Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Album chart entry positions, How high will it go?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
trcanberra Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 24 2008, 00:13

Quote (Korgscrew @ Mar. 23 2008, 23:47)
Thanks for that, Dave - none of the free online sources seem to be bothering to update their classical charts (I guess you get what you pay for...), so it's good to have confirmation of our suspicions!

Yes - thanks, and great to see it doing so well.  I hope it repeats this success in the USA (and here in Oz) tomorrow.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2008, 07:23

Here's a good site for all of us to scrutinize every five minutes.

http://allcharts.org/music/world/albums.htm

Many charts there.

Yay!  :)
Profile PM 
Dave L Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2008, 12:51

Hi guys,

I thought you might like to see today's report about MoTS in Music Week! Here it is:

"No. 9 - Mike Oldfield

Fairly unsuccessful with his recent rock albums, 54 year-old Mike Oldfield turns to classical music for his second Mercury [label] album, Music of the Spheres and is rewarded  with a number one debut on the classical chart and a number nine debut on the regular albums chart on sales of 21,568.

Oldfield's 27th entry to the published (Top 75) albums chart, it is way more successful than his Mercury label debut, Light & Shade, which peaked at a lowly no. 175 in 2005 and sold only 12,215 copies [in total]."

Looks like it's going well then! MW has also given its midweek chart position today, for this week so far - it is no. 15 and that's the smallest drop of all seven of the new entries in last week's top 20 album chart (one of them dropped 17 places! ).

The classical chart is hard to get hold of so I'll post the top 10 but it will be top of the Classic FM Chart as well, on Saturday morning - and they'll play a track at abbout 11:50 am. (oops sorry if posting images isn't allowed! ):

Dave
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2008, 20:01

In Spain,MOTS entered at #7:

http://www.mikeoldfieldblog.com/2008....umero-7

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2008, 21:47

@ Dave L -

I guess UCJ having 5 entries on that chart is good news - and money well spent on promoting MoTS! ( why do I always want to type MoTD instead?)

Does UCJ have any monks on their new artist rosta I wonder?  :p

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2008, 14:36

Number 13 this Week... Which means its selling to Joe Public as most Fans had it 1st Week out...  Not Bad at all !! :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Dave L Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2008, 22:51

I was very concerned on Friday as then, David Garrett's new album was one place ahead of Mike in the final midweek charts! If he'd stayed there, he would have topped the classical chart instead of Mike. But all was well in the end, Mike #13, David #17 (still very close though) and Mike no. 1 classical again.  But two classical albums in the top 20? My goodness, that doesn't happen very often!  :O

I noticed that MoTS only dropped 4 places in the main chart, which is excellent for a new album in week 2 and is better than all 7 of last week's new entries - great stuff and I suspect the word is getting out about how good this album is. It oozes quality and I play it every day, all the way though! :)

Dave

PS:  The Classic FM Chart DJ on Saturday said Mike has said this will be his last album. Apologies if this is discussed elsewhere in the forum but I'm a newbie and I find it hard to believe. Is it true?
Profile PM 
Dave L Offline

Posted: April 10 2008, 21:04

Hi guys, here is a charts and sales update for anyone interested ;)

Album Chart for weeks 1 to 3: 9th, 13th, 24th.
Classical Artist & Classic FM Chart for Weeks 1 to 3: No. 1, no. 1, no.1.
Sales estimate for weeks 1 to 3: 21,568, 12,000, 7,600 - estimated total 41,168 (+/- 500).

Cheers, Dave
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: April 13 2008, 06:08

Quote (Dave L @ April 10 2008, 21:04)
Hi guys, here is a charts and sales update for anyone interested ;)

Album Chart for weeks 1 to 3: 9th, 13th, 24th.
Classical Artist & Classic FM Chart for Weeks 1 to 3: No. 1, no. 1, no.1.
Sales estimate for weeks 1 to 3: 21,568, 12,000, 7,600 - estimated total 41,168 (+/- 500).

Cheers, Dave

Thanks for the update.

On the last album thing, he has said that before.  One day it will happen, but I have a feeling not at this time.
Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: April 13 2008, 14:49

Album has dropped 9 places to no.33 this week, but it's still well in the top 40 after 4wks. Other rock veterans Van Morrisson and Bryan Adams have disappeared after as many weeks. Interesting to see Mike Batt has 'risen' in the charts. I find his songs (and him) incredibly cheesy. However i have to say CARAVANS ON THE MOVE from the film Caravans is a fantastic instrumental. Batt wrote the film score. Check it out if you don't know it (it's from the late 70's i believe) a great, haunting melody.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: April 14 2008, 07:15

Quote (simmo2005 @ April 13 2008, 14:49)
Album has dropped 9 places to no.33 this week, but it's still well in the top 40 after 4wks. Other rock veterans Van Morrisson and Bryan Adams have disappeared after as many weeks. Interesting to see Mike Batt has 'risen' in the charts. I find his songs (and him) incredibly cheesy. However i have to say CARAVANS ON THE MOVE from the film Caravans is a fantastic instrumental. Batt wrote the film score. Check it out if you don't know it (it's from the late 70's i believe) a great, haunting melody.

Nice.

Does anyone have any idea how it is doing in the US? (if it is "doing" anything there).
Profile PM 
Dave L Offline

Posted: April 17 2008, 15:52

Quote (trcanberra @ April 14 2008, 07:15)

Does anyone have any idea how it is doing in the US? (if it is "doing" anything there).

It's not been in the Billboard 200 at all. It entered the Billboard Classical Crossover Chart at no. 10 then dropped to no. 13 so no, it's not doing much over there. Their loss.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 18 2008, 03:48

Quote (Dirk Star @ Mar. 21 2008, 01:33)
Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Mar. 20 2008, 23:26)
That information is all wrong; because, like, the album leaked last year so everyone illegally downloaded it, and NOBODY is buying it, like, so because of those evil, evil, EVIL downloaders, like, Universal is not making any money and is going bankrupt, Mike Oldfield is begging for money on the streets and NAZIS ARE COMING BACK FROM THE DEAD, like.

:D Heh heh unfortunatly that`s exactly how I talk like.Like it`s a real bloody curse trying to get people who don`t live round here to take you seriously.Not that the people who live round here take me seriously either like.

Fortunatly Nazis would appear to be not coming back from the dead.But for a lot of people in this country it would appear that maybe Mike is.Great news all round in fact.

One thing about torrents if you download something and don`t like it.You don`t then have to convince yourself into liking it simply because you`ve invested good money in it.Off it goes on it`s merry little way to the recycle bin never to be seen again.Conversely if you do like it you are in a lot of cases much more likely to go out and buy the thing anyway.And maybe track down some of the back catalogue into the bargain.

It`s not an ideal situation I`ll admit and people are getting ripped off no question.But then it goes back to that whole "Home taping is killing music" arguement again.Some artists supported it and some didn`t.At which point I can feel an uneasy air of ambivalence come upon me as I light up another tax exempt roll-up. :p

Looks like Mike and Universal are gonna` be far from bankrupt with this one though.Gan on like!

The copies of MotS I've seen on usenet post the album as separate tracks; given that the tracks segue into one another you don't get a perfect copy of the record that way. Still, usenet is a good way of seeing whether you like music enough to buy it.
Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: April 21 2008, 07:11

MOTS is now enjoying its 5th week as No.1 classical album in the UK, and still has a foothold in the general chart at no.48.

It can not be far off receiving Silver or Gold disc status in the UK.

P.S I'ts beaten off stiff competition from Best0selling soprano Sarah Brightman (who debuts this week at no.17) to the no.1 classical spot so good going!
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 21 2008, 09:01

Quote (olracUK @ Mar. 27 2008, 03:47)
I guess UCJ having 5 entries on that chart is good news - and money well spent on promoting MoTS! ( why do I always want to type MoTD instead?)

Not MoTB?  :p
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 21 2008, 17:48

Quote (Dave L @ Mar. 26 2008, 18:51)
Oldfield's 27th entry to the published (Top 75) albums chart, it is way more successful than his Mercury label debut, Light & Shade, which peaked at a lowly no. 175 in 2005 and sold only 12,215 copies [in total]."

That seems awfully little indeed! Can it be true, or is that just sales for the UK? Anyone got any idea how much his other more recent albums sold?
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 21 2008, 18:02

Music of the Spheres beat Sarah Brightman? That's quite surprising, not a feat I'd bet my money on.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: April 21 2008, 20:49

Let's face it. MotS is popular. Let's Dance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30AVhf-ZLwM
Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: April 22 2008, 04:48

Holger, sales listed in Music Week were for UK but obviously that's still pitiful. I think Tres Lunas had similar UK figures.
In Contrast, MOTS debued on sales of 21,000 UK and will not be far off Silver (60K) status by now, based on it's 5-week presence in the charts.
Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: May 04 2008, 19:00

MOTS has now dropped out of the UK top 75, after a very impressive 6-week run!
Profile PM 
40 replies since Mar. 19 2008, 08:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net