Light and Shade 38  [79.17%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Album title choices?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 16:17

Aw, geeze. The first thing I thought when I saw the title "Light And Shade" was gee, it couldn't have been more obvious, could it?  I mean, it isn't really THAT novel an idea to "split" music in two sides, and if the idea was to be allegoric, it wasn't really that creative. Still, I find "Quicksilver" too wannabe. "Light And Shade" is just kinda obvious and boring, but it's not bad, and looks good on paper, I think. I don't mind that title. After all, Mike does have an album called "Guitars"...

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 20:22

It sounds more and more like Mike will never be good enough for you whatever he does.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 02 2005, 02:51

'Quicksilver' for me. Reminds me a bit of 'Platinum' which I love.

Bring back the cheese.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2005, 05:22

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Sep. 01 2005, 21:17)
gee, it couldn't have been more obvious, could it?  I mean, it isn't really THAT novel an idea to "split" music in two sides,

I don't have many albums divided into two sides or discs, the only one I can think of in my collection is Queen II , which has "Side White" and "Side Black"    :) .  Wonder how it transfers onto CD as a CD only has one playing side ;) .

T4 Posted on Sep. 02 2005, 07:51......Bring back the cheese.

Oh no I love cheese, (and  beer too), neither of which will help me loose weight, all those calories :O !!!!

Wish I hated cheese at these times!!!

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2005, 10:24

Guitars is a great title for an album featuring only "Guitars"! The only album name i've found slightly annoying is U2's 'How to dismantle an atomic bomb'.  It's a bit pretentious and too political for my liking but at the end of the day if it's a good album then so what if it has a crap title.  Oh and another thing, i haven't felt the urge to go onto a U2 fansite to voice my dislike of the album name, if i don't like something it doesn't interest me so i don't really bother forming an argument about why i don't like it.  Seems to me there are a few regular visitors to this site who are intent on criticising Mike Oldfield for anything that takes their fancy.  My message to you people is GET A LIFE!
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2005, 13:06

Why should somebody get a life simply for saying what they think? Surely thats what these boards are for. There probably is an unfair balance of negativity round here for really quite minor issue's but if people want to ask questions like 'what is your view on the title of the album? Then they have to expect a range of answers, surely thats the fun of debate?

The fact that there appears to be a lot of negativity towards Mike is everything to do with how erratic the quality of Mike's output has been over the years and apparantly continues to be. If you go over to the forums for say Peter Gabriel you won't find the same polar opposite debate simply becasue his artistic output has been by and large consistant and good.

Mike just has so many fans who come at his music from so many different angles and who hear so many different things in it. It's no wonder the debate surrounding him is diverse and at times heated.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2005, 13:21

Quote (Chicular @ Sep. 02 2005, 10:24)
Seems to me there are a few regular visitors to this site who are intent on criticising Mike Oldfield for anything that takes their fancy.  My message to you people is GET A LIFE!

Maybe it's all about expressing opinions and having a personality? Also freedom of expression without being rude or offending anyone?

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2005, 16:44

IMO the title is a bit too clever-clever. A two-part album with a dual title like that is a bit too obvious, while the choices for individual words, "light" and "shade" are in the same time a bit pretentions and again a bit too obvious. Then there's writing it as Light + Shade. The plus-sign was cool and original in 1990 when David Bowie did the Sound + Vision tour, but it isn't all that hot 15 years onwards.

He could have called the album something like Shades of Light and it would IMO have been better (though I presume most of you disagree).
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2005, 16:57

I like plays on words, like Brian Eno did with "Before And After Science". The album is roughly divided in a "fast" side and a "slow" side (like in David Bowie's "Low"), and the title hints at that contrast, somewhat. "Light And Shade" throws the contrast on your face, like "Guitars" threw them guitars on your head. "Shades Of Light" is a good idea at hinting on a contrast.

And then, Mike could have just opted for a nonsense title, like "Wossitcalled" or "Whaddayathink". But overall, the title is adequate, I don't think it's smartarse, and it isn't flashy like "Quicksilver".

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2005, 04:23

At least they know who they are!
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Sep. 09 2005, 21:39

I was just looking up something in Green Witchcraft I, inadvertently pulling off book II, which I had forgotten is subtitled Balancing Light & Shadow. Here is a picture of the cover. I had this vision of Mike's face superimposed on it. OK...back to reality! Anyway....I'm looking forward to Mike's version of the balance. :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2005, 03:02

Well at least he was more imaginative than Moby whose new album is called Hotel, it has two cds, one is a dance cd called cd1, and the other is an ambient cd called Ambient:cd2.

And an Australian artist called Endorphin did it too, with a 2 cd set called AM:PM. Once again the AM cd is more Light mellow music and the PM cd is more Dark dance music.

Mike mentioned getting this idea from some french artist I think I have never heard of, perhaps he doesn't realise how common it is.

Not being negative, just thinking out loud.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2005, 06:50

Well the idea is as old as LP's themselves really. Double length albums have been around for ages, after all Incantations was split between two records. I don't think Mike thought he was being clever by doing it, I'm sure he just thought he had a lot of music lying about that he'd worked up over the last few years and wanted to release, 2 CD's would allow him to do this. Whether or not the quality of the tracks justifies the double album aproach is of course a different matter. 2 storming tracks so far though.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2005, 16:24

I didn't know that "splitting" music in two oppsite halves was so common. And yeah, knowing how aware Mike is of the music surrounding him (i.e. barely), I'd guess he didn't know it either. But if I'm not mistaken, the duality of Light And Shade isn't exactly Ambient vs. Fast - I only heard 'Tears Of An Angel' once, and I don't remember a single note off of it, but it didn't sound exactly "fast". So it seems the duality is actually in the mood, not the musical style.

Still, I think Mike should have allowed me to choose the album title, so I could call it "Better Than Tubular Bells! 16 pieces about Sunflower Valley at Night and Day". If the album was better than TB or not, it would define whether the title is very true or very ironic.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2005, 16:57

Yeah I don't know where the Shade part being dance music came from. Maybe it was that terrible translation everyone, including me, picked up on. On the evidence so far (ie 5 tracks) Shade has all the strengths whilst Light seems to be going down the same old road. I can't wait to hear what the rest of Shade sounds like.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2005, 18:45

I think the "choice" of name of an album is not for us to discuss really. Who are we to decide what would have been better? We did not create the music. It's like saying Dali's The Persistence of Memory would be better if it were called Clocks Melting in an open Landscape. And naming a child. At first the name hangs in the air when you first decide, and gradually it becomes part of who the child is. How they are known.

Artist's work,therefore artist's choice. nuff said.

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2005, 19:56

I think the comparison would work better if Dali had titled his opus "A bunch of clocks melting in a freaky way", and we suggested a more imaginative title. :)

But, well, if fans can discuss what music Mike should we doing, what's so wrong with questioning the title? ;)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2005, 20:01

Actually, that's what I think the painting should be called. Either that or "what was that I just smoked?"

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2005, 06:54

Getting away from the dominant idea of contrasts, it could be noted that shade is not possible without light. The title idea therefore has a rather satisfying unity to it.

And as the title was conceived after the music, maybe the fit is good.

Or I guess one could pinch a phrase and say, "Its only a title, innit?"
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2005, 08:03

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARKY!!!

I was 37 once, it was a very good year, I have NEVER been in LOVE as much as I was that year, hmmmm.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
41 replies since Aug. 15 2005, 10:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net