Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: A Wrinkle Between Us, How I spent an entire Sunday...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ktran Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 04 2003, 01:16

Hello Everyone,

The guitar part particularly surprised me a bit... I didn't think I had that in me. There's a handful of mistakes in it, but correcting it's going to be rather difficult, as the guitar part is basically entirely improvised.

Like most of my stuff, this seems to be inspired by Mike as well as by U2. I hope you like it... It's a bit rough as it is, but I think it's enough to get the idea across.

rgds,

Khoa Tran

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
ktran Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2003, 01:18

a link would be nice, I guess...

http://publish.uwo.ca/~ktran/media/wrinkle_betwen_us.mp3 (link updated)

rgds,

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 04 2003, 02:57

temporarily suspended.....that's what I got :D

hihih...can I sing that? :)

TEMPoooooooooooo-------------raaaaaaaa----rilyyyyy---lyyy-lyyyy-lyyyy [vocoded voice] s-s-s-s-sus-sus-su-sus-su-sus-pen-pen-pen (not pen*s)-pendeeeeeeeeeeeeed [/vocoded voice]

Just kiddin' looking forward to hear what you have done :)

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
ktran Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2003, 12:07

Temporarily suspended: that happens every so often, unfortunately when I "exceed my bandwidth limit for the day." Usually it kicks back in an hour or two later. It should be okay as of right now.

music link

I've _got_ to find a better place to put my files...

rgds,

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2003, 13:02

Hello there...
nice track you've got...a catchy composition it is. But I think you could do lot better about the soundquality...as it is it's rather poor :-/

but I can say that I like this piece  :cool: it's interresting maybe a bit chill out also very nice :)

can I offer my mastering services and try this? :)

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
ktran Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2003, 13:17

Booster:

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad you like it. As for the sound quality... hmmm... My keyboard doesn't get the greatest piano sound. And actually, since I'm currently on this whole "do every bloody thing myself" kick, I'd really appreciate it if you could _teach_ me what to do to clean up the sound quality   :)

thanks very much

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
ktran Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2003, 18:03

Quote (ktran @ Aug. 04 2003, 13:17)
Booster:

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad you like it. As for the sound quality... hmmm... My keyboard doesn't get the greatest piano sound. And actually, since I'm currently on this whole "do every bloody thing myself" kick, I'd really appreciate it if you could _teach_ me what to do to clean up the sound quality   :)

thanks very much

Okay folks...

Thanks to Booster's comments, I've "remastered" the recording, giving it a bit more headroom and trying to separate the instruments a bit better.

Also, since the Angelfire bandwidth allotment is so pathetic, I've put it up on my university web account, which, since I've graduated, might get cut off sometime soon :-)

http://publish.uwo.ca/~ktran/media/wrinkle_betwen_us.mp3

I hope you like it!

rgds,

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2003, 10:18

Sorry, ktran, but this time Satyagraha has beaten you, in the sense that I like his 'August' thing more than yours. :) Anyway, it's cool. If the piano part were a little bit more regular, it would be cooler. ;) Or is the irregularity intented? :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired (Not at my com
Unregistered

Posted: Aug. 05 2003, 13:46

Yes the piano is not in time. If it were better quantized it would have sounded better. I do really like the piece, though. Very nice! Like I do with many tracks, I picture how it sounds in my head with drums and more synth etc. Too bad I don't have the equipment to sometimes bring what I have in my head to pass.

Gj again!
ktran Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2003, 21:09

Mr. Ugo: you're implying that I've "beaten" him sometime in the past?? :-)

Seriously, at the moment, there's obviously no comparison between complexity and execution of our works, and I'd hope this can be largely attributed to the fact that I'm still rather new at taking music somewhat seriously. But I am glad you found my piece to be cool.

Naw... I can't really play the piano, so the irregularity is not intentional at all. I just picked it up again for the first time in years, not having progressed that far in the first place, and this was a bit of a challenge, as the part was definitely beyond my technical ability. But hey, I can only get better, one would hope!

Mr. Musically Inspired: What's "quantized?" My keyboard is a pretty sorry piece of early '90s consumer technology indeed, so there are limitations to how good it can sound. I've tried to look around for cheap/free/good (I know, a difficult combination) rhythm and drum software, but thus for with little success. But then, a part of me just wants to buy a djembe or some bongos and bang away... Oh, right, timing is my worst problem when it comes to musicianship, so that might be an issue :-)

thnks to both for your comments.

rgds,

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2003, 23:53

Mr. Musically Inspired: What's "quantized?"

Well, that can be answered by what you said here:

Oh, right, timing is my worst problem when it comes to musicianship, so that might be an issue :-)

Basically, quantized means perfectly in time. It's a function in MIDI programs to 'quantize' the notes that were recorded into perfect time in a time signature.

My, I sound like I know what I'm talking about :).

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
ktran Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2003, 06:51

Basically, quantized means perfectly in time. It's a function in MIDI programs to 'quantize' the notes that were recorded into perfect time in a time signature.

My, I sound like I know what I'm talking about :).

Hmmm... therein lies a problem... Nothing I do is really MIDI (yet) -- I don't sequence, and I just record the output of my keyboard (which isn't midi capable) , or the output of the "pitch-to-midi" software I use to simulate a guitar synth setup.

But thanks for the definition... I didn't know software could do that! Screw practising piano :-)

rgds,

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
Ecco Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2003, 13:55

I really like the FEEL of this piece. It reminds me a bit of "First Excursion" off of Mike's collab album with David Bedford.
I don't care for MIDI so the piano timing errors don't bother me. (it sounds like there is a real human playing)
It would be great if you could maybe double-track the guitar and pan it into stereo because you have such a nice,expansive sound there, and it's very nicely played. :)

--------------
http://www.myspace.com/twilighttide
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2003, 13:59

Hmmm... therein lies a problem... Nothing I do is really MIDI (yet) -- I don't sequence, and I just record the output of my keyboard (which isn't midi capable) , or the output of the "pitch-to-midi" software I use to simulate a guitar synth setup.

I guessed that. I just used the term because it doesn't sound 'quantized' or aka 'in time'.

And the guitar playing is quite nice. Great job on this, dude.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Gander
Unregistered

Posted: Aug. 13 2003, 12:24

Please record that piano again, it's completely out of sync with everything, including itself. And you need to shape your song, this is just on and off.
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2003, 13:26

Basically the same comments as with your previous pieces: I like your style, but your rhythm is you biggest flaw. Though I'm wondering if these irregular rhythms maybe are a part of your style, 'cause that crazy piano has a nice feel on it.

But it's probably best to do something about your rhythm in the future, 'cause I guess it won't always turn out as good as this.

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
ktran Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2003, 21:47

Wow, I'd wondered where you'd run away to... Good to see you're back!

Well, I'm glad I got at least that much :-) Thanks for the balanced perspective. I realise that my timing is the weakest part of my playing, and it's something that I'm trying to work on consciously. Compounding this is the fact that I really don't play piano... Oh well... I'm glad you dig the style, though. Hopefully I'm doing something that is unique to myself, but still is unashamed of my influences...

rgds,

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
16 replies since Aug. 04 2003, 01:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net