Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: A personal reflection< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Brewer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 31 2008, 09:30

I was 10 when TB was released. I remeber my older brother playing it on "an old tin box" all throughout the summer and winter of 73/74. Ive been a big fan ever since. My brother subsequently bought HG and Ommadawn and his interest stopped there.
When i started working around the time of Incantations, I bought all MO's album's, always unheard and always in great expectation.
Always wanting another Ommadawn or HG, but just never quiet getting it. Each MO album had some great and wonderful pieces in it but never really hitting on all cylinders.
In the late 80's Mike released Amorak. Upon hearing it for the first time i remeber thinking to myself this is interesting. Amorak, like it or hate it, you have to really appreaciate it for what it was at that time. It was MO's "Sgt Peppers","Dark Side of the Moon". It was a masterpiece. After that everything was proverbially downhill, with the exception of maybe TB2, which was really a very melodic version of TB. TSODE and TB3 were very good, in parts but never really hitting the multiple orgasm's that Amorak hit.
Every album since (TB2003 I thought was xcelent but again it was TB) has really been a let down, whilst all had some good moments but nothing really to get excited about.
On listening to MOTS for the last 2 weeks, i have now decided that this Album IS the best thing since Amorak, it has loads of multiple orgasm's throughout.
I have read in the Forums that its TB again. I can only say that I can spot a John Williams, Morricone, Howard Shore etc soundtrack a mile away because all composers tend to use the same structures all the time. Yes it is TB, but listen to the end of it, it is also Amorak, it also has pieces of TB2 and Ommadawn in it, and thats becuase it is a MO composition.

At last the King is back. Thanks Mike for everything, life wouldnt be as interesting without your music in it.

--------------
Maker of MOs favourite beverage

No trees were harmed in the creation and sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Profile PM 
Sentinel101 Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2008, 15:11

Don't want to be a nitpicker but it's called Amarok :-)
Profile PM 
Bleat Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2008, 20:55

......I always thought it was called Anorak.. heh

bleat :cool:
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: April 01 2008, 13:14

amarok doesn't really hit deep since it denies the music to really settle and be heartfelt, it moves on so fast that it is more a stunning display of talent, rather than the deep spiritual 'music of the sphere's' music, that we find in TSODE.

but i still love it, it's quirky, fast ,wild, crazy, and funky.
But i wouldn't really rate it anywhere near ommadawn, mots, tsode, tb1 and 2.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 01 2008, 15:29

That's what you get for thinking of music in terms of "parts". :)

Amarok is a monolith, and seeing it like that is the only way to let it grip you completely. I'd be able to see it as a conglomerated of bits if the album didn't constantly refer back (and forth) to itself.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
4 replies since Mar. 31 2008, 09:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net