Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: "Crisis"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jimmy Nimbus Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 01 2010, 14:02

Was this ever officially released in any territory as "Crisis"? My Disky CD of it has "Crisis" as the title on the disc (but not the cover) which I would have written off as a typo. A bad one, but nothing more, but then I started seeing covers like this online:

and

etc

It's most perplexing.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2010, 15:26

:O

agree...

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2010, 16:40

:(

Bad Virgin.

(Delfin - how do you get the smilie in the middle of the page?)

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2010, 17:38

Quote (wiga @ Sep. 01 2010, 22:40)
:(

Bad Virgin.

(Delfin - how do you get the smilie in the middle of the page?)

Haha.

I couldn't at the beginning but then... look at the two little points at the beginning of the message...

That's the point                              .

:cool:  hehe  :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2010, 20:23

It looks like one of the pirate recordings you can pick up for a few cents in Singapore (and elsewhere in southeast asia). I remember years ago in Singapore I bought a cassette of Dark Side of the Moon with the usual prism cover but the band not "Pink Floyd" but "Pink J-Loyd". The guy tried to tell me that Pink Floyd were originally called "Pink J-Loyd", which I thought was so funny I bought the cassette anyway!
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 01 2010, 20:51

Quote (nightspore @ Sep. 02 2010, 10:23)
It looks like one of the pirate recordings you can pick up for a few cents in Singapore (and elsewhere in southeast asia). I remember years ago in Singapore I bought a cassette of Dark Side of the Moon with the usual prism cover but the band not "Pink Floyd" but "Pink J-Loyd". The guy tried to tell me that Pink Floyd were originally called "Pink J-Loyd", which I thought was so funny I bought the cassette anyway!

You beat me to the punch Nightspore I was going to say ,
So you have been to Bali too.

I remember getting the complete Mo from Bali a single cassette with Vangelis used as filler at the end   :laugh:
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2010, 01:13

:cool:

thanks!!

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2010, 08:12

There's no mistery at all; they are translated into spanish, as they seem some latin_american editions; you can see also spanish titles in the cassette label; and in spanish, "Crises", means "Crisis" (both singular and plural word.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2010, 19:22

Oh, yes?? I didn't know that.

Y ezo que zoy de graná.

Cazi ná.

Un abrazo, tío.

Delfín>>

--------------
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2010, 19:22

Quote (Nacho @ Sep. 02 2010, 14:12)
There's no mistery at all; they are translated into spanish, as they seem some latin_american editions; you can see also spanish titles in the cassette label; and in spanish, "Crises", means "Crisis" (both singular and plural word.

Oh, yes?? I didn't know that.

Y ezo que zoy de graná.

Cazi ná.

Un abrazo, tío.

Delfín>>

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 03 2010, 10:59

Quote (nightspore @ Sep. 01 2010, 20:23)
I remember years ago in Singapore I bought a cassette of Dark Side of the Moon with the usual prism cover but the band not "Pink Floyd" but "Pink J-Loyd". The guy tried to tell me that Pink Floyd were originally called "Pink J-Loyd", which I thought was so funny I bought the cassette anyway!

That was back from when they were a hip hop band, isn't it?

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2010, 11:17

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Sep. 03 2010, 10:59)
Quote (nightspore @ Sep. 01 2010, 20:23)
I remember years ago in Singapore I bought a cassette of Dark Side of the Moon with the usual prism cover but the band not "Pink Floyd" but "Pink J-Loyd". The guy tried to tell me that Pink Floyd were originally called "Pink J-Loyd", which I thought was so funny I bought the cassette anyway!

That was back from when they were a hip hop band, isn't it?

I'm sure that if the guy had thought of that angle he would have been happy to use it! You can see how the typo came about: a scrawled "F" looks like "J-". Very Proustian, a la "Gilberte/Albertine.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2010, 19:39

Quote (nightspore @ Sep. 03 2010, 17:17)
I'm sure that if the guy had thought of that angle he would have been happy to use it! You can see how the typo came about: a scrawled "F" looks like "J-". Very Proustian, a la "Gilberte/Albertine.

Oh. So this is like "Sake of Song" (a Blackmore's Night B-side) which was renamed "Lake of Song" on a bootleg I downloaded some time ago, because on the back cover the initial S of track 6 looks very much like an L. :D [If you are unable to see this, I'll send you the full image.]

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2010, 19:52

Also, in the 'Meddle' album, Pink Floyd are credited in the cover as "The Pink Floyd", that being the only time they're named like that as far as I know.

Something similar to "Michael Oldfield" in 'Heaven's Open'. Apparently, in 'Tubular Bells' and the rest of the albums he was initially intended to be credited with his long name.

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2010, 22:14

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 03 2010, 19:39)
Quote (nightspore @ Sep. 03 2010, 17:17)

Oh. So this is like "Sake of Song" (a Blackmore's Night B-side) which was renamed "Lake of Song" on a bootleg I downloaded some time ago, because on the back cover the initial S of track 6 looks very much like an L. :D [If you are unable to see this, I'll send you the full image.]

Exactly. I've come across other examples of this, which I'll post when I remember them.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2010, 22:16

Quote (Delfín @ Sep. 03 2010, 19:52)
Also, in the 'Meddle' album, Pink Floyd are credited in the cover as "The Pink Floyd", that being the only time they're named like that as far as I know.

Something similar to "Michael Oldfield" in 'Heaven's Open'. Apparently, in 'Tubular Bells' and the rest of the albums he was initially intended to be credited with his long name.

No, they were known as "The Pink Floyd" in the early dyas. See the cover of More.
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2010, 01:28

Actually, I think it was "The Pink Floyd Sound"

But my memory may be giving way.

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2010, 04:52

Incantations, you do realise that as a self-respecting Incantations fan, it is your duty to dress like Mike on the album sleeve? And, once a year, ro stand looking wistful on a winter beach? :D
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2010, 15:17

This is all well and good, but how do you explain this?

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2010, 15:56

@ CJJC: :laugh: :laugh: Very good! :laugh:

Joking aside, I used to own an Italian 7'' (made in Italy, printed in Italy) of "Moonlight Shadow" (which I sold). It had "Mike Oldfield" correctly as artist credit on both sides, but also on both sides the composer was credited as "M. Olfield" !! :O [Another Italian single which I don't have - I don't remember what is it - also has "Olfield" on the label.] Evidently the Crisis/Crises era was a particularily prolific period for mi(ke)stakes by Virgin and its various international branches...

@ Incantations: The Pink Floyd Sound was a moniker for their first demos, which were later released on and orange-vinyl boot called Projected Sounds. The actual band name was The Pink Floyd. Later on, they dropped the "The".

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
23 replies since Sep. 01 2010, 14:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net