the last two weeks I've listened to Amarok on my headphones while walking home in the dead of night. This means I have to walk home very very slowly (without Amarok it's a 25 minute walk) and I get very very pissed off if anything interrupts it after the first 15 minutes. Before that I don't mind restarting it.

I'm still finding things in the music that I wasn't previously aware of, even after 22 years.
Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2012, 08:46

I love Amarok... you find something new with every listen. I just wish some of those guitar sections were longer as it's some of Mike's best playing.

it would be interesting to hear a "sane" version of the album, with longer stretches of music and none of the samples.

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
24 replies since June 01 2003, 01:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net