Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: About Light & Shade, Do you like or not?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ubik210486 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 17:14

I've already heard the whole album and I think that it isn't a step back for Mike Oldfield (as I supposed at first it was going to be).
Blackbird, Rocky, Sunset, Surfing, Tears of an Angel and Ringscape are amazing, are pure Oldfield style, but more technological.
However, there are horrible details (like Romance... aargh) in this album. He isn't the one we met on TB, Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn or Amarok, but he's still Mike, and we can be very pleased because now he has released this album.
Profile PM 
Rileman Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 07:34

I buyed Light+Shade yesterday..and listened to the whole of it. I have to say it's amazing..and wonderful.
It was hard to hold my tears back (of happiness, of course :) )when I heard the first track of Light, Angelique. That track sounds so lonely to me. :/ So far, I think it's the best track on Light. Also First steps and Our father is great. All the tracks on the two cd's are great, but I prefer the Light cd.

Hm..what about the track Closer? It's got the same
melody as the old song Nearer, my God, to thee ?
And the booklet says it's written by Mike. Hmm...

Does anybody know if Mike sings or use his vocal on
some of the tracks?

Thanks Mike! :cool:  :)

--------------
It's not easy going where no-one goes, and no-one knows...
Profile PM 
CuNimb Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 07:42

Gonna have to let this grow on me! I liked Quicksilver straight away (although it's a bit of a Robert miles rip-off). I just can't listen to The Gate. A lot of the other stuff is Tres Lunas - thought I'd already bought and paid for that one. Some of it is nearer my god to thee. Another one is an old guitar piece (romance) horribly bought up to date. I quite like slipstream but I understand that this is a Fruity loops melody. A lot of the other stuff could have been done by anyone. Not given in on it yet but not impressed so far. I like the u-myx thing though. :/

--------------
Happy? ha ha ha....
Profile PM 
Magellan Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 13:57

I'm with CuNimb, I'll have to let this one grow on me but I'm pretty sure it won't be in my favourites pile.

All of it sounds pretty reserved/conservative compared to majority of his other works. I love Mike's signature guitar wails that send shivers up my spine, and didn't find any of those moments on the two discs of L&S. :(

Maybe being on a new label, he's being a bit more conservative to start? I don't know.

Quick Silver and Sunset are great tracks though. I'll have to listen to these discs a few more times.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 14:16

Although I did get shivers up my spine when I heard TOAA for the first time, and thats the first time thats happened with a Mike tune in a good few years, possibly even since hearing TSODE for the first time. But generally i'm not getting much out of L+S now that its finally sitting in my CD drawer. The good stuff I've heard umpteen times before from playing Tres Lunas and there is just a handful of good 'new' tracks, those being for me Blackbird which is nice Angelique which is also harmlessly nice, TOAA which is awsome and Surfing for the guitar solo, and the rest just isn't doing it for me at all so far. I'm quite suprised by how utterly un memorable Mike's first collaboration in years is - NightShade. Two obviously very talented musicians work together on a track and all they can jointly come up with is this utterly forgetable little tune that seems to go nowhere? Quite shocking really
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 14:31

I bought it on Monday morning, took it home and played it. It will never see the inside of my CD player again. Oldfield has taken the piss before, but this is beyond belief. There is a saying used in some partts of England, "Can't be arsed", and I think that was what went through Oldfields mind just before producing this drivel. I wasted 14.95 on Mike Oldfields attempt at being a Jean michelle Jarre tribute band.
Magellan Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 14:34

I'm thinking the same.

I listen to a lot of Chillout/Ambient and practically all the stuff on Light is unremarkable against that backdrop. Stronger/edgier guitars in a Chillout context could have yielded some innovative stuff, but I think Light misses the opportunity.

In Nightshade you can hear hints of Mike's signature guitar screams in the background but it's really too faint to be noticeable. Isn't this u-myx stuff supposed to allow you to change all this to make it sound the way you want it to? ;)
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 14:53

Yeah I don't know how or why Mike sounds so generic on this album. If it wasn't for his signature guitar sound I quite genuinely wouldn't know this was a MO album for quite few tracks, all musical individality seems to be lost somewhere, possibly up the arse end of numerous software synths and a desire to played as background musak in the bars of Ibiza. On the plus side i'm getting slightly more into Resolution tonight, its Ok once it gets going but when it does get going it just seems to go nowhere. Also the bonus track Lakme is truly a musical abomination of the worst kind, presumably this isn't Mike though but part of his deal with Fruity Loops, god its awful.  

Finally is it stipulated in Mike's contracts that he has to have a musical reference to TB on every album? Quicksilver just seems to be built around the TB2 piano tune
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 15:11

Quote (Magellan @ Sep. 27 2005, 18:57)
Maybe being on a new label, he's being a bit more conservative to start? I don't know.

Sounds likely, Tubular bells II imo was a very conservative album to release as his first with Warner.

My album arrives tomorrow/the next day!  :D

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 15:25

hi
this is no good - better luck next time MO

tyj
Profile PM 
Magellan Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 15:29

Quote (torbenyj @ Sep. 27 2005, 15:25)
hi
this is no good - better luck next time MO

tyj

haha... don't hold back. Let us know what you really feel! :D
Profile PM 
Cinos Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 15:36

I find this release very emotional and warm. I also can say that the synths aren't, for the most part, badly used. I've heard much worse. Light + Shade is a pleasure to listen to, and it certainly sets an atmosphere... transporting you to a whole different place.  :)

Perhaps it's harder to hear if you like "real" instruments, but I assure you, the synthwork IS NOT BAD. It does it's job well.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 16:44

I have no problem with synth's or electronic music. I've loved the likes of Tangerine Dream, Jean Michelle Jarre etc for years, and I have a great affection for Trance music, but I won't tolerate garbage, no matter what it's played on, or who it's played by.
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 16:46

Quote (TanGram @ Sep. 27 2005, 16:44)
but I won't tolerate garbage, no matter what it's played on,

I was going to offer you an old tin box to play it on, but I guess that is out of the question. No matter what it is fitted with.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 17:07

Now that was funny :D
kcarr292 Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 04:31

I've listened to nothing but this album for the last few days so that when I came to write this I didn't just give a kneejerk reaction to it.  I think that overall it's one of his best attempts in the last five or six years but it's no classic.  I think Mike far too heavily courts the Ibiza sound and frankly others do that better.  I like my Mike Oldfield a little less reliant on synthetic sounds, synthetic vocals (which are a bit hit and miss on this) and with a bit less bloody drum loops.  I remember well about fifteen years ago when Mike took to his tent in his back garden as a protest against the drum machine and here we see him subscribing to the idea without shame.  He certainly is a bit of a mystery isn't he?    On the plus side I think Mikes gift for melody is still very much alive and there are some very good, well wrought pieces on this double album.  Great music is still a possibility as the light still burns there somewhere.
I tell you what would be a challenge Mike .... put your love of technology for the hell of it to one side for just one album.  Get out your guitars, get some real musicians with real ethnic instruments and get the creative "unplugged" Oldfield out of his box.  GO ON , YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!!!  

(yes, I know I'm a dinosaur!;)
Profile PM 
Cinos Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 05:27

Quote (kcarr292 @ Sep. 28 2005, 04:31)
I remember well about fifteen years ago when Mike took to his tent in his back garden as a protest against the drum machine and here we see him subscribing to the idea without shame.  He certainly is a bit of a mystery isn't he?  

Perhaps he realized that there's no shame in using synths if you do it well, that they are just as "real" as actual, physical, instruments.

Mike isn't a master of synths, but he does it well... and could probably learn to do it really good.
Profile PM 
Rileman Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 06:50

I've listened to Light+Shade a few times now and the music
are growing bigger and bigger and closer to my heart and thoughts. :) I can't get enough of it.
And I can't see anything bad with it. I love Amarok and all those of his earlier works where he only plays real instruments. But to me, his more electric music is good too.
I think you should'nt complain about it! :(
To me, it got the same quality as Amarok, 'cause it's still his thoughts and his feelings that's
translated to music. Maybe he wants to tell something
with his music of today, something he don't want to tell us
with making music the same way as he did on Amarok or his earlier records. ;)
He's really not making music for money or making something as fast as possible to make his fans happy, with making electronic music. He only wants to do his thing and don't complain about it! :( The main thing is that HE is satisfied and happy with his music!

--------------
It's not easy going where no-one goes, and no-one knows...
Profile PM 
17 replies since Sep. 26 2005, 17:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net