Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: A Future Project< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TimHighfield Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 17 2000, 03:35

As most people who live five miles out from a newsagent, computer with the Internet, radio or television will be aware of, recently in Sydney a little thing called the Olympics was held (also the Paralympics, but I need to talk about the former here).

One of the most creative areas of the Games are the opening and closing ceremonies, and I am particularly referring to the Opening Ceremony. Supposing London, Manchester or somewhere else in England/Britain gets to host the Olympics in the next few 4-year periods, I have a great idea for Mike to undertake:

Each competing nation's athletes march out in the Opening Ceremony and walk around the stadium. While this is happening, an MC announces the nation. My idea is this. As every Mike Oldfield fan knows, one of the most famous sections of TB is the bit with Viv Stanshall annoucing various instruments in a layered section of music. So why shouldn't Mike do this at the Olympics. He can write a piece of music, and then, when each nation is announced, play the melody with a well-known instrument from that nation- eg. Australia, maybe didgeridoo (sorry to all you Aussies out there, perhaps a Wobble Board instead?). Then, when Great Britain march out at the end of the procession, Mike can get out the old TUBULAR BELLS, and play them while the Brits are marching round. This idea is copyright me, Tim Highfield, 2000, any queries to me, you heard it first on Tubular Forum, WHAT DO YOU LOT OUT THERE THINK?

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 

Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 17 2000, 19:55

Must admit that'd be kinda cool smile
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2000, 02:46

COME ON!!!!

This is an idea that would put Mike Oldfield on the televisions/computers/radios of almost everyone in the world (or at least western world). Why is it that only one person has decided to reply to this? This is an opportunity for bringing Mike Oldfield back into the world spotlight, as most people who bought Tubular Bells gave up after that, seventeen years ago.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2000, 04:25

If we all agree, maybe that's why we don't reply wink or we don't want to talk about a copyrighted idea ? wink
Seriously, IMHO, it is for sure a great idea... But i would remind you that this kind of ceremony is very long, so music CAN'T be like The Bell theme, too repetitive during 30 min... So Mike should write a real symphony, with instruments AND theme for EACH country. And then each theme would be too short... brrr, what a dilemma... ;-)
Cheers, gmovj

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2000, 06:04

Sorry, GMOVJ

I sort of lost the plot a bit.

I only "copyrighted" the idea so that no one else claims it, because I came up with it.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2000, 06:15

Sorry, Tim, I think the idea sucks. That's why I didn't answer, because I didn't want to tell you this. But you asked for it.
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2000, 08:30

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone is honest!!!

Thanks Archangel Foster!
Profile PM WEB 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2000, 09:40

Well, the thing is if he does another Bell related thing he will get more criticism from those in the music media who think all he does is recycle.

Plus hyping an album up with an excellent concert didn't result in "The Millennium Bell" being a huge smash hit either.

I think if Mikey Boy is to become a huge best seller again hes going to have to venture out into newer, more radical territory. Do something that he has never done before. But in music. I don't think Sonic Reality will suddenly transform him into a superstar although I do think it will be good.
Profile PM 
Pacha Daddy Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2000, 15:46

Tim, I can picture the limited percentage of we Oldfield fans watching the processional and thinking "How cool!" while the rest of the world scratches it head and asks, "Why do they keep doing that?" wink
Profile PM WEB 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2000, 05:17

Hum, I keep on thinking this could be a great idea... (IMHO). But I must have expressed my idea badly. Or I may have misunderstood Tim's idea.

Everything is only my opinion, open to discussion :

I didn't say it was to improve MO fame... If he do this kind of stuff, it must be like Phillipe Découlfé (Albertville OG) or for don't-remember-the-name (Bicentenary of French Revolution in '89) : the designer of the event was out of stage.

It is a complete event, it's not only a concert or a live performance : music is not the main purpose, this is a whole project, with dancers, musicians, fireworks, music, etc.. and Mike, the composer (or why not the designer of the whole project !?), must be out of any stage. No-one is not supposed to be the star in this kind of event : event is the star.

And I think it would be cool that a huge and beautiful ceremony would be 'put in music' by Mike Oldfield, even totally designed by him... (not supposed to call this 'The Tubular Olympics Bells Game of the Millenium Bells' though, but why not using those "thin metallic hanging tubes" ? It's amazing to see someone playing this)

And about an album and sales : it can (not sayed it will ! wink) work fine : i was in Edinburg last summer during the Military Tatoo, and CDs of this event seem to be selled very well... And if it can work with this kind of event (semi-global, no offense intends here to Scotland ! wink), why not with Olympics, a global event ?
If this CD, DVD, VHS etc... was called "Olympics Opening Ceremony" and only with subtitle "Music by Mike Oldfield", IMHO, it can work, no ?

Cheers, and respect to all, GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
gorjanbak Offline

Posted: Dec. 20 2000, 12:46

What do you say about TSODE 2 ? biggrin
Profile PM 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Dec. 24 2000, 20:52

I found this posted by someone in a Rush forum:

- "I'm totally against the idea of promoting the concept of "political correctness" in the sense of not offending others with your opinion. But come on, to say that this song or that song "SUCKS" seems a bit misguided. If you want to say that you dont care for this or that, thats fine. Hell, you can even say that you hate something if you like! But if everyone in this cool family wants to stay away from accidentally turning into flame-writers, you'll realize that saying something sucks is essentially implying that it has no intrinsic value, and that anyone that likes and appreciates it must not have any sense of what is /isnt of quality. Maturity and wisdom will dictate that we acknowledge that everyone's tastes will differ; and rightfully so, they have to."

I am not a native speaker of the English language and thus maybe failed to realize the insulting flavour of this word. Actually I only know it from Beavis & Butt-Head, and when speaking English, I always use it in a humourous way.
Although you, Tim, don't seem too upset about me using this word smile, I want to apologize if anyone else felt I went too far here. I honestly didn't mean to.
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Dec. 25 2000, 23:27

Don't worry, Archangel Foster, everything's alright.

Unfortunately, you have prevented me from carrying out my original plan. After starting this forum and replying to your original message, ie that the idea sucks, I thought that perhaps I had gone a little over the top, and decided to take a break from posting here for a few months. I decided on this because, as I am only 15, this is the first time I have written to an online forum, and so did not really know what behaviour was acceptable here.

And so, I apologise wholeheartedly to everyone at Tubular Forums for my behaviour since October 2000. I might continue with my break now, or write some more posts instead.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Dec. 25 2000, 23:44

Dear Tim,

please write some more posts.

AF
Profile PM WEB 
Pacha Daddy Offline

Posted: Dec. 26 2000, 10:56

Tim, my little bro...stick around! Remember that everything on here is just opinion, and everyone's entitled to theirs. No reason to disappear just because someone disagrees with you! And don't bother citing age as a reason. So what if you're 15? You've got ideas and opinions, and that's what the forum is for. You can elect not to put them out there for fear of having them bashed, but what good is an idea or opinion withheld?

Remember: no one here really KNOWS you, so why put that much stock in what they think of your ideas? Believe in what you believe in, little bro. That's all that matters.
PD
Profile PM WEB 
14 replies since Nov. 17 2000, 03:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net