Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Album chart entry positions, How high will it go?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 08:30

From what Korgscrew has heard from Universal, MOTS seems to be so far selling very well in its first week. How high do you think it will chart come the first official charts?

Being in the UK I can only really talk about what might happen here. Sounds like it will be top of the classical charts and if I were to guess a position in the overall charts, I'd say it might enter 4th.

What do you think? What about other countries?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 08:40

The hint was certainly quite strong that it would top the classical chart, though I suppose they don't want to say too much too soon.

It's currently hovering between 4 and 5 on amazon.co.uk's chart, but it's still much lower down on play.com's. I'd guess it'll probably chart somewhere between 5 and 10 in the pop charts, unless sales suddenly climb towards the end of the week.

I can imagine it might top the pop charts in Spain - his albums often do. I haven't seen any sales data though.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 08:48

I`ll be very happy for Mike if it makes the top ten in the UK and it will be no more than he deserves IMO.Top five would be even better,but i`d be very surprised if he manages to out sell that Duffy album and the new(live?)album from Muse.Can only hope that further positive press and word of mouth may keep him up there for a while longer as well.Here`s hoping anyway.
Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 10:00

play.com chart update- NUMBER 8 NOW
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 10:13

The Main Thing that will Help MOTs is that it will have a Very broad Appeal to all Age Groups... So if it Catches on it could quite easily Top 3  or even NO1 overall ... A Few More Shows with Hayley Singing wouldnt do any Harm either....  
Think how many would of been Sold if the Album had been Released last Xmas !!...   Ill say No1 Classical  NO4 Overall.. :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 12:30

#5 on itunes Netherlands, #7 itunes UK.

Holy wow! I can't believe it!

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 13:23

Well, Amazon.com-united states says MOTS won't be available till the 25th. What's up with that? Cripes, I buy my cigs from the ukraine, might as well get my CD's there too. I think I just might move there....mmmm...if I had a job ready for me there.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 21:51

Quote (Scatterplot @ Mar. 19 2008, 13:23)
Well, Amazon.com-united states says MOTS won't be available till the 25th. What's up with that? Cripes, I buy my cigs from the ukraine, might as well get my CD's there too. I think I just might move there....mmmm...if I had a job ready for me there.
Jim

Same (25th) in Australia - gets released through Decca here I think.  Will be interesting to see if packaging / content is any different.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 22:06

As far as I know,it was #1 at iTunes Spain,just seen at MikeOldfieldBlog.com.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 23:26

That information is all wrong; because, like, the album leaked last year so everyone illegally downloaded it, and NOBODY is buying it, like, so because of those evil, evil, EVIL downloaders, like, Universal is not making any money and is going bankrupt, Mike Oldfield is begging for money on the streets and NAZIS ARE COMING BACK FROM THE DEAD, like.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2008, 01:33

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Mar. 20 2008, 23:26)
That information is all wrong; because, like, the album leaked last year so everyone illegally downloaded it, and NOBODY is buying it, like, so because of those evil, evil, EVIL downloaders, like, Universal is not making any money and is going bankrupt, Mike Oldfield is begging for money on the streets and NAZIS ARE COMING BACK FROM THE DEAD, like.

:D Heh heh unfortunatly that`s exactly how I talk like.Like it`s a real bloody curse trying to get people who don`t live round here to take you seriously.Not that the people who live round here take me seriously either like.

Fortunatly Nazis would appear to be not coming back from the dead.But for a lot of people in this country it would appear that maybe Mike is.Great news all round in fact.

One thing about torrents if you download something and don`t like it.You don`t then have to convince yourself into liking it simply because you`ve invested good money in it.Off it goes on it`s merry little way to the recycle bin never to be seen again.Conversely if you do like it you are in a lot of cases much more likely to go out and buy the thing anyway.And maybe track down some of the back catalogue into the bargain.

It`s not an ideal situation I`ll admit and people are getting ripped off no question.But then it goes back to that whole "Home taping is killing music" arguement again.Some artists supported it and some didn`t.At which point I can feel an uneasy air of ambivalence come upon me as I light up another tax exempt roll-up. :p

Looks like Mike and Universal are gonna` be far from bankrupt with this one though.Gan on like!
Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 15:25

It's now official - MOTS has achieved a number 9 position in the UK album charts - http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/albums.shtml

welcome back to chart success, Mike!
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 16:00

Let's also see in Spain and Germany...fingers crossed,Mike's back in the UK charts,yeah \o/

YOU DESERVE IT SO MUCH MIKEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
gary1eye Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 16:30

In the first week of release mike's album is at no 9 in the uk albums list  see  List
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 17:51

Officially a HIT,

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 17:55

I am a happy camper.

What was the last Mike's album to reach UK top 10? And what do you think is the reason of the sudden popularity?

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 18:23

That must make it NO1 in the Classics Chart as nothing above MOTS is Classical...  Remember how Long TB1 was in the Charts all those Years ago!!  Amazes me how some very Average Albums Kick around the top 20 for Months on End .. Well MOTs is not Average so given a bit of Luck it Could be there abouts for a bit!! :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Dave L Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 20:52

Hi everyone,

I am an interloper from the Hayley Westenra International (HWI) fansite and can often be found helping to run the forum there so obviously I'd like to add my congratulations to Mike for not only writing a classical album (brilliant! ) but making it a top 10 hit in the pop charts too.

I bought the album on day 1 and I've played it every day, usually more than once. I bought Tubular Bells when it first came out (yep, I'm that old! ).

Anyway, I thought you'd like to know that the official Classical Artist Chart published by Music Week has Mike at no. 1 so it definitely counts as classical and if my suspicions are correct,  it's the highest charting classical album ever by a contemporary composer (new classical music) if you ignore soundtracks (Titanic). You can't always predict the classical chart because it includes budget albums and a new Mario Lanza budget album is the no. 2 classical but is excliuded from the main album chart.

So well done Mike and I like to think Hayley helped in her own small way to add a few extra sales! :D

Dave
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 21:24

Welcome Dave, and huge thanks for that very interesting information. I for one hope Mike hangs around in this format and Hayley W's contribution is outstanding...i hope they release this segment commercially but the time may have passed for that.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 23:47

Thanks for that, Dave - none of the free online sources seem to be bothering to update their classical charts (I guess you get what you pay for...), so it's good to have confirmation of our suspicions!
Profile PM 
40 replies since Mar. 19 2008, 08:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net