Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: "Altered State" - deeper meaning, A contra-virgin anthem< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Mike Chadwick Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 17 2003, 07:39

While Mike recorded TB2 he was already in Warner company
Here are my imperssions aobut the lyrics to Altered State.
1) mike wanted to make aa song slightly fun but he put there deeper meaning
2) here it is - i think so.

WHO's GONNA GET YOUR VIRGIL??? - a question to mr.Branson - you all know that shortly before the releasing of TB2 Virgin was sold to EMI and up to now is a part of EMI. Oldfield asks - who's gonna get your Virgin, mr. branson???

Who's Gonna get your home?? - same as up.

i'm still trying to figure out who is Mummy (or mommy) from verses. ok. now what is your idea???

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 17 2003, 14:31

I think that this is a matter of interpretation. I would personally say that lyrics like those come from a need to make something understandable out of nonsense - that is, I don't believe that the caveman in Altered State sings any English words at all (or indeed, words in any other language which I can identify).

It's a common phenomena, that humans look for recognisable patterns in things. Draw three dots arranged into a triangle, then draw a line at one of the points, parallel to the side opposite that point. You might recognise what you've drawn as a face. Is it a face? No, it's three dots and a line, just that our brains are programmed to look for faces in things.
Similar with words - in an attempt to understand them, we look for something familiar, and sometimes we fill in a lot of details to make things fit the pattern...what I mean to say is, listen hard enough for recognisable lyrics in a load of nonsense, and you'll probably find some. It just doesn't mean they're actually there...
Profile PM 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: July 17 2003, 15:53

"meanings in the dark we see...". ok now i will listen once again to TB1 and try to understand what kind of anthem is included in the caveman part...
anyway, we all do not know really Mike had on mind while recording "Alered state" - but maybe it was just a sense of english humour - Oldfield has certainly a sense of humour!!!

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 17 2003, 17:53

I basically agree with Richard in the sense that I don't hear at all the phrases "Who's gonna get your Virgil" and "Who's gonna tell your home", which are both in what is by far the most common transcription of "Altered state" available on the Web :). What sounds to me like the 'real lyrics', as posted sometime ago on the Italian Fan Club's site www.mikeoldfield.it, goes something like this:

Slush dush diddly buch hrr doe!
(what's going on?)
hush jar gee ma how!
(where's your Mummy?
where's she gone?)
lush duck dageeba hrr doe!
(who's that dummy? I don't know)
hush da dageeba hoooooo!
(are you dead Mummy? Don't think so)
[etc.]

So, as you see, I don't think there is any intented meaning in the words.

About the other vocals: As I remarked somewhere else (in another forum), they always gave me the impression that they belong to a child and her mother, watching the Piltdown Man as he screams, trapped inside a cage, like in a zoo, or like he were some circus freak. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: July 18 2003, 04:58

You are right, i think. Basicly i read the translation from This forum long time ago and i started to think about the meaning (virgil, and stuff like that)- Imagination is the key (-;

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
4 replies since July 17 2003, 07:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net