Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: A doodle of mine< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 06 2006, 06:23

I'm not often lost for words, but I am at the moment, looking at these (just as well since I'm in a hurry! )

They're simply marvellous. Thanks ever so much for posting them. I'll look again longer and closer later.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2006, 05:10

OK, some thoughts after several longer looks.

I've never seen anything quite like them before. I mean - obviously lots of surrealist references come to mind because they seem to be originating in the subconscious (and transmitted with great clarity), but these are unique. Those characteristic close-textured-parallel swirling lines seem to sweep around the picture and somehow expose or enfold things along the way - a tendril here, a waterfall there, or a planet, or an eye. And there's this feeling that if I blink or look away, things won't be quite the same when I look back....

The feeling of interwoven, dissolving, or evolving hands in the top half of that second picture is extraordinary - they are so obviously Mike's hands - you've even caught the recognisable texture of his thumb, in among all this movement and change. So the green heart shape (brilliant use of colour, there - it's a heart, and we 'expect' it to be red or at least warm, but it's the complementary of red, which sets up a strange kind of unease because of its cool clear opposition to our expectation) - anyway, the heart form seems to be held close, clutched, kept safe .... Whose heart is that, I wonder? (If it is a heart.)

The waterfall at bottom right reminds me of Tr3sLunas, but I don't think you've played the game, have you Tracey? So it must be coming from somewhere else - if it is a waterfall, for you, of course.

Entirely fascinating, very beautiful, slightly scary, and disturbing because of the way it stirs my own barely recognised neuroses. That's characteristic of the very best surrealist art. Thank you again.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Dec. 12 2006, 05:35

Curious. What a few days ago looked like a waterfall, today makes me think of long, slightly undulating hair. This is a curious thing about surrealist imagery: because it seems to penetrate to the subconscious in a way unique to itself, it seems to follow our neuroses as they interweave and shift. A friend of mine who paints surrealist pictures actually speaks in those terms - he says that his neuroses make the picture, but from then on it's the viewer's neuroses that take over.

(I suppose I should explain that when he uses the word 'neurosis', he's not speaking disparagingly - he's just using it as a kind of shorthand way of referring to those subconscious processes that govern the way we make art, and the way we respond to it.)
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2006, 13:36

I don't have Alan's facility with words, so I just can say this: fantastic!

Well, and that I like a lot the effect of the green heart-shaped figure in the last picture. :)
Profile PM 
23 replies since Nov. 02 2006, 17:56 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net