Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: A peculiar problem with my CD< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Bell(end) Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 15 2006, 13:03

To enable to read in the sunshine whilst listening to music, I placed a speaker on the window ledge, this was only possible with just the one. Thus, I had to change the balance to extreme right so that the volume was high enough to be heard outside.

I am playing Amarok now and all sounds which should be emitted from the left side are missing, the balance has been returned to normal and the same problem exists when the CD is played on my other player :/

I suppose I have two choices, stop caring (though it does affect listening considerably) or buy a new copy...

has anyone else ever had this problem, any way to rectify it?

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2006, 19:05

As far as I know (and I'm sure supposed to know, being a devoted Amarokian... :D) there are no parts of Amarok which are mixed on left-only or right-only, so the problem is either with the balance knob on your amp, or (more unlikely) with the Amarok CD. Try playing something else on it, turn the knob both ways and see what happens... ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2006, 11:05

This is a stupid, obvious answer, and I'm sure you've tested it out already, but....  Broken speakers?

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2006, 11:44

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Oct. 15 2006, 19:03)
To enable to read in the sunshine whilst listening to music, I placed a speaker on the window ledge, this was only possible with just the one.

As far as I understand, only one speaker is visible while You're outside. So how do You want to hear something that is emmited by the other speaker?

Or maybe do You mean that after returning back to Your room, one of Your speakers doesn't work anymore? Did You check with other CDs than Amarok?  Check speaker connections, maybe one of them slipped out while You were moving the speaker. One thing is sure, It is definitely not a problem with Your copy.

cheers
amazarak

--------------
Just hold your heading true
Got to get your finest out
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2006, 12:06

Quote (amazarak @ Oct. 16 2006, 16:44)
It is definitely not a problem with Your copy.

I'm not so sure, all stereo effects are intact with my other albums, I played Amarok on a portable CD listened to through earphones, that was when I first noticed the problem.

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2006, 15:26

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Oct. 17 2006, 18:06)
all stereo effects are intact with my other albums

Hmmm thats indeed strange then.

One more thing that You can check, is whether the speakers in Your stereo are not connected out of phase. In both speakers red and black wires should be connected in the same way. If speakers are out of phase, stereo effect does not work properly. The most noticable effect of this is decreased bass level, but of course there may be other anomalies, depending on the particular equipment.

This may be obvious, but check if the CD is clean and not scrached. I can't still imagine how only one channel could got damaged on a cd, considering how data are stored on it.

best regards
amazarak

--------------
Just hold your heading true
Got to get your finest out
Profile PM 
5 replies since Oct. 15 2006, 13:03 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net