Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: A sad song for Rosie, Children of the sun< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Chicular Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 03 2008, 18:17

Just downloaded A sad song for Rosie from itunes and am amazed at how this sounds very much like the pipe part from part 2.  Mike was only 14 when he wrote this.  Brilliant.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: June 03 2008, 19:17

Chicular, have you been able to download "Branches" or "Mrs. Moon And The Thatched Shop" as well?
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: June 04 2008, 03:07

I've downloaded Branches and sat in amazement that Amarok was born when Mike was only 14!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 04 2008, 06:36

I got these on cd in 2002 on the Children Of The Sun double cd re-issue.He was actually 15,not 14,but a clever little sod nontheless!(to the point that i've 'borrowed' a bit of Mrs Moon And The Thatched Shop for a part in my bands set-the down tuned heavy bit before he sings 3 Blind Mice).It's all good stuff
  :)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: June 04 2008, 10:17

Yeah, Chicular.  That's what I was getting at with my question.  I knew the "Amarok" references would bring a grin to you.

I am unsure, however, of the vintage of those tracks.  "Children Of The Sun" was released in 1968.  This we all know.  But apparently some info is out there saying the acoustic pieces were done in 1970.  When "Children Of The Sun" was reissued, these tracks were inearthed and included on the bonus disc.  Korgscrew would know more.

PS.  You're lucky.  iTunes Canada doesn't even HAVE the Sallyangie album, much less the 2-disc version.

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 04 2008, 10:30

This was discusse a while back and the conclision was a typo on the packaging.Mine says 1970 too. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: June 04 2008, 11:34

Slightly off-topic.  Was there a b-side to "Two Ships"?

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 04 2008, 12:23

As far as i'm aware it was a single so logically there must be.But what it is i don't know.Did Mike even play/sing on Two Ships.It's often described as a follow up and attributed to (The)Sallyangie  but listening to it i can't seem to hear Mike at all.Maybe i need to listen harder but all i hear is an overdone Shel Talmy production with Sally singing.
Gooing more off topic i would dearly love to see a picture of them playing at the folk festival (i forget where but the Royal Festival Hall springs to mind for some reason)where they were forced to wear green velvet hippyish clothes.Mike hated it by all accounts.He looks uncomfortable enough in just about all the pictures i've seen for Sallyangie (doesn't smile a lot does he?)so i'd imagine he'd be mortified! :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: June 04 2008, 12:37

I don't hear him on "Two Ships", either.  Guess he already wandered away by that point.  Maybe the single was one of those deals where the b-side was just a mono version.  Or vice versa with stereo.  But I've never ever even HEARD "Child Of Allah".  I've got "Lady Go Lightly" on a horrible-sounding mp3, though.  I still have so much hunting down to do-it never stops (sigh).

He NEVER looked happy in his early pictures.  Typical moody teenager, maybe.  I'd love to see the velvet outfits, too.  Very Partridge Family type stuff, I'll bet.

:laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 04 2008, 12:46

Just listened to it on my i-pod and he ain't there at all!I think "Child of Allah" is actually "Children of the Sun" ("allah,allah,allah sending children of the sun")but i'd have to hear it.Never heard of "Lady Go Lightly"though.
 It's strange, but even though it's a  really naive album, i really love "Children Of The Sun".It's a really nice album.Once heard it described as 'bonkers acid folk'.Wierd but true.

--------------
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: June 04 2008, 13:23

Quote (Chicular @ June 03 2008, 18:17)
Just downloaded A sad song for Rosie from itunes and am amazed at how this sounds very much like the pipe part from part 2.  Mike was only 14 when he wrote this.  Brilliant.

'Children of the sun', and 'a sad song for Rosie' Does that have something to do with Sally Oldfield too?
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 04 2008, 13:38

Children Of The Sun is the title track on the album by Sallyangie on which Sally sings.A Sad Song For Rosie is actually a peice by Mike on solo acoustic guitar that didn't apear on the original LP but was relaesed on susequent re-issues.

--------------
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: June 04 2008, 14:38

Quote (The Caveman @ June 04 2008, 13:38)
Children Of The Sun is the title track on the album by Sallyangie on which Sally sings.A Sad Song For Rosie is actually a peice by Mike on solo acoustic guitar that didn't apear on the original LP but was relaesed on susequent re-issues.

Yes i know. But doesn't the name of 'Rosie' have a connection with Sally. She had a boyfreind with the nickname of Rosie?  Children Of The Sun- 'Rosie.' And wasn't Children of the sun more Sally orientated.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 04 2008, 14:45

Actaully you have a bloody good point!Never thought of it being connected to that Rosie!I always wondered who Rosie was.The album was mainly Sally but Mike did write a few songs like Balloons and The Murder Of The Children Of San  Francisco.
 That's genius about Rosie though.And more than likely true too.Nice one!!! :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: June 04 2008, 14:57

Quote (The Caveman @ June 04 2008, 14:45)
Actaully you have a bloody good point!Never thought of it being connected to that Rosie!I always wondered who Rosie was.The album was mainly Sally but Mike did write a few songs like Balloons and The Murder Of The Children Of San  Francisco.
 That's genius about Rosie though.And more than likely true too.Nice one!!! :)

It might be might not be, but if it is true, it wouldn't be the first time.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: June 04 2008, 17:59

Wouldn't it be nice to have all MO's pre-1973 solo guitar pieces added as bonus tracks to whatever next edition of TB comes out?  If "Branches", etc. were excavated then chances are there are more recordings buried somewhere.  They wouldn't be any more out of place on TB than where they DID end up.

Those 3 pieces are really cool.
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: June 05 2008, 02:01

Quote (Bassman @ June 04 2008, 17:34)
Slightly off-topic.  Was there a b-side to "Two Ships"?

7" Two Ships/Colours Of The World

UK: Transatlantic BIG 126 (red label) no picture cover)    

]

7" Lady Go Lightly/Sweet Child

US: Demo

7" Child Of Allah/Lady Go Lightly

UK: Philips 6006 259 (white label)

UK: Philips 6006 259 (blue label)

US: Philips 40718 (white label) promo, no picture cover
(A-Side is called "Sweet Child Of Allah")

;)

Edited by manintherain on June 05 2008, 02:03
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: June 05 2008, 10:12

Good digging, mitr!
Profile PM 
17 replies since June 03 2008, 18:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net