Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: A Special Day< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TimHighfield Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 14 2001, 02:36

Today, 14th February, is a special day. Not because of St Valentine's Day, but because today, 14/02/2001, is four days away from the 10th anniversay of the release of Heaven's Open, a very misunderstood and criticised album, but one that does not always deserve this. Sometimes it may, but most of the time, this is uncalled for, usually because people were expecting Amarok II as the previous release by Mike was Amarok.

But I feel here, in this country, and throughout the world, we should lay down our taunts and boos, and for one day, Sunday 18th February 2001, recognise the good points of this album.

Start preparing.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Fox Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2001, 13:11

I know it's a day early, but I just can't wait!!

This under rated album deserves its day. Personally, I like the following (just to get this topic started):

1. The sinister atmosphere is a welcome change from the usual mood.
  2. The lyrics. You'd be surprised how often I've thought of Mr. Shame whenever I meet someone who really gets on my nerves
  3. When I come to a time in my life that looks promising; when there's hope on the horizon; when in the midst of tough times I feel hopeful for the future: I've been known to sing Heaven's Open.
  4. MFTB is even crazier than Amarok! The even more unorthadox music in this track attracts me to it (it's different hehehe)
  5. When I feel opressed by pressure that others put on me, I think of Gimmie Back.
  6. Michael's voice is unique. I don't think it sounds bad at all! Simply no one else couldn't sang the songs with as much emotion as the one going through the events the songs speak of.

In short, I think HO is probably the CD that applies to most peoples' hard times in life, and yet also glimmers for hope of the future.

*The Official Spokesperson for Mike's Underrated Albums steps off his soapbox waving to the crowd, if there is one*
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2001, 00:09

Well, today's the day. Heaven's Open is now 10 years old. And today's playlist (choose your own order):

Make Make
No Dream
Mr Shame
Gimme Back
Heaven's Open
Music from the Balcony
Heaven's Open 12" mix
Fed Up Fed Up demo

<repeat endlessly>

Back soon...

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2001, 05:42

Yes, me again.

What I like about Heaven's Open:
  • Mike's singing. Knock it at your peril, it is great- especially No Dream and Heaven's Open, there is power and emotion there
  • Those guitar solos on the aforementioned songs
  • The other tracks- Make Make is infectious, but that's not necessarily bad; Mr Shame is good, probably the main attack on Richard Branson; Gimme Back has a message behind it; Music From The Balcony is just MAD!
  • The hidden messages- with the final message from the "Son" of the "Virgin" (Not blasphemous)
  • Mike's experimentation: MFTB is what Amarok would have been like if Mike hadn't done it mostly by hand. Plus we get saxophone again- it's good, especially with the rockish sections throughout the piece
  • It gave us "two slightly sampled monkeys"- thanks Archangel Foster!
  • The atmosphere- it works with the lyrics to really get the message across

And so the 10th Anniversary continues...

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
3 replies since Feb. 14 2001, 02:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net