Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: A couple tunes, My own.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 09 2003, 00:19

Just whipped these up today...or yesterday...can't remember which...with my new GT-6! Amazing thing.

http://smc.sq7.org/brandon/we_are_alive.ogg
http://smc.sq7.org/brandon/whoa.ogg

'We Are Alive' is a song me and a friend wrote. We are now thinking of making it a 10+ minute song/instrumental. I've had further inspiration using effects on the GT-6 and recorded a small 4-track song with various effected guitars.

'Whoa' is (aside from being a very unimaginitive name) is a tune I came up with while fooling around with this particular sound. Only one guitar this time.

Don't criticize these tunes too much as it is VERY beta. No where near finishing stages. It's not even in stereo. Just want to know if anyone likes the general ideas. I'm gonna use em anyway :D but I'd still like some opinions music-wise. No comments about quality, please as I am quite aware it stinks ;).

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Posted: June 09 2003, 04:45

New toys again, huh? :) Let's listen...

'We are alive': I think I can imagine what you're trying to do. I think I can capture the 'we are alive' mood. Nice ideas in it, although I shouldn't let the elec guitar push itself to the front like that. I would prefer I slightly more gentle approach.

'Whoa': listening to it makes me wonder what Booster would do with that instrument  :D
I like the way it ends. I like the way you solve things at about 4:30.  If it weren't for that I would have considered it bad. That C#-D-B theme just keeps coming and coming... I don't know how much I'm influenced by the quality, though. Maybe if you cleaned it up, it would sound rather relaxing? Don't know, but from a compositional point of view I think it's a bit on the poor side.

I'm not impressed by your toy, but I'm curious what you're going to do with it in the future. :cool:

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 09 2003, 04:46

You surprised me. Turns out you have another secret passion, right?

I was wandering when Bono would start singing.  :D

This sure sounds like U2 being produced by Brian Eno, well certainly "We are alive" does.

Like your ideas and the sound. Let's see what you can make of it.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 

Posted: June 09 2003, 09:00

I don't know how much I'm influenced by the quality, though. Maybe if you cleaned it up, it would sound rather relaxing? Don't know, but from a compositional point of view I think it's a bit on the poor side.

Perhaps you should reread what I said about commenting on the quality? ;) The quality truly sucks and doesn't do the pedal justice being only in mono and recorded through my mic input (only one that works on my sound card). And yes, when I make up a new tune idea I tend to just keep playing it over and over because I can't think of anything else for a while lol.

There's another song idea I wrote that is very U2-ish. I'll post a couple ideas I had for that one, too.

http://smc.sq7.org/brandon/nice_1.ogg
http://smc.sq7.org/brandon/nice2.ogg

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: June 09 2003, 11:56

I took my old keyboard and I began to play along with your little ideas. I think that's a good way to be able to comment ideas.

If it weren't for your slightly unnatural rhytmic clusters (6 segments) and the sound of your strange guitar, I would see a potential melancholic theme in it. I imagined a mainstream pop song with your theme played on a piano in a 8 segments form. Maybe that kind of style is what you refer to as 'U2'? I don't know U2 (they make music, right?  :D ), so don't shoot me if I'm wrong. Anyway, those things I mentioned above definitly takes it elsewhere... interesting, very interesting, as I cannot really come up with any ideas at the moment.

Hmm... thinking....

Very heavy drums, and a violin and a cello! That's what I would add! :D  
Feel free to ignore me. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: June 09 2003, 12:16

I've already got a ton of ideas for a full 'pop' song (if that's what you wanna call it). Got the drums, guitars, keyboards, everything in my head. I just can't record it. It's maddening, I tell you.

Yes U2 makes music :). Their a band that's been around since the 70s but are very popular now. And very experimental. Not just making music to please people. My style :).

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 10 2003, 10:28

These reminded me of some of Steve Hillage's ambient textures - for the full effect, it needs spaced-out new age lyrics sung over the top, then drums come in half way and the whole thing gets hijacked by a crazy bass riff  :D

Why do I suspect that's not quite what you had in mind? ;)
Profile PM 

Posted: June 10 2003, 21:21

:)

These versions (nice_1.ogg and nice2.ogg) I did with only guitars so I guess I kind of gave it that feel but the final version I have in mind is with loud powerful drums and roaring distorted power chord guitars. I just have no drums :D. Kind of like this song does. Beat and all: http://smc.sq7.org/brandon/not_to_us.ogg This is my other favourite style besides MO instrumentals and beautiful music ;). Try to picture nice_1 and nice2 with that kind of feel to it and you'll get a *picture* of what I'm thinking of hehe.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: June 11 2003, 04:47

At least we agree about the drums. Hehe...

--------------
Profile PM 
8 replies since June 09 2003, 00:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net