Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Amarok- a new approach< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
moonchildhippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 19 2006, 20:02

I found a link in topic "Private concert in living room" see Rarities and Concerts http://tubular.net/forums....t=5997.

Having heard that the clip was of  a section of Ommadawn Part 2, with excerpts of  Amarok , all played acoustically. This sounded beautiful, truly amazing,   :D , I decided to give Amarok another try, I've never really been able to get into Amarok in a big way.  I bought Amarok to fill the last few gaps in my MO collection after first joining TubularBoard, after reading Amarok is regarded as Ommadawn 2, I'm sure you all know about my love of Ommadawn     :D. Anyway upon hearing Amarok  for the first time I was somewhat puzzled,  :/ , I thought this sounds nothing like Ommadawn, OK I can see it's linked to Ommadawn in as far as it features many of the Ommadawn musicians.  I would say it has more similarities with Tubular Bells, in terms of the instruments used, Farsifa and Lowery organs, Glockenspiel,  Glorfindel Guitar,Grand Piano, Hoover, (the earliest demos of TB featured a Hoover) and of course Piltdown Man or his close relative puts in an appearance too. I know a common gripe about TB is that some of the various sections are incoherent, but to me they flow together well.

It was after hearing these pieces of Amarok played acoustically I decided to give it another try.  So I had a go just before I got some sleep, I thought maybe if I listened to it in altered state of conciousness , I might begin to really grow on me. Upon waking this morning I played it again. I appreciate Amarok has some beautiful moments but I can't seem to really get into it. I find the sudden stabbing guitar parts somewhat incoherent, I can't decide on the Maggie Thatcher part, if this is comedy or if it simply detracts from the music.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2006, 05:01

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Feb. 20 2006, 01:02)
I appreciate Amarok has some beautiful moments but I can't seem to really get into it. I find the sudden stabbing guitar parts somewhat incoherent, I can't decide on the Maggie Thatcher part, if this is comedy or if it simply detracts from the music.

This is the age-old problem, to which I haven't found a solution in 15 years of trying.

Another new approach would be to come at it from the southwest, stealthily, and take it unawares.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2006, 09:13

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Feb. 19 2006, 20:02)
I thought this sounds nothing like Ommadawn, OK I can see it's linked to Ommadawn in as far as it features many of the Ommadawn musicians.

OK I can see it's linked to Ommadawn in as far as it features many of the Ommadawn musicians.

It's also structured a lot like Ommadawn Side 1, I think.... only much longer and with many more themes.

(Imagine the original Ommadawn Side 1 expanded to three times its length. It is not inconceivable that a lot of new things might make an appearance as part of a much longer work: including guitar stabs and tubular bells).

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2006, 13:53

Like you, Moonchildhippy, I adore Ommadawn and completely understand why you find Amarok quite a challenge. Amarok appears to be the opposite, not at all smooth or undulating, quite jumpy and forever changing direction. But keep listening.

I discovered Amarok a while after it's release, and at the time of discovery, had read nothing about it or heard any comments by anyone so it was unchartered territory for me. (I loved all Mike's previous albums so I rather foolishly thought I knew what may be on that tape!!;)) I think that is the best way to approach any art form because it hits your instincts at a level where you have no control. In our modern world there is an information saturation, this can be good but also not so good. Too many outside influences cloud your judgement.

In places Amarok is plain bonkers but it is clever stuff & really the work of a genius. It stands alone. And that is what I like about it the most. It has to be appreciated as that too. There will never be an Ommadawn II, and thank goodness for that.

I do find that I leave Amarok alone for a long time then suddenly my state of mind changes and then that's all I play for a while. And I hear new things, wonderful things & feel better for it. It has a magic of it's own. But it is odd, and can scare people of a nervous disposition!  But do give it a chance :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
stevenmd779 Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2006, 14:17

It deffenently has some good parts. I listened to it the other day through some headphones and it is espeseally interesting if nothing else. Alot of differant things happening at the same time, but it's a little too progressive for me. Not real smooth and after all my favorite music is smooth jazz. From what I've heard, it is made to be bad on purpose to try not to sell many, but it seems good even though, but slight irrating things. If the hoover section was expanded to about 3 times that lengh and developed more and with a differant ending that would be ultimate. I've only listened to this album about 6 times, so maybe I'll like it with more time.

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Boogs is fo' da chode man.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2006, 18:44

Bee   Posted on Feb. 20 2006, 18:53Like you, Moonchildhippy, I adore Ommadawn and completely understand why you find Amarok quite a challenge. Amarok appears to be the opposite, not at all smooth or undulating, quite jumpy and forever changing direction. But keep listening.

In places Amarok is plain bonkers but it is clever stuff & really the work of a genius. It stands alone. And that is what I like about it the most. It has to be appreciated as that too. There will never be an Ommadawn II, and thank goodness for that.

I do find that I leave Amarok alone for a long time then suddenly my state of mind changes and then that's all I play for a while. And I hear new things, wonderful things & feel better for it. It has a magic of it's own. But it is odd, and can scare people of a nervous disposition!  But do give it a chance :)

That's what I find with Amarok, it's forever changing direction, often suddenly without warning, where as I find Ommadawn and other long instrumentals flow much more harmoniously :) .

Maybe I made the mistake of listening to Amarok for the first time whilst driving.  I put it on the car CD player, and heard the first few minutes, I was rather puzzled, I was expecting another Ommadawn, but I heard stabbing guitars and synths and a lyric that sounded like "Happy". Well it frightened me, I think I was on the receiving end of what was intended for Virgin's Simon Draper.      After my driving experience I put Amarok to one side for several weeks, I was thinking WTF have I bought here  :/ , with a few more plays I could hear some inner beauty to Amarok, but I did find the peace and tranquility were often broken, by those stabbing guitars or synths, yes Amarok can be  bonkers, I can listen to some music that some people find too crazy for their  more austere tastes.    

I would say Amarok is in a class of it's own, despite using many the same instruments/ musicians as Tubular Bells or Ommadawn,   Tubular BellsII or Ommadawn II it isn't.  Amarok started out as Ommadawn II, but  ended up going off on another tangent. I too am so pleased that there hasn't been and will never be an Ommadawn II.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
5 replies since Feb. 19 2006, 20:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net