Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: A town..., Soundtrack part 2..< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 18 2003, 13:08

This tune is for the same game I wrote the other guitar song from. This tune is for a town. This one (especially the 'bridge' part) is sorta influenced by MO. It's kinda folky. I thought it fit well. So do my teammates. Do you think it does?

http://smc.sq7.org/brandon/town.ogg

PS - The guitar isn't a real guitar. It's MIDI. So it would explain why it sounds rather....not really guitar-y :).

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Posted: May 18 2003, 13:43

Does it fit well, you ask? I don't think anyone on this board can answer that one. I once tried to make music for a flash game, and it teached me that themes almost fully depend on the visuals, the graphics (I know, with adventure games it goes a bit deeper, but still...). So if you really want to ask us wether it fits, I think you should add a screenshot of the town.

Enough for the nit-picking: I think you've done a good job on the composition. But I think there's something else which might be a concern (I'm nit-picking again...). I notice this one sounds much more MIDI-ish than the previous one (wether it's really a midi or not  ;) ). I think you should be careful that this won't result in a to big contrast between the music pieces in the game. I mean, if your other tracks would have the sound quality of the hero theme, then I think this would be an 'ugly duck'. I don't mean it's bad on it's own, it's just like having a QE2 bit on Amarok if you know what I mean.
Maybe I'm going a bit far on my comments, but I would hate to see the end product like I described, while I could have told you sooner. :D

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 

Posted: May 18 2003, 13:51

themes almost fully depend on the visuals

True. But does it 'feel' like a town is all I'm asking. We don't have any art done yet so it would be kinda hard to make a screenshot of it :).

I think you should be careful that this won't result in a to big contrast between the music pieces in the game.

Hmmm thanks for the advice there. The previous tune was made after this town theme and it only had a guitar and strings so it was a little easier to make it more realistic (the previous was MIDI). I'm not really going for fooling people into thinking I used a real orchestra for the music. Just basically music that can pass and get by as real. Once you're playing a game you don't really notice anyway. It has to stand out enough to enhance the gameplaying experience, but in the background enough so it won't be too 'in your face-ish' as well.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: May 18 2003, 14:11

I think it fits quite good to be ...a "town" well I can imagine that ;) when listening...people in the streets... and so on ;)

sound quality is when compared to "hero" rather poor (well finally) haha

but the sound of that midi guitar is quite interresting :) soundfont? gimme :D

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 

Posted: May 18 2003, 16:22

Sorry no soundfont. All from my Roland MT-200. :) It's actually 2 different guitar sounds playing the same thing. One more in the left speaker and one more in the right speaker.

I'm also interested how you guys think it's poorer quality than the hero track. How exactly? What gives that impression? I'd like to know your thoughts..

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: May 19 2003, 04:51

I guess it's just the flute of the town theme being more midi-ish than the guitar of Bryan's theme. I don't think there's another reason.

--------------
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: May 19 2003, 09:56

yes the flute is strange...if you want some better sample just tell me I can send over a soundfont or whatever you'd wish ;)

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: May 19 2003, 10:06

lol, Booster The Sound Dealer!  :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Q! Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 19 2003, 12:10

Yeah, it sounds midish but it's not necessary a bad thing in this case as it has the certain 'feeling'.

You might find these interesting:
http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/mp3/000809.shtml
http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/mp3/000719.shtml

--------------
http://qisgod.host.sk/
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: May 19 2003, 18:55

Which 'flute' are you talking about? the one at the beginning or the one that starts at around 0:15? Because the ones at the beginning aren't even flutes. It's an oboe and a basoon. But a flute (or was it piccolo?) plays at around 0:15 and other parts of the song. Not much I can do about it, I'm afraid. And Booster, I don't use soundfonts. I have no way of using them. So no thanks :).

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: May 19 2003, 20:33

Not much I can do about it, I'm afraid.

That's cool. Just be a bit careful with your future tracks, and there won't be any problems. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: May 19 2003, 21:24

I'll be careful, but it completely relies on the sounds I have on my MT-200. So unless I can make my own MIDI sequencer, I'm outta luck :). I have a few other means of obtaining sounds, though I suppose. I got the directmusic sounds I can obtain with Winamp, an MT-32, a Wingroove software software synthesizer, a Virtual Sound Canvas software synthesiser, a Yamaha software synthesiser, and of course my good ol' classic 16-bit MIDI sounds. Though I'll not be using those (16-bit) for high quality tracks :).

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: May 21 2003, 15:48

...I would try to find some noises like people screaming on a market place...and you know just imagine...hundreds years ago in towns were market places and people came there to buy and sell...that's it :)

maybe speaking...little bells...maybe also some animal sounds...

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: May 21 2003, 22:01

All that kind of stuff will be added later on in the actual game when we put in the sound effects. But one of two things will happen, we'll either record sound effects over the song and save it, or we'll have the sound effects playing over the song separately in the game (so the sounds aren't actually in the song file). But either way, they will be added.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
13 replies since May 18 2003, 13:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net