Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: A silly quiz for the musically knowledgeable< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 19 2012, 10:08

I just had the idea for this quiz a few minutes ago. It's completely inconsequential, but I thought it would be fun. Here's the question:

Approximately one year before the release of Tubular Bells, an American musician released an album that shares a few features in common with Mike Oldfield's masterpiece. The album in question is mostly instrumental, with complex musical structures and textures, large instrumentation and with technically demanding parts. Most notable, though, is that side 2 of the album ends with a slow, tension-building crescendo developed on a single melody, slowly growing in intensity, and culminating with the main melody fully developed into a big climax punctuated by tubular bells. Note a few striking differences: the album doesn't consist of a single composition, features many musicians, and is not a debut album. What is the album?

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
HR lover Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 19 2012, 16:57

Is it 'Septober Energy' by Centipede?

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2012, 17:27

I have no idea, but I would really like to know. But now I know that both Zappa and Santana made really cool albums in 1972! :D But stay away from Manfred Mann's Earth Band.

Edit:
Centipede would almost be cheating! That was Mike's outspoken influence for Tubular Bells!

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2012, 23:47

Quote (HR lover @ Sep. 19 2012, 16:57)
Is it 'Septober Energy' by Centipede?

No, it's not. The album in question was released by an American artist, it has multiple, separate compositions, and was released around April-June 1972. As an added hint, it's a single LP, and a relatively short one.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
oblique Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2012, 02:07

"A rainbow in curved air" by Terry Reilly?

Edit: i ment Terry Riley.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2012, 04:56

John Cale: The Academy in Peril

And I think I can say that without having heard the album! :D

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2012, 09:42

Quote (larstangmark @ Sep. 20 2012, 04:56)
John Cale: The Academy in Peril

And I think I can say that without having heard the album! :D

The date of release matches the question, but not the rest.

Another hint: the album has four tracks, and one of them occupies an entire side of the record.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2012, 00:50

I tried to figure that one out based on the top prog albums of 1972. Too mindboggling for me. And too tired of looking on youtube. Thought it might be YES-Close to the Edge or Genesis- Foxtrot or ELP-Trilogy.
    I've got a question bugging me: I've been starved for new sci fi for a long time and out of sheer boredom, and being too tired after my graveyard shifts to do much more than watch TV, I turned to a series I ignored in it's heyday. The 2004-2009 Battlestar Galactica reboot series. Just finished the season 3 ending. Everybody in the fleet is hearing a song in their heads that drives them nuts. Towards the end they all start speaking phrases from "All Along the Watchtower". As the episode ends a raga/metal version of Watchtower is played. Who is the band? No credit was given.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2012, 07:59

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Sep. 21 2012, 09:42)
[quote=larstangmark,Sep. 20 2012, 04:56]
The date of release matches the question, but not the rest.

It is and album by an american musician, it is mosty instrumental, features several musicians plus a set of tubular bells (actually the same ones that Mike used on Tubular Bells). Not sure if they're at the end though...

Edit: I am an idiot. John Cale is Welsh.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
memberd Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2012, 08:11

The suspense is killing me ... I'd really like to know.

--------------
"...inside, and the positions are reversed..."
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2012, 14:29

As would I.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2012, 16:11

Is it in the rock/prog field at all? Or is it a purely classical composition? The latter would explain why I can't seem to find out what it is.

BTW that John Cale album is a really strange and inconsequental mixture of styles. I can't understund who it's aimed at.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2012, 16:59

Quote (larstangmark @ Sep. 25 2012, 16:11)
Is it in the rock/prog field at all? Or is it a purely classical composition? The latter would explain why I can't seem to find out what it is.

Yes, it's within the rock genre, but with a strong tendency towards avantgarde and jazz fusion.

Avantgarde. Jazz. Sense of humour. American. Very prolific. Bearer of a memorable moustache.

One more hint for those who know how to use Google: the album in question was the first release by the artist in question after he suffered an incident during a concert, which left him wheelchair bound for about an year.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
oblique Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2012, 18:16

Must be Frank Zappa. My guess The Grand Wazoo.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2012, 18:52

My first guess was Frank Zappa's "The Grand Wazoo" or "Waka/Jawaka". But I didn't say anything because I don't recall a melody being played on tubular bells at the end of either album.
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2012, 03:36

Quote (GusFogle @ Sep. 25 2012, 18:52)
My first guess was Frank Zappa's "The Grand Wazoo" or "Waka/Jawaka". But I didn't say anything because I don't recall a melody being played on tubular bells at the end of either album.

I browsed through both of them (great albums BTW) early on in my search, but couldn't identify the slowly buidling part with the tubular bells.
Thanks anyways for making me aware of these albums. For some reason I thought Hot Rats was a one-off and then it was all dynamo-hum for the next ten years....

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2012, 09:24

Indeed, it's Frank Zappa, and the album in question is Waka/Jawaka. Side two of the album ends with the title track:

YouTube link

Pay attention to the part from 9:45 onwards. In my opinion, it's one of the coolest moments in Zappa's catalogue. And I think that when you listen to the ending with Tubular Bells in mind, it becomes a lot of fun -- even though Oldfield was probably unaware of it.

Thanks anyways for making me aware of these albums. For some reason I thought Hot Rats was a one-off and then it was all dynamo-hum for the next ten years....

Zappa's albums became massive mixed bags after The Grand Wazoo, which must be infuriating to those who dislike his vocal ramblings; but I believe that was intentional. But you might want to check out Roxy & Elsewhere, which does have its share of crude jokes, but is a lot more focused on composition and band work.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2012, 21:45

One Size Fits All
Bongo Fury
Zoot Allures
Lather
You Can't Do This On Stage Anymore (Volumes 1-6)

All these albums are good post-1970 Zappa albums in my opinion.

Joe's Garage, You are what you is, and Ship arriving too late to save a drowning witch...all have their moments if you can tolerate Zappa's sometimes lavatorial sense of humor.
Profile PM WEB 
oblique Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2012, 22:22

As it turns out i'm not musically knowledgable enough.
Got some Zappa albums myself though, but this quiz wasn't about guessing.

--------------
Profile PM 
memberd Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2012, 03:23

Never heard a Frank Zappa album in my life...
:/

--------------
"...inside, and the positions are reversed..."
Profile PM 
21 replies since Sep. 19 2012, 10:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net