Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: A Great Album, In so many ways...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
moonchildhippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 30 2008, 18:24

Quote (Bassman @ May 27 2008, 05:53)
Amen Scatter.

I'm envious of Brits that are just within reach of going to see the actual place.  For a countryside to have inspired such music makes it a place I want to see before I die.  Not because I have any illusions that it's been untouched by man since 1974, but because I know it's remained just untouched enough for me to be able to see God in it.

Fortunately I'm lucky enough to  be English born and resident, if I had the money I would say that it's time for another run out to Kington area  :cool: .
I would say that there is something very spiritual about the Herefordshire countryside :D ,  I'm not sure what or who you mean by "God" Bassman, I'm just interested to understand other peoples definitions.  I think world religions and spirituality is a most facinating subject.  I would descrbe my spiritual path as that of a Pagan/Heathen/Hedgewitch, having been brought up in an Aethiest/Humanist/Agnostic background.    

Dirk Star   Posted on May 30 2008, 07:48
Quote (Sir Mustapha @ May 29 2008, 14:19)
I might probably be the sole voice to recommend the '76 remix of Hergest Ridge. I think one should have the original mix if possible, but the later remix is mandatory, for it's easier to find and one has to decide for himself which version is better. Besides, the remix doesn't have the abhorrent, atrociously awful speeding-up organ chord.

Must admit I feel the same way as yourself about recommending the remixed version.And I also agree that organ sound definetly needed to go from the original.If I`d heard that sound coming out of my record player all those years ago.I dare say I`d have been sending it into the repair shop for a new belt or something.

I`ll admit that most of my preferances are probably down to my own familiarity with the remixed version as well.I don`t think there`s really any getting away from that,for me personaly anyway.I have enjoyed listening to the original but more out of curiosity than anything else.I can`t say I`ve really been able to derive the same pleasure or kick from it for instance.Although in all honesty I`ve only been able to listen to it right the way through once.And even then it was bugging the hell out of me most of the time.Like yourself I could hear parts that I liked better on the original as well.But then sometimes what I seemed to be gaining in bass or depth in some sections.I felt I was losing quite a bit in melody and just the overall feel of it in others.Maybe I was just being distracted too much though by some of the new sounds and levels in there?I don`t know it`s really hard to be compleletly objective about it.I think the knowledge of what`s done is done and I can`t do much about it now.Has kind of put me off listening to the original version more.

I do agree that I have an overall preference for the "Boxed" version, I'll have to give the original a spin there are some parts I like fractionally better on there, but I do feel that maybe the horns make the original a but cluttered, to me they're a bit superflous,  That gives me an idea maybe I could do another comparison, as I play the original very occaisionally, and gives me a perfect excuse to play HR again      :cool:

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: June 02 2008, 18:24

MCH, I share your fascination with world religions.  I was raised Roman Catholic, but would never include myself with those that adhere to every tenet of the dogma.  It's far too limiting and spiritually restrictive for what I need to practice what I call faith.

I like the words you used to describe your spirituality, and I share much of your opinion.  When I was a young 20-something smartass I thought of myself as an atheist-very typical stuff.  Then with a few more years of actual living under my belt, I considered myself an agnostic... less "risky".  Still more years later and, hopefully, more wisdom gained I can embrace so much more than just a narrow view here, or a narrow view there.  What is required is humility, which life doles out in great amounts the longer you're around.  So when I say "God", I refer to how I can see His presence in everything around me in this physical world (beautiful or ugly), and in everything that I cannot see or touch.  The beauty in a piece of land like Hergest Ridge must be amazingly palpable if it inspired such beauty in a piece of music.  I'm sure most folks here can relate.

But... this has been a dreadful threadjacking on my part.  And lest I get rightfully booted off the board for it, I wish to get back on-topic by saying that without the original HR mix, no remix would be possible.  My opinion, then, is that the remix could never be more important than the original.  Only (for some) more enjoyable to listen to.  I prefer the remix, myself, for the same reasons that MO himself has given.  When I first heard it ages ago I was mostly pleased with the changes he made.  His mistake was taking away our choice of which to buy.  We have umpteen versions of TB and only one HR?  I just don't understand how he could NOT know his fans would buy both!  Worst marketing idea ever.

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
Major Gowen Offline

Posted: June 29 2008, 22:16

Hello all, new member here.

So, Hergest Ridge. Not only my favourite Mike Oldfield album, but probably my favourite album by anyone, ever. I can’t really articulate in words how important Hergest Ridge is to me, suffice to say I listen to it at least once a week and never tire of it. I would say it’s matured like a fine wine, though if a bottle of wine ever tasted as good as Hergest Ridge sounds, I’d like to have a drop! I grew up with the original version but have been without a turntable for a few years, so have become accustomed to the CD version in recent times. Just an incredibly beautiful piece of music, shot through with a serenity that borders on sadness and longing.
Profile PM 
ommadawn69 Offline

Posted: June 29 2008, 23:41

Quote (Major Gowen @ June 29 2008, 22:16)
Hello all, new member here.

So, Hergest Ridge. Not only my favourite Mike Oldfield album, but probably my favourite album by anyone, ever. I can’t really articulate in words how important Hergest Ridge is to me, suffice to say I listen to it at least once a week and never tire of it. I would say it’s matured like a fine wine, though if a bottle of wine ever tasted as good as Hergest Ridge sounds, I’d like to have a drop! I grew up with the original version but have been without a turntable for a few years, so have become accustomed to the CD version in recent times. Just an incredibly beautiful piece of music, shot through with a serenity that borders on sadness and longing.

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for your thoughts on this wonderful album, well said.  :)

Craig

--------------
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheAlternativeMikeOldfieldGroup/
Profile PM 
Major Gowen Offline

Posted: July 01 2008, 23:27

Quote (ommadawn69 @ June 29 2008, 23:41)

Craig

Thanks, ommadawn69. Always nice to chat about the work of genius that is Hergest Ridge!
Profile PM 
ommadawn69 Offline

Posted: July 03 2008, 21:27

Quote (Major Gowen @ July 01 2008, 23:27)

Craig

Thanks, ommadawn69. Always nice to chat about the work of genius that is Hergest Ridge!

I agree. I always have a calm feel when I listen to Hergest Ridge. Even though I have never been there, it is one place I will love to visit before I die. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: July 04 2008, 18:06

Quote (ommadawn69 @ July 04 2008, 01:27)

Craig

I agree. I always have a calm feel when I listen to Hergest Ridge. Even though I have never been there, it is one place I will love to visit before I die. :)

Hi Major Gowen, yes If you haven't been to Hergest Ridge, you've gotta see. put it on your to do list, I went there in @05 and it was a beginning of a life changing experience for the positive :cool:  :)  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
ommadawn69 Offline

Posted: July 05 2008, 18:40

Quote (moonchildhippy @ July 04 2008, 18:06)
Quote (ommadawn69 @ July 04 2008, 01:27)

Craig

Hi Major Gowen, yes If you haven't been to Hergest Ridge, you've gotta see. put it on your to do list, I went there in @05 and it was a beginning of a life changing experience for the positive :cool:  :)  :D .

Thanks, hopefully I will make it there. I will really look forward to it. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
27 replies since May 23 2008, 10:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net