Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Alternative track names?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jammer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 23 2000, 05:48

Take a look at this page:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000DATR/qid=972294034/sr=1-54/026-7913142-6308468

Look at its tracklistings for some of the tracks. They are different to what we all know them as. First I thought this was a mistake on their behalf, but judging that two of the tracknames are different and one is dramatically different means that it could have been the working titles of some of these tracks

Does anybody else know anything about this?
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2000, 08:47

I have no idea, but I guess it ties in with The Man In the Rain picking up his Bag of Secrets. Does the mighty fall (I know it is outcast really) refer to stumbling when he journeyed up the mountainside?

Does this mean that the Track 7 picked up his Track 1 and journeyed up the mountainside Track 11 and nothing was ever heard from him again except for the sound of Tubular Bells?
Profile PM WEB 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2000, 15:13

All the different track names were mentioned at the site www.tubularbells.com however i don't think the site is up anymore. Every time i try to go to it, it always comes up w/ "page not found...blah blah"

I think the name "Outcast" suits the album better than "The Mighty Fall". I interpreted the song not so much as a "fall" but as a "casting out" of a 'bad vibe' if you will.

"The Source of Secrets" kind of sounds better than a bag of secrets as well.

If you were to given the opportunity to rename any of the tracks, what would you rename them? would you change the names at all? I think i would keep them all the same. Although as a far fetch, i would rename "Secrets" as "Calm before the Storm".

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2000, 18:25

I probably wouldn't rename any tracks

What I'd like to change about it would be to have Secrets and FATC as one track. When I want to hear the ending climax I play it from Secrets and listen to the end of the album. The Watchful Eye track could be omitted leaving the theme perpetuating through the album. Maybe also I'd have Moonwatch in between JITC and Outcast. There would be a much bigger contrast between the peacefulness of Moonwatch and the infectuous electric guitar in Outcast. It would also be quite similar in the form of the original Tubular Bells (although the Jewel in the Crown would be the exception) It could then quieten down to this peaceful section and then gradually go back up again resembling the Blue Saloon bit of TB into the strumming section. If Outcast is supposed to be TB3's equivalent of the Altered States Piltdown Man section then it is by far my favourite version and interpretation of it. Much less reserved than in TB and much less unecessarily stranger than in TB2
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2000, 19:58

I think both titles work for Track 4.
These are the reasons why I think this:

1) "Mighty Fall" may refer to Lucifer. In this way the voice speaking "Out Demon Out" may be symbolizing God's voice !!! eek eek

2) "Outcast" is also effective from a biographical point of view: the long vacation in Ibiza helped Mike cast away (definitely) all of his "demons", i.e. his lifelong fears, and the piece anticipates the "exorcism" in the final track. I read all of this on Dark Star as it was online when the album was released.

P.S. 2dg, I wouldn't change anything in the song order. It's just perfect as it is. wink

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 27 2002, 05:42

Heres the tracklisting of Tubular Bells III from http://www.mikeoldfield.com/mike-interface.html

1. Tubular Bells III
2. Moonwatch
3. Jewel in the Crown
4. Excorcism
5. Serpentarium
6. The Inner Child
7. Man in the Rain
8. In the Clear
9. Rainbow Fire
10. Tubular Bells III (reprise)
11. Far Above the Clouds.

Anyone know what's up with this?

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: May 27 2002, 11:38

WOAH! that's messed up! why is that? those names are completely wrong! talk about a huge type-o. strange. i hope someone got fired for that smile j/k

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: May 27 2002, 16:34

looks like amazon have got the correct titles now, its just the quote from q magazine -
"...The most incident-packed of his '70s releases: you're never more than 2 minutes away from a crescendo or a beautiful interlude..." - that is wrong!!!

gah, i love 'rainbow fire' as a name. when i registered here, i wanted an original imaginative name, but i put 'Man In The Rain' in because I thought someone would have it - but they didn't, so now I'm Man In The Rain. Hardly the most original name - but its awlright! Rainbow Fire is such a nice name though, it would be a great user name. but Moonwatch is a great name too - where on earth does Mike get his titles from?

Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 27 2002, 18:46

Some like 'A Bag of Secrets' and 'The Mighty Fall' were certainly working titles...they were in place on some of the earlier versions of the album.
I imagine the ones at mikeoldfield.com at the moment were also working titles at one stage. 'Exorcism' (hmm...seems like they made another mistake with the spelling of that...) seems to fit with the theme of 'Outcast' (with the 'Out demon, out' bits).
I seem to remember seeing the title 'Serpentarium' at some point in the past as well.
Profile PM 
8 replies since Oct. 23 2000, 05:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net