Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What Other Books Should Mike Do?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 19 2008, 22:24

In my opinion, Mike in this record does an excellent job of capturing the vastness of space and the joy of humanity's venturing into it. My question is this: what other books would you like him to provide the musical accompaniment for? My own contender is David Lindsay's A Voyage to Arcturus. It's a pity that most of you won't know this novel, but I can think of no one else, including classical composers, who could capture the unique feel of it.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 19 2008, 22:49

Catch-22!!

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Bassman Offline

Posted: May 20 2008, 00:52

Maurice Sendak's "Where The Wild Things Are".

No, I'm not kidding.  Think about it.  It would be incredible.  MO is no stranger to music that can be appreciated by kids-and the kid in all of us.  I dare say MO could use a bit of re-acquaintance with his "inner child" (speaking respectfully from a listener's point of view, of course).

Barring that, ERB's "A Princess Of Mars".

:)

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 20 2008, 01:51

Quote (Bassman @ May 20 2008, 00:52)
ERB's "A Princess Of Mars".

That's a coincidence, Bassman... for several years there have been off and on rumors of a "Princess of Mars" movie project, and for awhile now I've been thinking that MO would be a great choice to score such a film (or at least my fantasy version of it). Did you read my mind, or did I read yours??

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: May 20 2008, 02:05

Loved the book since I was a kid.  It had everything.  Even have a hardcover edition with incidental sketch illustrations by Frank Frazetta!  Always hoped someone would come along and make a movie out of it, but now I'm scared to death it'll end up with some ham-fisted cheeseball director who'll treat it like a joke, complete with gawd-awful CG overabuse.

Michael Bay I'm looking at you.    :(
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: May 20 2008, 03:14

The Hunchback Of Notre Dame.. ;)
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 20 2008, 12:15

The "His Dark Materials" trilogy. Lots of themes to get his teeth into there! Loss, love, connected universes, theology, oppression, "dust" and of course big armoured bears :-)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: May 20 2008, 13:41

Fly Fishing by J R Hartley.

The Bible- contributions from various artist's.

Maggott Farming by P Nissless.

The Readers Digest guide to bed and breakfast accomodation for the UK/Ireland 1973 edition.

The Phone Book by BT.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 20 2008, 15:23

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ May 20 2008, 18:41)
The Readers Digest guide to bed and breakfast accomodation for the UK/Ireland 1973 edition.

That's already been done hasn't it? Or was The Beacon not a B&B in '73   ;)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 20 2008, 20:11

I don't know, but Clint Eastwood and Angelina Jolie did a Changeling movie. :p I'm sure some Angelina Jolie fans will buy the book. An appropriate ambiguous sticker or a rework of the cover might help to boost the sales even more.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 20 2008, 20:31

Quote (Olivier @ May 20 2008, 22:11)
I don't know, but Clint Eastwood and Angelina Jolie did a Changeling movie. :p I'm sure some Angelina Jolie fans will buy the book. An appropriate ambiguous sticker or a rework of the cover might help to boost the sales even more.

I'd rather prefer Mike's soundtrack to his own autobiography...it doesn't mean it's his full discography  ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: April 12 2009, 23:07

What about "A Clockwork Orange"?

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 15 2009, 17:28

Lord Of The Rings  :)  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 15 2009, 19:45

Quote (moonchildhippy @ May 15 2009, 17:28)
Lord Of The Rings  :)  :D .

That book is so passé that I doubt it could stimulate anyone to produce any worthwhile music now. One book that I guess MO wouldn't set to music would be The Da Vinci Code, given that its ruffled quite a few Papal feathers.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 16 2009, 02:33

LOTR passe :O  :/ , I think it's fantastic,still but  each to his/her own on this  :)  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 16 2009, 07:10

I read it once, years ago. Its appeal obviously lies in the detail of the world it creates. Quite a few people find the first 50 pages or so very heavy-going, even dull, though, so it's quite surprising that it has become as popular as it has. I also find it hard to accept that so many people are prepared to identify with anything as piffling as a hobbit! Certainly a case of "the meek will inherit Middle-Earth"!
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 16 2009, 12:36

Considering TSODE, I don't think Mike should "do" another book.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: May 16 2009, 13:39

Quote (nightspore @ May 16 2009, 07:10)
a case of "the meek will inherit Middle-Earth"!

Off topic for a moment - I have often wondered how the 'meek' would react if they inherited the earth, that is, if meekness is a passive attitude. Would it would be like - "Er, thank you very much for the earth - er, well what do we do with it now?"      :/

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 16 2009, 20:39

Quote (wiga @ May 16 2009, 13:39)
Quote (nightspore @ May 16 2009, 07:10)
a case of "the meek will inherit Middle-Earth"!

Off topic for a moment - I have often wondered how the 'meek' would react if they inherited the earth, that is, if meekness is a passive attitude. Would it would be like - "Er, thank you very much for the earth - er, well what do we do with it now?"      :/

I suppose the political correctness movement can be considered the quintessence of meekness - the only thing that will stop it from inheriting the earth is the presence of ideologies (I understand you have laws in the UK preventing the naming of such things, so I won't do any naming here) that believe right and wrong are absolutes dictated by God.

I remember there was an amusing line in Not the Nine O'Clock News or Monty Python or Blackadder to the effect: "Blessed are the meek, for they shall be shouted at in a loud and hectoring manner".
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 16 2009, 21:46

Embarrassing as it is to admit, the first time I heard the line of the meek inheriting the Earth was in 2112, by Rush. Yeah, that's how literate I am.

Now I don't mean to be offensive to those who are religious (I absolutely respect people's spirituality as long as it doesn't harm anyone else), but I don't think I'd want to live in a world inherited by the "meek"... The world depends on all its contrasts and balances, and any kind of heavy imbalance is bound to turn extremely harmful.

Back on topic...

... I still stand by me suggestion of Catch-22.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
67 replies since May 19 2008, 22:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net