Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tangerine Dream - Live in London 1st November 2008< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Pertou Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 22 2008, 12:49

Hello Mike Oldfield fans.

As you might know, Tangerine Dream got signed with Virgin shortly after Tubular Bell was released, and did also record a couple of albums at The Manor - Phaedra and Rubycon which have the same classic status as Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn.

Tangerine Dream's music is very emotional, and has a distinct sound, not always that far away from Mike Oldfield's. Especially when the maestro of the band Edgar Froese performs a guitar solo, one get's to think of Mike Oldfield.

Tangerine Dream don't perform much these days, so it's a great oppurtunity to watch some excellent music for three hours, when they perform a show in London in November.

Hope to meet some of you there.

Info from the official site:

= = THE_ LONDON_ EYE_ CONCERT 2008 = =

TICKETS CAN BE ORDERED NOW!!
Good news for all our UK fans:
November 1st Tangerine Dream will perform a 3 hours show at THE FORUM in London (Kentish Town).

They will start with the analogue years and finish with a digital outlook to the next decade of music by using high tech
electronics. It will be a special event, because a bigger part of the set has never been performed live.

Tickets available on www.ticketweb.co.uk & www.stargreen.co.uk

--------------
Please visit my Tangerine Dream Blog
http://tangerinedream.pertou.dk/
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 23 2008, 01:39

Hell yeah. I like TD. Especially "Force Majeur(sp)" and "Melrose". If I can procure tickets, I'll be there.......!!

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Pertou Offline

Posted: July 23 2008, 12:22

A little update, Tangerine Dream will also play in Edinburgh the day after.
http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/artist...._search

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2008, 20:48

Tangerine Dream are a band I`ve started to become very interested in again over the last few months,after I kind of give up on them at some point during the mid-80`s.Lots of reasons behind that really,including some of my own changing personal tastes as well I suppose.But I think more than anything was that I just got bored with them seemingly releasing the same old tired formula over and over again.Since then I`d always wanted to kind of re-discover them in a way,but the sheer volume of albums/e.p.`s and soundtracks they put out is a little bit intimidating I have to say.Anyway I was kindly given a copy of one of their many "latest" albums just recently called Views From A Red Train and well I basicaly hav`nt looked back.I mean I`m not going to sit here and recommend everything they`ve ever reorded,but the amount of great stuff they have put out is quite staggering.The amount of great stuff they`ve put out over the last two years alone is unbelievable.I`m just really enjoying myself at the moment going through all these fantastic albums I`ve missed.And in a strange way the "formula" if you like is still there really,it`s just that I can understand and "feel" it more now somehow...What on earth was I thinking about?..

A couple of recent albums/projects I do want to mention though because they`re just too good not to I feel.Are firstly an album entitled Madcap`s Flaming Duty which was recorded as a tribute to Syd Barret and features vocals from a guy called Chris Hausl.Now I had serious reservations about this album when I first heard of it because well basicaly Tangerine Dream "songs" in the past have just not been to my taste at all.You know even 90% of their fanbase don`t like them doing songs,it`s kind of Mike Oldfield territory all over again I guess.But honestly this album start to finish is just a complete gem,fantastic stuff.And this guy Hausl sounds maybe a bit like Dave Gahan/Pete Murphy to me but with a much greater vocal range and more dynamics.I don`t know he`s like Ian Curtis meets Morten Harket or something,if there could be such a thing??,,But either way I really love his voice though,and it works so perfectly set against Tangerine Dream`s music here.And they sound so fresh,exciting and new,it`s unbelievable to think they`ve been around for forty years now.But above all else is the vast pallete of emotion conveyed on the album as Pertou alludes to earlier with this band I suppose.And at 70 plus minutes long..man does this thing wear you out.I just can`t get enough of it.One of the tracks is actualy their own interpratation of a traditional song called The Lake Of Pontchartrain,of which somebody has made a great little video for up on youtube here. Quite possibly my favourite song of the year for me though errr even though it came out last year I guess.. :p

Secondly I`d like to mention a very ambitous project they`ve undertaken or rather Edgar Froese himself called The Five Atomic Seasons.Froese was commisioned for this work by an 82 year old Japanese buisnessman who lived through the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945.You can read a little more about the project here So far they`ve only released the first two parts Spring In Nagasaki and Summer In Nagasaki.I think the third part Autumn In Hiroshima is due for release soon,or it`s just been released I`m not too sure? Again all I can really mention here is the wide range of emotion Froese manages to convey in the work.As well as some of the images those emotions relate to regarding the work itself I suppose.A couple of things that article does`nt mention I don`t think are the fact that Mr H.T. lost his then girlfriend in the blast.And that after the bombing of Hiroshima he spent some twenty years in a monastery.Of which I`m guessing the fifth part "The Endless Season" will be attempting to convey.But obviously though it`s a very interesting story behind what is imo some fantastic/thought provoking music.And certainly very brave of them,no question.
Profile PM 
Pertou Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2008, 12:11

Dirk Star, it's a pleasure to read that you've rediscovered TD through these recent times. I'm sure a lot of people who followed the band constantly, would say you've chosen a good time to come back, as the music is certainly better than ever.

"Autumn In Hiroshima" is just released, it's a very spectacular work with "Trauma" being the highlight. It comes highly recommended.

I hope to meet you in London and/or Edinburgh this weekend!  :)

Jacob.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2008, 12:22

Well I`ll look forward to hearing Autumn In Hiroshima sometime in the near future Pertou, thanks for that.Unfortunatly I wont be attending either of the gigs due to finances amongst other things,but I hope you have a great time there.Should be an amazing show   :)
Profile PM 
Pertou Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2008, 12:31

Quote (Dirk Star @ Oct. 27 2008, 12:22)
Well I`ll look forward to hearing Autumn In Hiroshima sometime in the near future Pertou, thanks for that.Unfortunatly I wont be attending either of the gigs due to finances amongst other things,but I hope you have a great time there.Should be an amazing show   :)

The current tradition is a dvd release & mp3 download of every show, so I hope that'll make up for it.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
6 replies since July 22 2008, 12:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net