Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Amarok, The masterwork falls prey...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 24 2003, 17:30

This is another one which was destined for Valentin Albillo's Three Moons Of Amarok tribute CD, but all seems to have gone rather worryingly quiet in that department.

This isn't the full 6 minutes anyway - I got to 4 minutes and ran out of time to do any more, so just unceremoniously cobbled together the two sections I had (think of it as a pair of tracks one after the other instead of a single piece ;)). I'll probably work a little more on it at some point.

My apologies to Mike for the second half especially, but be thankful for the fact that I scrapped the kazoo part...

So, here it is - 7.4mb (it's a 256kbps file, I hope you find it worth the extra wait...I'll have an experiment with oggs at some point).
Profile PM 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 25 2003, 07:35

I love it when you play happy songs. :) And I like the little 'laid back' touch you give to it. Very nice piece. The only thing I find a pity, is your flute. A real one would be so cool!

Very nice!

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 25 2003, 09:04

Very nice as always, Korgscrew! Love how you used that tune and made this kinda laid back acoustic feel to it. Right on!

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 26 2003, 17:51

The idea in the second half was never to have a flute (though the recorders in the 'chorus' are real) - perhaps the problem is that the sound is too flutey. I originally had a cheesy home organ type sound in mind (well, after I'd tried the kazoo anyway) but eventually settled on the punkadiddle-esque analogue synth whistle (actually, the sound's maybe more in its element for slow atmospheric tracks - very Telegraph Road). I do have to say that after laying that down, I did wonder what it would be like played on a tin whistle instead, so maybe something to try...I suspect that it would lose its silly feel slightly, but maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing.
I'm still not 100% happy with it though, so it may well end up altered when I come to make final tweaks (I wonder what it sounds like layered with a kazoo...).

Still, nice to know you both liked it.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: June 27 2003, 13:46

Very cool. It's refreshing, lite, and "free", especially after Mike's last CD that locks you up in a tubular world again and again, between 5 speakers this time, so you can't escape to the back. ;)
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 27 2003, 14:16

The possibilities with surround formats are almost frightening really... :p

There's also a little outtake that I forgot to mention before - a sad example of ukulele mistreatment.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 28 2003, 11:55

Sounds nice Korgie! Only I can't stand that whistle sound. Sorry. We talked about the SH2000, I like that whistle sound. But this one reminds me of my Roland keyboard, which I never liked. Sounds like it screams my ears out. uuugh. :)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 28 2003, 13:59

Heh, BOOsTER didn't much like it either. It seems to divide people, as a little while after I'd laid it down and still wasn't sure about it, everyone was telling me to leave it alone!

Perhaps I'll have to relegate the ol' Oberheim from whistles to the rather entertaining Crises string sound which it does...  :D
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 28 2003, 14:11

That's more like it Korgie!! :D

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 28 2003, 16:04

More seriously though, I have to say in the whistle's defence that it fits, and that's no mean feat. The ukuleles proved a rather tough opponent, and defeated everything I could put up against them (an additional consideration was finding something that didn't conflict too much with the recorders). At one time I was even considering trying to persuade a local primary school to part with a harmonium to see if that would work...

Actually, what I'd really like to have there is George Formby singing "Sondeeelaaaa..." which would be far funnier than any cheesy keyboard sound or kazoo could ever be, but sadly he isn't alive any more (though I did come across a George Formby signature banjolele in a guitar shop recently...music lovers will be pleased to hear that it didn't come home with me).

Let's not be taking things too seriously now...  :cool:
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: July 09 2003, 04:58

Yes, it does sound very laid back and relaxing, until the rocking electric comes in. Very nice guitar playing, well done! The ukulele is quite interesting, and I don't mind the first flute that much, but when the pan-pipe sound comes in you've added an extra note. That wouldn't be bad except I love the original so much, so the extra note sounds wrong. Apart from that, excellent!

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: July 09 2003, 11:51

Cool.
11 replies since June 24 2003, 17:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net