[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: A New Dimension, My new favourite< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 10 2004, 19:39

http://smc.sq7.org/miscfile/brandon/dimension.ogg
or
http://smc.sq7.org/miscfile/brandon/dimension.mp3

I sat down today and played a tune on my guitar. It was good and I thought other instruments might sound good with it so I did some playing around on the keyboard with different sounds. Eventually I abandoned my original idea and went into a new direction. The result is this tune that's a bit TSODE/Tr3s Lunas-ish. I love the climax buildup change at the end. Took most of the day to complete. I think I'm getting better at mixing. Did a couple things to get the bass to sound right. It's more atmospheric in that there's no real 'lead theme' played anywhere. The guitars just improvise all through it.

Any comments or criticism welcome. I'm not sure if I'm going to put it in my instrumental or not. It sounds fine the way it is by itself. And I'm having trouble thinking of a name. Any ideas for that are welcome, too. :)

EDIT: I've decided to call it 'A New Dimension"

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
torbenyj Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 11 2004, 05:46

hi
very, very good

it would call it Ocean
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: April 11 2004, 19:11

Very Nice!

The chord progression that it settles into early on is catchy and doesn't tire with your improvisation. I can imagine this piece being in MusicVR. Less synth than TSODE or TL and that's a good thing!

Did you write this with your old mixing software? The lack of strict MIDI quantising on the keyboard parts has given it a more human feel to it. Something that my stuff lacks.

I agree with you - it sounds like a finished track on its own rather being integrated into a larger work

The GT-6 sounds good as ever, but especially the mixing and whatever effects you used on the mix sound very effective and professional. Looking very much foward to how our cover will turn out

(BTW I just changed my nickname if you're wondering. I hope this is easier to say than 2distortedguitars!;)
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: April 11 2004, 20:36

Whew  - great Brandon!

Loved it. funnily enough my random player put Taurus 2 on next after playing your track, and my feel is you have got closer to the 80's mike than the TL/TSODE thing.

The looseness, emotion of the track maybe.

I'm still waiting to go into my local record shop and see your name here though.

p.s. - for the title - "New Dawn"?

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: April 11 2004, 22:08

Thank you guys very much for the words!

Did you write this with your old mixing software? The lack of strict MIDI quantising on the keyboard parts has given it a more human feel to it. Something that my stuff lacks.

Everything that isn't guitar is all recorded live from my keyboard hooked up to my MT-200 hooked up to my GT-6 (which gives the reverb and everything) into my little Magix Audio Studio program. Right down to the drum sounds.

I beleive strongly in recording live for all instruments in a song (well, I like drum loops too, it's fun to play around with those). I'm not really really against programming and stuff, but I do think there's more freedom (not to mention area for improv) in live recording. And with this track I've proven you can make an electronic-sounding song without the new midi programs used for programming electronic music. You can record live and it will still sound as good....if not better because of the improvisation you can put into it that simply lacks in a programmed song.

The GT-6 sounds good as ever, but especially the mixing and whatever effects you used on the mix sound very effective and professional. Looking very much foward to how our cover will turn out

There's a bit of mid and hi EQ changing on a couple tracks, but other than that it's just volume and panning changes. I used a low sine wav and my ring mod bas simulator on my GT-6 on my guitar simultaniously for the bass.

I was actually surprised it came out as good as it did. Even though I did little of it, I do think it's the best mixing job I've done so far, which is what I've been practicing my skills on lately with my tracks.

And yes, I can't wait to get Taurus 2 sounding completed and good.

Loved it. funnily enough my random player put Taurus 2 on next after playing your track, and my feel is you have got closer to the 80's mike than the TL/TSODE thing.

Well then I've succeeded more than I realize because I love the sound and production of his 90's and on albums, but also the pureness of the earlier albums.

I'm still waiting to go into my local record shop and see your name here though.

p.s. - for the title - "New Dawn"?

We'll have to see about my name in the stores lol. That would be nice....only time will tell.

And I've already came up with the name "A New Dimension". You're close though ;). I was talking to Khoa Tran earlier and he suggested to me "In A Different Light". Also close. Hehe. And to the one that suggested Ocean, I already have a song entitled 'The Ocean' so it wouldn't work out too well ;).

And hey James, your new nick is appropriate since 'Jammer' sounds similar to 'James'. ;)

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
ktran Offline

Posted: April 12 2004, 02:00

Dude,

This is sickeningly good :-)

As I mentioned earlier, I've a bit of an issue with the synth hits at around 1:28, but that's an incredibly minor detail... AND YOU WROTE AND RECORDED THIS IN ONE DAY!!! You're mad!!! :-)

I agree with playing and recording everything live as much as possible. The dynamics and expression of a musician in tune with his instrument and with the piece he's playing, or a musician in tune with improvisation, is something that's very difficult to reproduce in a programmed musical environment.

Again, great work!

rgds,

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
Ecco Offline

Posted: April 12 2004, 23:18

Very nicely done! And very Oldfield-esque. And thanks for the mp3 link, heh. The guitar is nice and smooth through-out and doesn't interfere with anything, it all comes together nicely. The change at the end with the chord progression is definately the highlight of the piece. Only complaint is that the climax seems to build, but doesn't quite 'get there'. Other than that, really nice.  :cool:

Tony and Julie

--------------
http://www.myspace.com/twilighttide
Profile PM WEB 
SHINE Offline

Posted: June 05 2004, 10:18

A WONDERFUL New dimension where I like to dive. Thank you very much for this great gift!!
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: June 05 2004, 18:50

Hello!
TUBULARMAN here!
Very good stuff you got there! I love it!  :D
Sorry this... Before I was MAN IN CRISES... but now am TUBULARMAN! Just to let you know..

That song is very relaxing... Its good for my ears and peace for my heart.. You'r good!!!

Thank you for "the dimension song!"

Maybe i would call it "slow fun"
The song gives me slow fun/ chill..  :cool:

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 06 2004, 09:28

Congrats, Brandon. Excellent as usual. :)

BTW, Andy a.k.a. olracUK is perfectly right about wanting to see your name on the record shops' shelves. And this piece, "Illusions" and all the other great stuff you made up to now really give me the feeling that I should be longing for it too. ;) :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
9 replies since April 10 2004, 19:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net