Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Album most like Ommadawn?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
larstangmark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 02 2023, 10:18

Jade Warrior "Way of the sun". So many sections that are both melodically and textually like Ommadawn. Great album, too.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
shenry Offline

Posted: June 06 2023, 08:00

Quote (larstangmark @ June 02 2023, 10:18)
Jade Warrior "Way of the sun". So many sections that are both melodically and textually like Ommadawn. Great album, too.

Wow, just had a listen and I'm blown away. I'd heard some other Jade Warrior stuff before, the earlier stuff, but never heard this and it's great. Thanks for the recommendation.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 07 2023, 04:30

Quote (shenry @ June 06 2023, 08:00)
Quote (larstangmark @ June 02 2023, 10:18)

Wow, just had a listen and I'm blown away. I'd heard some other Jade Warrior stuff before, the earlier stuff, but never heard this and it's great. Thanks for the recommendation.

I think it's their best by far!

The recommendations I've been given before have been very misleading. For some reason "Way of the sun" is often labeled "new age" and "ethnokitsch", which is far from the truth.

I'm not a big fan of Jade Warrior's early "rock" records. They are interesting, but almost too raw.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: June 09 2023, 19:05

Not exactly like Ommadawn  (although it has passages quite reminiscent of parts of, say, Taurus II, Platinum, Crises, The Lake, Wind Chimes, Incantations, and the like), but well worthy of a mention due to being comfortably in my view the greatest album of all time by anyone, any genre - including every legendary artist and album you care to name - outside of Mike Oldfield's catalog.

Legend Soundtrack - Tangerine Dream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84jvSHmXsuA

This is the complete 1 hour 19 minute version that never got an official release and was only broadcast once on German radio in 1985 (so the story goes), and thence bootlegged onto CD. To this day copies are scarcer than chicken teeth and when they do emerge, sell for a hefty price (tragically, it's banned for sale on Discogs).  There are moments - many of them in fact - on this collection of songs that seriously challenge if not actually exceed Mike's very best for sheer breathtaking beauty, glory, wonder, and magic.  Needless to say, it is incomparably superior to anything else Tangerine Dream themselves ever committed to tape.

Anyone who is a serious or even casual fan of progressive, electronic, new age, synthesizer, cinematic/filmscore, or even classical, or 80s, or good music in general, must be intimately familiar with this record.

WARNING: Not to be confused with either the commercially released TD version, which deftly cuts out all the best parts, or Jerry Goldsmith's vastly inferior alternative soundtrack to the same film.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 10 2023, 03:54

The "Legend" soundtrack begins with Johannes Schmoelling using the pitch wheel when playing a pan flute sample, and that takes a lot of forgiving. They really should have given Terry a call! :P

If you would play the "Legend" soundtrack to a young person today, he would probably identify it as "dungeon synth".

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: June 10 2023, 04:21

Quote (larstangmark @ June 10 2023, 03:54)
The "Legend" soundtrack begins with Johannes Schmoelling using the pitch wheel when playing a pan flute sample, and that takes a lot of forgiving. They really should have given Terry a call! :P

If you would play the "Legend" soundtrack to a young person today, he would probably identify it as "dungeon synth", whatever that is, take a lot of forgiving, but heck, I'm up for it.  As for asking a "young person" today about his or her (or "their") taste in music, a quit perusal of the music charts and popular radio playlists will quickly disabuse you of any illusion that young people today are being exposed to quality sounds or developing a critical and good ear for recognizing the same, so I don't see any immediate value in that experiment..

The opening note of the (complete, 1 hour 19 minute) Tangerine Dream Legend soundtrack is pure unadulterated bliss; genius; deeply evocative, ethereal, moving, and positively transcendent, and this same sublime mood is sustained throughout the entire album, through the instrumentals as well as the extraordinarily beautiful vocal cuts, "Loved By the Sun" and "The Unicorn Song", the astonishingly beautiful and emotionally powerful closing number.  Loved By the Sun is easily Jon Anderson's finest hour outside of "Horizon".   Much, much better than "Shine" even that is, of course, also a good song in its own right.  Indeed, of all popular albums I have ever had the good fortune to hear by any artist working in any genre, apart from Tubular Bells II & III, and possibly a couple of other of Oldfield's, I have never heard anything greater than the full unedited Legend soundtrack.  Writing it off as "dungeon
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: June 10 2023, 04:25

If you would play the "Legend" soundtrack to a young person today, he would probably identify it as "dungeon synth".

The opening note of the (complete, 1 hour 19 minute) Tangerine Dream Legend soundtrack is pure unadulterated bliss; genius; deeply evocative, ethereal, moving, and positively transcendent, and this same sublime mood is sustained throughout the entire album, through the instrumentals as well as the extraordinarily delightful vocal cuts, "Loved By the Sun" and "The Unicorn Song", the astonishingly beautiful and emotionally devastating closing number- no Terry Oldfield required. The album easily transcends the movie it's associated with and as a work of art stands far above the source material or inspiration, much more than any other film soundtrack, even the other greatest of greats such as Once Upon a Time in America, Suspiria, Profondo Rosso, Journey through the Secret Life of Plants, or The Beyond.  Loved By the Sun is easily Jon Anderson's finest hour outside of "Horizon", and that includes "Shine" (which is of course a decent enough song in its own right). Indeed, of all popular albums I have ever had the good fortune to hear by any artist working in any genre, apart from Tubular Bells II & III, and possibly a couple of other of Oldfield's, I have never heard anything greater, more exquisite and perfectly realized, than the full unedited Legend soundtrack.  Writing it off as "dungeon synth", whatever that is, takes a lot of forgiving, but heck, I'm equal to it.  

As for asking a "young person" today about his or her (or "their") taste in music, a brief perusal of the music charts and popular radio playlists will quickly disabuse you of any notion that young people today are being exposed to quality sounds or developing a critical and good ear for recognizing the same, so I don't see any immediate value or relevance in that particular experiment.

Incidentally the exact same kinds of criticisms are found with all of Mike Oldfield's works.. For example, "he shouldn't have hired Trevor Horn for Tubular Bells II"; "he shouldn't have used the same rhythms throughout Songs of Distant Earth, it should have been more like Amarok"; "The dated eurotrance sound of Light + Shade was cringey";  "He was lazy to write another Moonlight Shadow (i.e., Man in the Rain) for Tubular Bells III" and an endless litany of such misguided complaints.  So it's not surprising to also criticize anything, regardless its true intrinsic value. And again, if we apply your own litmus test - "ask a young person..." - to the works of Mike Oldfield, how do you suppose they will identify, for instance, Incantations?  "Hilariously flaky new-age mung bean and moon crystal girly hippy sh**", I shouldn't wonder.  

In short, or in case of "tl;dr": I didn't coin the phrase "cloth-eared nincompoops", but it does nonetheless sometimes seem uncannily appropriate.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 10 2023, 06:33

Quote (Sentinel_NZ @ June 10 2023, 04:25)

The opening note of the (complete, 1 hour 19 minute) Tangerine Dream Legend soundtrack is pure unadulterated bliss; genius; deeply evocative, ethereal, moving, and positively transcendent, and this same sublime mood is sustained throughout the entire album, through the instrumentals as well as the extraordinarily delightful vocal cuts, "Loved By the Sun" and "The Unicorn Song", the astonishingly beautiful and emotionally devastating closing number- no Terry Oldfield required. The album easily transcends the movie it's associated with and as a work of art stands far above the source material or inspiration, much more than any other film soundtrack, even the other greatest of greats such as Once Upon a Time in America, Suspiria, Profondo Rosso, Journey through the Secret Life of Plants, or The Beyond.  Loved By the Sun is easily Jon Anderson's finest hour outside of "Horizon", and that includes "Shine" (which is of course a decent enough song in its own right). Indeed, of all popular albums I have ever had the good fortune to hear by any artist working in any genre, apart from Tubular Bells II & III, and possibly a couple of other of Oldfield's, I have never heard anything greater, more exquisite and perfectly realized, than the full unedited Legend soundtrack.  Writing it off as "dungeon synth", whatever that is, takes a lot of forgiving, but heck, I'm equal to it.  

As for asking a "young person" today about his or her (or "their") taste in music, a brief perusal of the music charts and popular radio playlists will quickly disabuse you of any notion that young people today are being exposed to quality sounds or developing a critical and good ear for recognizing the same, so I don't see any immediate value or relevance in that particular experiment.

Incidentally the exact same kinds of criticisms are found with all of Mike Oldfield's works.. For example, "he shouldn't have hired Trevor Horn for Tubular Bells II"; "he shouldn't have used the same rhythms throughout Songs of Distant Earth, it should have been more like Amarok"; "The dated eurotrance sound of Light + Shade was cringey";  "He was lazy to write another Moonlight Shadow (i.e., Man in the Rain) for Tubular Bells III" and an endless litany of such misguided complaints.  So it's not surprising to also criticize anything, regardless its true intrinsic value. And again, if we apply your own litmus test - "ask a young person..." - to the works of Mike Oldfield, how do you suppose they will identify, for instance, Incantations?  "Hilariously flaky new-age mung bean and moon crystal girly hippy sh**", I shouldn't wonder.  

In short, or in case of "tl;dr": I didn't coin the phrase "cloth-eared nincompoops", but it does nonetheless sometimes seem uncannily appropriate.

I like the Legend soundtrack. :D I'm just teasing.'

I just remembered a friend who wrote a great piece for piano, and programmed it on a workstation synthesizer. But just as the piece reached its emotional crescendo, there was a piano note SLIDING down from A to G!
It became a joke for years, whenever he sat down at a piano, someone shouterd "Where's the pitch wheel?". :D

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: June 10 2023, 18:49

Quote (larstangmark @ June 10 2023, 06:33)

I like the Legend soundtrack. :D I'm just teasing.'

I just remembered a friend who wrote a great piece for piano, and programmed it on a workstation synthesizer. But just as the piece reached its emotional crescendo, there was a piano note SLIDING down from A to G!
It became a joke for years, whenever he sat down at a piano, someone shouterd "Where's the pitch wheel?". :D

Oh right...Fair enough.  I've listened back to the intro of "Legend" and can't identify the "pitch wheel" moments.

The most incredible song on the album is

Suzanne Pawlitzki - Unicorn Theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3mlt8i4DQA

Which despite in my experience being quite possibly the single most stunning, shatteringly brilliant popular song ever recorded, was never given a proper release on any format whatsoever, let alone had a promotional video made let alone played on MTV or ever charted anywhere in the world, which is an absolute tragedy because not only does the song capture every single good thing about 80s music, it also sweeps up the haunting mystical verse of the visionary Romantic poet William Blake and is by every measure a colossal masterpiece in the true sense of the word. And the chanteuse Pawlitzki herself doesn't appear to have recorded any other songs, apart from maybe one for another much more obscure b-movie soundtrack.  All very weird and unfortunate...That song should have been a monster worldwide hit, and I could imagine any number of mid 80s female singers wanting to cover it, such as Madonna, The Bangles, even Whitney Houston or even Maggie Reilly or Anita Hegerland herself.  I wonder why it never happened? Also in a way, it's a song that wouldn't be out of place on Mike Oldfield's Islands, as it sounds a bit like The Time Has Come, Islands, Northpoint, and When the Night's on Fire.
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: June 13 2023, 07:07

Speaking of Legend, I have a pet theory about the rare Oldfield B-side of the same name (which I love).

I've often wondered if Oldfield composed the piece, which features 2 contrasting moods - one cod-medieval and one lush and romantic - as a sort of audio "pitch" to Ridley Scott and the producers of Legend.

Then, when he didn't get the gig as composer, it became a B-side and Oldfield had to wait a couple more years to get the call from David Puttnam.

Any truth in this at all?
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 13 2023, 10:21

Quote (Platinumpty @ June 13 2023, 07:07)
Speaking of Legend, I have a pet theory about the rare Oldfield B-side of the same name (which I love).

I've often wondered if Oldfield composed the piece, which features 2 contrasting moods - one cod-medieval and one lush and romantic - as a sort of audio "pitch" to Ridley Scott and the producers of Legend.

Then, when he didn't get the gig as composer, it became a B-side and Oldfield had to wait a couple more years to get the call from David Puttnam.

I thought so too, but I think I may have heard it from you!

A personal theory is that after Killing Fields, Mike was trying to get more film music work, so he threw in a couple of short instrumentals on his new single, to see if anyone would take notice.
I think the title "The trap" is the most mysterious. It's the kind of title you assign to a track, based on the film scene it belongs in (kind of like "Pran sees the southern cross" or "Ibiza Bar").

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 13 2023, 21:16

Quote (larstangmark @ June 13 2023, 10:21)
I think the title "The trap" is the most mysterious. It's the kind of title you assign to a track, based on the film scene it belongs in (kind of like "Pran sees the southern cross" or "Ibiza Bar").

Does anyone know whether "The Trap" features a snare drum?
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: June 15 2023, 17:34

Quote (Platinumpty @ June 13 2023, 07:07)

I hadn't heard that song before, thanks for the reference.  But since Killing Fields was released in 1984 and Legend in 1985 your timeline seems to be out?
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: June 16 2023, 01:07

Quote (nightspore @ June 13 2023, 21:16)
Quote (larstangmark @ June 13 2023, 10:21)

Does anyone know whether "The Trap" features a snare drum?

I don't like to sneer, but you could have found that out on the net ;)

Incidentally it isn't only percussion that can get trapped; strings too, as in this lovely piece which is not entirely un-Oldfield-esque.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue27pkqqxVY
Profile PM 
33 replies since June 27 2007, 07:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net