Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Why so negative ?, Why so many negative comments here?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
oney Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 29 2005, 07:42

been reading and wrting here for a while now although under different log in name. but there seems to be a lot of negative people and coments not only on this site but on others too, why is this so ? Mike is not a God he is only human like the rest of us . Just been reading some of the old post from 2004 and was amazed at the personal insults towards Mike no wonder he does not post i would be most insulted and not willing to talk to people let alone "fan's" if they treated me in such a way. where do they get there information from about mike's private life , please don't say the papers ! because we all know how reliable the media is.

Mike says " it's only music" i know we all attach feelings from times and what is going on in our life's to music but, it is only music no need to insult bully and trying  to destroy the MAN that brings us this joy into our lifes.
Can't we please try to remain "chilled out " and keep to his music never let our love for music take on an ugly head and start insulting remarks that have no way of being properly defended ?
i know some of us get told off for being bum licking but i do not see the need or the point in being so nasty it gets nobody any where and builts up recentment in those who love mikes music
Profile PM 
Ian Too Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2005, 09:25

I think this negativity is the result of simple frustration, some justified and some not, but natural. It is only natural that having found a source of truely unique music, people would want more and want to like the source of it.

Despite what Mike says, music is important and personal to people. It should be thought of as a form of communion - a meeting of souls - for otherwise, why would people choose to listen say, to The Blues? It doesn't make sense, if music were mere entertainment, that expressions of 'negative' emotions should be as popular as love songs, but they are. As well as pop, there is rock. As well as Britney, there is Kate Bush and used to be Mike Oldfield, the man who once said that the mark of a good musician was to be able to play one note and really mean it.

More than any other popular artist, Mike Oldfield owes everything he has to people who are serious about music; people who value originality and passion in their art. People who don't want to be pandered to, but to have genuine emotion in the art they buy. Aren't such people just the sort to feel the necessity to stick to thier guns when there is an issue? Aren't such people the sort to hang aroud Tubular Net to swap notes and await news? By criticising such people, Mike has been foolish enough to bite the hand that feeds him and is lucky that he has food in store.

He needs to remember that a recording artist's relationship with fans is a symbiosis: they give emotional release and receives ample monetary reward and something we all secretly want: adulation. We all secretly want to be stars, to be appreciated and respected and loved.

And this brings us to Mike Oldfiled the man. Does he deserve the respect some people think he should have? A parallel cold be drawn with the late George Best, for both have been known to overindulge in drink and drugs.

Some argue that Best should be remembered for his football prowess and little regard paid to his life off pitch. After all he gave pleasure to milions all over the world, so these things should not be linked. Well my first musical idol was Gary Glitter, who must have given pleasure to quite a few people, because after all, he had more than one number one. Is anyone seriously going to say we should remember Gary Glitter as an entertainer and forget that he's a child molester and pervert? No, these things are linked whether we like it or not.

Thankfully, Mike Oldfield is not Gary Glitter and like George Best, has been the main victim of his over indulgence. In these circumstances, I think we can put these things into perspective and distance the incidents fromthe music. Composers are known to be temperamental and all that, aren't they?

But ask yourself this: would you want Mike Oldfield as your father? What would you think of your dad if he parked the family Ford over the edge of Beachy Head? Imagine opening the paper one day and finding your dad opening his heart to total strangers and saying how troubled he is; especially after the incident where he had got drunk and mum had had to lock herself in the bedroom because she was scared?

Face it, Mike is not a person who should be respected. He is only a self indulgent fool - and there are plenty of them about - but he has the resources to make his foolishness truely remarkable. Park your Ford over a cliff and it's only the police who will be interested, but do the same with a Mercedes and you've made the papers.

"But you're forgetting the music!" I hear you cry, but I'm not. We are people who want our music to come from the heart, to mean something, even if we can't put it into words. In this case it is the whole person that matters and I'm not talking about expecting saintlyness either, Keith Richards is a rock star too.

Mike's trouble is that he seems to have become mean. Once upon a time, Mike would have spent thousands on a guitar, mixing desk or computer, because it would allow him to do new things, but now the money will be spent making it easier to do what people seem to expect of him. What he's missed is that we expect a lot more than Britney fans: we expect Mike to be committed, passionate and original. We don't want the dream, we want the reality.

--------------
(-: Ian :-)

Currently reading:
What Remains to be Discovered by John Maddox
Also doing far too much decorating than is good for one :)
Profile PM WEB 
oney Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2005, 10:14

when i have the time i shall give you a fuller answer but , in the mean time .....
1. it's all about the music
2. he may not be perfect but, he does try to become a better person.
3. please no more personal issues or rumours about him let him live and grow and mostly write music.
4.we all get through life with great difficulty when your life is always been put in a spotlight it does not get any easier when so called fans constantly snipe and undermine your work, using new tools does not always make things easier and he said his mixing deck was out of date and other equipment too , You think he just lied ? no ! things quickly go out of date new tools come along giving you new sounds and ways of creating sounds there for new themes to develope, never under estimate the developing music and it's structures.
5. mikes music is our dreams and it exists there for it is reality it may not be your reality but, it is Mikes he lives it and breaths it .
Profile PM 
oney Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2005, 10:17

i see tubularkat1982 now talking about mike having a bipolar disorder when will his rubbish stop and people leave Mike alone first a stroke now this? i fell like having a drink now i don't know about anyone else lol now wheres my superking ciggies ? lol
live in peace and be nice
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2005, 10:20

Yeah, LET US BE POSITIVE! :)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2005, 11:47

Quote (Ian Too @ Nov. 29 2005, 14:25)
Face it, Mike is not a person who should be respected. He is only a self indulgent fool - and there are plenty of them about.

Isn't it pleasant, how easy it is to see the faults of others?
Isn't it comforting, to be able to pass judgement on the faults of others, at no cost to ourselves?
Isn't it fortunate that we, who are incapable of making music that has enriched, moved, and inspired millions of people, nevertheless can stand on the sidelines and make self-righteous, carping and insulting criticisms of someone who can?

How happy for us all indeed, to be able to spit and not be spat upon. Thank you for clarifying this.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2005, 12:22

Seriously, the only posts on this board that I've found offensive are the ones the ones suggesting bans on "negativity". I think that attitude is very anti-intellectual.
I say let's talk about Mike Oldfield. Let's not talk about what aspect of Mike Oldfield that we shouldn't be talking about.

New topic suggestions; "TSODE is horseshit!" or the "Most embarrasing MO story ever" poll? ;-)

Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2005, 12:39

Face it, Mike is not a person who should be respected. He is only a self indulgent fool - and there are plenty of them about - but he has the resources to make his foolishness truely remarkable.

I think you should apologise immediately. Perhaps you didn't read the title of the Discussion Topic.

Nay, it is not us who need to face things, it is people like YOU who need to stop generalising through your own opinion. That's what counts for all the negative comments on here. We can all have opinions, which can be percieved as good or bad depending who you are that's reading said opinion... but this...

This makes me wonder why you are here. If you don't even like Mike Oldfield, why are you still posting on this site? Go away, and take your anger and negativity with you.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2005, 12:43

Quote (larstangmark @ Nov. 29 2005, 17:22)
the "Most embarrasing MO story ever" poll?

The scandal  :O  :O

Try and recruit an ex-tabloid dude/dudette to help us haha  :laugh:

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
DarkFeline Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2005, 14:37

I prefer to think that Mike could face the same problems as normal people would face sometimes. He's still human after all. :)

No more negativity please, a joy shared with two people is equilavent to having a joy doubled, whatever comes out of a shitty day is ought to be flushed down the toilet and sterilised.

--------------
Who's your mummy, where she go?
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2005, 15:31

Quote (Ian Too @ Nov. 29 2005, 15:25)
But ask yourself this: would you want Mike Oldfield as your father?

I can imagine worse.
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2005, 16:06

Is anyone seriously going to say we should remember Gary Glitter as an entertainer and forget that he's a child molester and pervert? No, these things are linked whether we like it or not.

If Mike was found guilty of, and admitted to murdering. I would still listen to Crises, Amarok, the rest.

The negativity has risen because of other's over-indulgence, I mean some on this forum. The scrutiny is often too much to bear.

When asked about a track/band by me, my dad always says, 'I don't know, I just like the music!'

I'm thinking maybe that's a good idea.
ciao

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2005, 16:08

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Nov. 29 2005, 16:06)
If Mike was found guilty of, and admitted to murdering. I would still listen to Crises, Amarok, the rest.

I probably would not.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2005, 18:11

Face it, Mike is not a person who should be respected. He is only a self indulgent fool - and there are plenty of them about - but he has the resources to make his foolishness truely remarkable.

In this case it is the whole person that matters and I'm not talking about expecting saintlyness either, Keith Richards is a rock star too.

What is this?? Have a dig at Mike Oldfield day today??? Isn't this taking a "Holier than Thou" attitude. Perhaps we see others faults of others as they're the faults we most dislike about ourselves.  Mike is only human after all, we all make mistakes at times, we wouldn't be human if we didn't.  

Haven't we all behaved like self indulgent fools at one time or another?  
Why not go on a Rolling Stones forum and slate Keith Richards too.  With so called "fans" like this who needs enemies???

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
The Man who is He.. Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2005, 18:13

Quote (Ian Too @ Nov. 29 2005, 09:25)
But ask yourself this: would you want Mike Oldfield as your father?

That's a step too far, you have no right to question Mikes ability as a parent. Also, you are in no place to judge him in such a way. I have some negative views about Mike, but I choose to keep them to myself, I think you should, also.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2005, 19:46

Yeh have to agree Ian, you crossed the line with your own personal feelings about Mike and as he has not invited you into his life it should never be allowed to get that personal.

I certainly agree with some of what you said, Mike should never have said "It's only music", he knows the difference between junk food and pheasant under glass and he knows that his fans expect a certain quality from him, and he set that standard himself so if he chooses to become a little lazy or less interested in the music, that is his business but he has to expect it to cost him some fans. I think it is okay to discuss that aspect on the forum, that is why we are here, to compare the newest album to that of the past. But there is definitely a line that should not be crossed.

What Mike does in his private life is of no concern to me apart from a natural curiousity and interest. He is obviously a person with flaws and has been troubled, if not, we might never have heard any music from him at all, let alone the emotive brilliance that he has given us. My God, if his happiness has led to his less intense interest in his 'job' and a more intense interest in his own personal life and family, that is a decision we must all bear with respect and dignity.

If Mike was a murderer, he wouldn't be making any more albums anyway, but it wouldn't stop me from listening to the music that I have in my home and love. Quite a silly analogy. And while I WAS sickened to read that Freddie Mercury was deliberately infecting young men with AIDS while people were still buying his albums, I was never a fan and could easilly discriminate.

If I was Mike and read these forums, including my own words, I would be tempted to quit the music industry entirely and I certainly wouldn't feel I owed the 'fans' anything. If we have negative thoughts and feelings about the music, that is our right, but we shouldn't get so personal, and many of us are certainly guilty of this. So, I for one, will try much harder to keep it positive.

Love you Mike.
Always.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
oney Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2005, 22:45

if Mike does read tjis , Mike i am extremly sorry i did not intend this to be a discussion in which even more insults where thrown at you. as for the administrators saying "we tend to stay away from Mike oldfields privae life ' what nonsense the amount of abuse on this site , though not just this site it appears on most of his "fans" sites
For crying out loud stick to music and please try to be positve and mostly leave mike and his family out of your trashing of his music which i love and shall continue to do no matter how many "fans" trash what he produces.
Profile PM 
stevenmd779 Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2005, 23:20

I agree whith what Oney said.

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Boogs is fo' da chode man.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 30 2005, 03:57

If you didn't want to hear why some people feel so negative, why did you pose the question in the first place?

I have negative feelings about the new album, so I express those feelings in this forum, because that's what this place is, a forum, not a repository for the thoughts of devotee's only. I dislike Light and Shade intensely, and I stand by my right to say so. I adore Ommadawn, and I stand by my right to say that too.
CuNimb Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2005, 04:22

Before you pass judgement on someone you should first walk a mile in their shoes.......

--------------
Happy? ha ha ha....
Profile PM 
86 replies since Nov. 29 2005, 07:42 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net