Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Alternate Platinum, The original withdrawn recording?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ekloef Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 15 2004, 14:29

I few days ago a landed on a "Mike Oldfield site" where a saw a picture of bootleg called "ULTIMATE PLATINUM" with the text "The original withdrawn recording" printed on it. Unfortunately I lost the link to this site...

Does anybody here know more of this withdrawn recording?
If this topic has been up before I am sorry....

Thank you!

--------------
https://www.instagram.com/robtch/
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2004, 14:38

I believe it might be the rare first pressing in which the song under the title "Sally" is actually "Sally".

The actual song "Sally" has the "Sally, I'm just a gorilla" lyrics, and some of the music matches the track "Airborn".

Later pressings, including the one I bought new, still have the track called "Sally" on the label, but the actual song on the LP is "Into Wonderland" ("May I say,One fine day,If you say you would,We could run away.").

I found this paragraph describing the situation at the Amazon.com review of the album:

""Sally" is a nice love song, typical seventies pop style,nothing special but listenable and fun - the interesting story is that "sally"...is not the original song - Real "sally" was kind of a joke and was too silly that right after the premiere of this album Virgin records forced mike to put something more representative for the album - so he did and recorded the song "Into wonderland" that became second "sally" -The new remastered edition" contains "Into wonderland" instead of amusing original mix...

The name "Sally" persists for this track, even on the remastered CD.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
ekloef Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2004, 14:46

Oh...yes I have heard of the "Sally" track... I actually have it. I thought this "withdrawn recording" maybe was some other arrangments or so. I believe I read somewhere about a new recording of Tubular Bells done during the same sessions as Platinum in New York.

But maybe "withdrawn recording" simply meant the track "Sally"...

Thanks!

--------------
https://www.instagram.com/robtch/
Profile PM 
2 replies since Nov. 15 2004, 14:29 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net