Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Afro Celt Sound System< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TOBY Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 08 2003, 16:05

Just wondering what peoples general opinions were on the 2nd and 3rd ACSS albums? I've got the first album which I like a lot, are the others worth getting? I heard a track by them a while ago that had Peter Gabriel on vocals that if I remember rightly sounded really good. Which album is this on, anybody know? Cheers.
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 08 2003, 19:11

The track with PG is on their third album - the track was called "When You're Falling." Also on that one is their collaboration with Robert Plant which is... interesting.

My personal favourite is the second album, which was also the first one I bought. Both are worth getting, IMHO.

If you like that stuff then can I also direct you towards 1 Giant Leap and Paul Mounsey's Nahoo series of albums.
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2003, 20:45

I've got their three albums as well,  and as a matter of fact I too prefer the second one.
Just buy them all. It's worth it.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2003, 21:29

For me, I prefer the 3rd album over the 2nd, if only because I bought it first and have heard it more. They're both good. Can't wait to see ACSS live later this month in Perth, and for the 4th album later this year.  :cool:
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2003, 18:44

Cheers chaps I'll buy them both. I've already heard a track off the second album that sounded great so they sound like a good bet.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2003, 08:17

Just got my 2 ACSS CD's from play.com. Very good, haven't listened to the third album yet but the second is brill, love track 10. If anybody reading this has never heard there stuff then I sincerely recomend them, some great instrumental work as well.

Which begs the question 'why didn't 'Voyager' sound like this'?    Indeed this is exactly the sort of mix of rich acoustic instrumentation, great percussion work and well thought out synth sounds I would expect Mike to be producing, he should take a listen!
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2003, 03:29

Well, Friday was the free ACSS concert - absolutely fantastic! If you get the chance, see these guys live, it is brilliant. The class of the music, coupled with the sense that the members all look like they're having as good a time and love playing together - and the fact that half of them seem to be complete nutters ;). Awesome.  :cool:
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2003, 13:34

Yeah I've got some video footage of them playing live, they do look relly good and musically quite tight considering the amount of instuments being played.

Also Tim I've just worked out you're in Perth Austalia and not Perth Scotland, I thought I'd just missed a good local gig. ;)
Profile PM 
liz197 Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2003, 14:10

who is acss? never heard of it, suppose it cant be as good as santanas music
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2003, 16:36

Well liz 197, it's like comparing apples with pears.

Santana sounds South-American. ACSS are a mixture of African, Gaelic and modern dance music.

Besides, when you agree that Carlos Santana has reached his high peaks in the '70s... ACSS haven't reached theirs yet.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
liz197 Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2003, 05:50

lets hope they have a longer life then johnny clegg then!
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2003, 23:43

Lucky you hadn't missed anything TOBY. For those who are interested and can get past some rather shocking photography, I've got a few photographs from the concert I saw last week:

Afro Celt Sound System photos

Such as:

Profile PM WEB 
oblique Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2003, 06:43

ACSS update :

Name changed into Afrocelts.....
Fourth album out now, called "Seed"

For all those music-lovers who want to hear some newly composed music   ;)
( sorry Mike, no offence)

--------------
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: April 08 2003, 06:26

Matt, Tim, Toby, someone......?

Surely I'm not the onlyone interested?

--------------
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 08 2003, 13:16

Yeah I saw an advert for it in the music press, its interesting that they've shortened their name. Is the new album any good? I love the first and second albums but the third is a bit lacking in some way.
Profile PM 
14 replies since Jan. 08 2003, 16:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net