Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: After 25,- nearly 26 years, I have learned, to love this with passion< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Unregistered

Posted: June 29 2009, 09:52

and I wonder why?

Some albums from Oldfield needs to "grow" on me a little before I really can appreciate and understand them....it has been a common rule in my life.
Hergest Ridge has always been unattainable - despite many hearings. Dark, gloomy, weird, has been some of my impressions - but no anymore. Suddenly - while I was lying with my mp3 - it pops up. Part 1.... I know the track but not the experiences associated with it. A lot of emotions runs through me - mostly joy but also awe of MO´s guitar playing and the variations in the music when continuing with part 2. I hear jazz, some opera, a bit reggae, rock, pop, "elevator-music" and so on and I'm loving every minute of it and now rate it in my top 5 MO albums.
But - for the love of god - why this sudden change, I have listen to this many times and now nearly 26 years after I became a fan of his music, THIS ALBUM - Hergest Ridge - works for me...oh well.. it´s a treat (spelled correct?).
:O

The original TB has always also been too dark for me but after the crisp and clean TB 2003 version, which I love, I begin to enjoy the original TB too.
I still find Incantations to repetitive too me and I don't enjoy it, but maybe there is hope onwards....maybe in another 25 years - 2034, I love that too    :p

Light & Shade is a whole other matter.....I will fight to hate this gay-fruity-loops-software-push-button-presets-album to the end of my days - in fact, the very last thing I want to do before closing my eyes and exhale my last breath of air, is to spit on the cover..
:D
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 29 2009, 10:24

I don't think it's the album that "grow" -- it's our perceptions that change. We become attuned to different kinds of musical enjoyment. Change is usually good, and I can't see any ill side-effect to that.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 29 2009, 10:53

For God Sakes Man(trying to sound like Bones McCoy), I hope it was the original mix! I cherish that recording like life itself. My mother once said "Thanks for the church service Jim" when I played the LP one Sunday many years ago.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 29 2009, 12:29

Quote (Scatterplot @ June 29 2009, 10:53)
My mother once said "Thanks for the church service Jim" when I played the LP one Sunday many years ago.

I think you're mum (or "mom") was right - Hergest Ridge is how a church service should be.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: June 29 2009, 13:11

Quote (Scatterplot @ June 29 2009, 16:53)
For God Sakes Man(trying to sound like Bones McCoy), I hope it was the original mix! I cherish that recording like life itself. My mother once said "Thanks for the church service Jim" when I played the LP one Sunday many years ago.

Scatter, I'm not sure what you mean with original "mix", but it is Hergest Ridge - the original recording as released in 1974 - No mix, no excerpt - just the album  :cool:

I agree that especially the second part could be somewhat "high spirited" thing, but I love it just the same, but nothing on the album can beat Mikes moody guitar playing from about 2.15 and onwards from part 1..
lovely, yummy, delicious,     :p
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: June 29 2009, 13:14

Lets not beat about the Bush guys you just like to "Airguitar" to Side Two.. lol.. :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: June 29 2009, 13:47

My God Man, I'm a doctor not an air guitar player! Try that sh$% and a solar flare will come cook us in our seats!

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: June 29 2009, 20:07

Quote (prisoner.of.the.dark.sky @ June 29 2009, 17:11)
Quote (Scatterplot @ June 29 2009, 16:53)

Scatter, I'm not sure what you mean with original "mix", but it is Hergest Ridge - the original recording as released in 1974 - No mix, no excerpt - just the album  :cool:

I agree that especially the second part could be somewhat "high spirited" thing, but I love it just the same, but nothing on the album can beat Mikes moody guitar playing from about 2.15 and onwards from part 1..
lovely, yummy, delicious,     :p

Yes I have to agree, maybe Hergest Ridge is a religious experience.  Just how I imagine a traditional  church service  to sound like , with the choral vocals.

I agree Prisoner HR is a most beautiful, "Yummy, delicious" album as you describe it , makes me want to eat it   :laugh: .  I can smell that fresh Herefordshire air from here.  However it took me two listens to become a convert :D .  I do think the horns are a bit superflous on the original, as opposed to the 1976 remix.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: July 01 2009, 12:55

Quote (moonchildhippy @ June 30 2009, 02:07)
I agree Prisoner HR is a most beautiful, "Yummy, delicious" album as you describe it , makes me want to eat it   :laugh: .  I can smell that fresh Herefordshire air from here.  However it took me two listens to become a convert :D .  I do think the horns are a bit superflous on the original, as opposed to the 1976 remix.

Weird thing..

I have now found a orchestral Hergest Ridge with David Bedford (the premiere concert - without Mike Oldfield)
and I love this even more. Don´t know the guitarist listed, but he sure makes a grand job...

Now I'm hooked on a ridge   :D
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: July 02 2009, 07:38

Quote (prisoner.of.the.dark.sky @ July 01 2009, 12:55)
Weird thing..

I have now found a orchestral Hergest Ridge with David Bedford (the premiere concert - without Mike Oldfield)
and I love this even more. Don´t know the guitarist listed, but he sure makes a grand job...

Now I'm hooked on a ridge   :D

Hi Prisoner,

I purchased the "Orchestral HR" off eBay several years ago from a seller in England. I was shocked when it arrived - that it was a CDR. I immediately contacted the seller and he said I could return it. After listening to it several times, and falling in love with it! I couldn't part with it. The CDR came with a very nice printed insert and tray card so I decided, in all, it was worth keeping as I don't believe there is an "official" CD release of this wonderfu concert yet. I still enjoy it today and consider the CDR a cherished part of my MO collection.

I'd rather Mike had played guitar instead of Steve Hillage but that's my personal opinion. The concert is still quite moving, especially the violins on part two. The "thunderstorm" part nearly brings me to tears with it's raw power!

Glad you're enjoying this wonderful event!

Harry
Profile PM 
9 replies since June 29 2009, 09:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net