Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Alternative version of Incantations 4, Additional Female Vocal On Part 4< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Chris Ibberson Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 06 2011, 10:25

I was disappointed to find that the Deluxe Incantations release does not have the alternative female vocal part as was used by Tony Palmer in the 1979 Space Movie. Can anyone tell me if this small gem has ever been officially released by Mike, and who provided the vocals for it? My video copy is unsurprisingly worn out and unplayable. :)

--------------
Diana Luna Lucina
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2011, 18:02

Welcome to the forum, I should point out that one should be better to post a topic like this probably in tubular talk section but as you have posted it here. My advice would be to ask the expert Ugo or one of the like, he is very knowledgeable his profile is hopefully at the end of this link!

http://tubular.net/forums....=85-142

AII the best 4 your search
CIAO I1

--------------
L◎ST ◎MMADAWN VERSI◎N RIDDLE ANSWER
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
=  I C   1  G◎D   OO ID I I
or replace the L's that were turned in to I's & 1 gets
ID◎L G◎LD ID◎L (4 ANSWER IN FULL + EXPLANATION, C ALBUM SECTION/☮MMADAWN/i-say-i-say-i-say-i-say-in-answer4XXX4Acr⊕ss
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 07 2011, 19:39

Quote (0 @ 1(I1)+Aug. 07 2011, 22:02)
I should point out that one should be better to post a topic like this probably in tubular talk section

Here's just fine...anything relating to a particular album is well placed in the section relating to that album (though an argument could be made for putting it under Rarities & Concerts, I suppose) :)

The Space Movie is available on DVD now (from Amazon UK for example), but that version's not been released anywhere else.

Are we talking the 'Space Evocation' part here? I've never seen any credit given to a vocalist for that section. All I can say for sure is they sound pretty strange! My suspicion is that the pitch has been played with, though not by very much (not as much as it being recorded at half speed, for example). Varispeeding it down by 10% (which gives close to 2 semitones...1.82 to be precise) gives something which sounds...a little like Maddy Prior. It sounds like it's been double tracked to me...or is it more than one voice? I think I'd need to get my hands on a clearer copy before I stick my neck out properly here - anyone fancy lending me one of those rare and almost priceless Space Movie soundtrack test pressings to...um...perform some experiments on? :p
Profile PM 
Kiwwy Offline

Posted: June 21 2012, 15:32

Quote (Korgscrew @ Aug. 07 2011, 20:39)
Are we talking the 'Space Evocation' part here? I've never seen any credit given to a vocalist for that section. All I can say for sure is they sound pretty strange! My suspicion is that the pitch has been played with, though not by very much (not as much as it being recorded at half speed, for example). Varispeeding it down by 10% (which gives close to 2 semitones...1.82 to be precise) gives something which sounds...a little like Maddy Prior. It sounds like it's been double tracked to me...or is it more than one voice? I think I'd need to get my hands on a clearer copy before I stick my neck out properly here

Will this do?
http://soundcloud.com/obsolete-dk/ring-of-iron-from-dvd

Its a very intriguing piece in all its strangeness. You'd almost think it was done with vocaloid or something.

I've tried playing around with speed and other stuff, but it sort of stayed strange sounding regardless of what I tried. But I think it could be because it is indeed doubletracked, but with different speed variations on the different takes.

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: June 21 2012, 16:17

To me it sounds like a soul vocalist - very unusual for Oldfield -  recorded just in 2 takes which creates a kind of chorus effect.

By the way the lyrics come from a poem by Kathleen Rain (*1908 †2003)

Spell For Creation
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 22 2012, 04:07

I love this piece, thanks for sharing! I think it sounds like the singer is trying to adapat a faux asian singing style. Anyway it's so super tone-correct that it sounds weird. There was no auto tune in the late 70s.

It's interesting to hear that section that begins at 0:18  here was actually longer to begin with (the soundcloud does the whole figure at least five times before the guitar solo begins, only three on the final version).

There are a few audible "cuts" in incantations where it's obvious that two sections of tape have been spliced together. Which makes me which I had been a fly on the wall when Incantations was recorded. I wonder how much material ended up on the cutting room floor.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
5 replies since Aug. 06 2011, 10:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net