Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Acoustic pick-up, Any ideas?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Caveman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 07 2008, 07:45

I've started to gig with my new acoustic trio and i find myself becoming increasingly frustrated with having to mic up the acoustic.I real pain in the bum and the sound's never too great.So i need to get a pick-up for it but i want something passive as i don't fancy taking a chunk out of the side to fit a pre-amp.I've been looking at the Seymour Duncan Woody sound hole pick up.Looks very easy to install (Yay)and like it's up to the job.I love the company's ellectric pick-ups and was wondering if any of you good people have had any experience with this  pick-up.The guitar's a spruce topped Simon&Patrick S&P6.
Also i want to use a volume pedal in conjunction with this.Could anyone recommend a good sturdy volume pedal that dooesn't colour the sound in anyway and feels more positive under foot than a Schaller.Ta.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: May 08 2008, 01:13

I like the Dean Markley Pro Mag. Here's a lot of volume pedals to look at:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=volume+pedal&st=

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 08 2008, 03:22

Thanks man!I was thinking about getting the BOSS mono volume pedal.Odd really cos i really don't like 99% of BOSS pedals. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: May 08 2008, 05:08

You mean the 4th pedal from the top? Add some strings to your order......free shipping for stuph over $99.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 08 2008, 05:39

Cool but i'm UK based so it's easier to go to the big store in Oxford.Like to try stuff out thoroughly before i part with my hard earned cash.That  was the pedal i was thinking of though.Looks like it'll take some wear and tear.Thanks for the info.

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: May 08 2008, 07:20

Bummer. If you were in the US, you would not have to pay sales tax either. Well, have fun............
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 08 2008, 07:50

Thanks.

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 09 2008, 22:12

I do tend to find that all pickups are a bit of a compromise, but then in a lot of environments, miking up ends up being that too. I do like having a pickup there to just allow me to plug in when need be. It then really comes down to which compromise you prefer, I think.

I find the magnetic ones always tend to have a tiny bit of that magnetic electric guitar kind of sound to them. That's of course not necessarily a bad thing - it just depends on whether it suits your style of playing or not. I remember quite liking the sound of the Mike Vanden Mimesis pickups, which are now made by Fishman, sold as the Rare Earth series. They're not terribly cheap, though.

Piezo systems tend to have that slightly quacky sound. My own preference with those are the pickups made by Headway, which I've had fitted to a number of instruments made by Paul Hathway. He'll fit them into other instruments on request. I find they tend to sound very close to natural, though it depends what they're plugged into at the time. I use active versions, but without any external controls - the battery is fitted into a small holder on the neck block, and quite easily replaced by just reaching in through the soundhole. This way of fitting them means that the only telltale sign of a pickup being installed is the larger end pin. They're under saddle pickups (though I think they might do one which isn't), so it does mean a very minor amount of surgery to the instrument to fit it, but I like the convenience of having it permanently there, without it feeling like there's stuff stuck onto the instrument that doesn't belong there. I don't find that they affect the acoustic sound at all (though it's of course hard to say for sure, considering they were there from the start, but they sound as good as, if not slightly better than other instruments without the pickup installed).

This also depends on what kind of places you're playing at, of course, and what your act's like. If you're playing quiet venues and don't move around a lot, you could always try some different microphones to see if you can get a sound that you prefer. I think I've mentioned Oktava MK-012s before - you can get a set with three different capsules, which won't break the bank, and ought to give a decent reproduction of the sound of an acoustic guitar. Their sound tends to suit acoustic guitars fairly well.
More pricey is the Neumann KM184, which will give you an instant 'produced' sound with a subtle (yet smooth) top end lift. They get used a lot for acoustic guitar performances in theatres. I'd not be so confident about using them in a noisy pub environment...the hypercardioid KM185 (or indeed, the Oktava's hypercardioid capsule) might do a slightly better job, but there does come a point where the surrounding noise is so great that all a mic does is amplify that further, unless it's stuffed right inside the guitar, or somewhere equally bad sounding.

You may of course find you get the most joy from combining the sounds from a pickup and a mic together. It starts to get fiddly then, though. Under the right conditions, I like to go for the ultimate sound, but under many, I really prefer to go for what's actually most sensible. My feeling is that as long as the solution isn't offensive sounding and as long as I can play well using it, I'm fairly happy. I tend to get drawn to solutions which are efficient and convenient - though I'm familiar enough with all sorts of different bits of kit and can use them to get the results I want, I'd really rather just plug in and play if I can! Of course, ask me again in 10 years' time and I might give a different answer ;)
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 12 2008, 03:59

Wow....lot of info.Thanks Korg.

--------------
Profile PM 
8 replies since May 07 2008, 07:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net