Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Adelaide MO Convention and Concert., Symphony Orchestra plays OTB, Sept 16th.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TubularBelle Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 17 2006, 06:58

Hello everyone,

Only one thing in my life could top the experience I had last night and that would be to see Mike Oldfield himself perform Tubular Bells and as that will probably never happen I think I can safely say that last night was the most awesome experience of my life.

We arrived at the Adelaide University at 11am, an hour before the Convention was due to start to help Matthew Sorrel, a Lecturer at the Uni and MO authority, to set up. Andrew, a former tubularnet member, had arrived early from Melbourne and with my sister Annette, we carted some of the gear over from Matts Office. Matt had set up the projector and all the audio and video equipment in the Little Theatre, and we had a few tables for some of Matt and my collectibles and rarities and there was a piano which a few people had a tinkle on (no, not that! ) with my TB Oil Painting sitting on top. There were plenty of free goodies inc food,(chips, dips and a lovely cheese platter) and lots of beer and wine and we were later treated to pizza! Attendance was a little disappointing, a total of 20 people, a crowd of 40 to 50 would have been a little more worthy of the trouble that Matt had gone to but everyone looked to be having a good time and the conversation flowed easilly and freely.

We had Matthew, his wife Michelle and their 18 mth old daughter Charlotte.
My partner Michael and myself.
My sister Annette and my son Brett.
Brian (friendly security) and Nic (tending bar).
Alan and his wife Jenni.
Alans mate Brendan.
Ian (Wolfus from the Amarok Mailing List).
Gwyn (Amarok Mailing List) who came from Sydney
and his son Gareth who lives locally.
Andrew (tubularnet) from Melbourne.
Alan and Louise (our only surprise guests, heard about it on the net).
Rob from Brisbane (tubularnet member Australopithicine)
and Kara (aka another tubularbelle) and Jason.

Matt was very organised, he played the Montreau and Elements dvds, and records, and we showed a speech by Tom Newman at a 1996 Hiawatha meeting, and Matts Einstein Factor appearance. Matt had several rare cds and compilations and associated artists etc such as David Bedfords Odyssey (which I can't wait to get) and I took all my Dark Star mags and my sisters book (featuring artwork shown on this site) and newspaper articles, plus a 'magic eye' 3D TB image.

Apart from Matts incredibly detailed knowledge of Mike, he surprised up with some announcements. First we were presented with free T shirts featuring the TB logo, and the words, THE LEGEND LIVES ON, with details of the event happening later in the evening, very good quality, only a few late arrivals missed out. These were very generously provided by Wolfus who ironed all the transfers on the night before I heard. Then Matt presented everyone with a free rare dvd, possibly shouldn't mention the title. He then read out a personal email from David Bedford which I will print up a transcript of if I get permission.

But the best was yet to come, not only was Matt giving the pre-concert talk at the Adelaide Town Hall on Mike Oldfield and Tubular Bells, but as a Professional Bell Ringer, was going to open up the Bell Tower and at the 17 minute mark of OTB when all you can hear is the ring of a distant bell, the entire Orchestra would sit quietly for a few moments and all you would hear would be Matt doing his magic. God, the anticipation!!!!

Wolfus was snapping away with the camera so I hope he will post some photos of the event very shortly. Matt asked us all to wear our new T shirts proudly at the pre concert talk. At 4pm, the place emptied out pretty quickly, Matt had to pack up and be in his tuxedo and at the Town Hall before 5:30, and our little group dispersed momentarilly to freshen up. We taxied back to my sisters flat who lives in the City and got changed into out finery, and we popped our T shirts on over the top. We arrived late to the Town Hall because just as we were piling into the taxi, we saw an elderly man in a gopher run off the footpath and fall over and we had to wait for him to reorientate before we could pick him up and dust him off. Matthew was already giving his talk and we snuck in the back. It was a really articulate and well thought out talk catering to the tastes of the 'regular' Orchestra type audience. He played little snippets of Mikes music including a small section where he played Mikes version of TB immediately followed by the same piece orchestrated. I found it interesting how in order to endear this audience to an artist that they might not normally find endearing, he had to remove all the aspects of Mikes style and career that attracted me and possibly many of us, to Mike in the first place. I was happy to hear him say that he did feel that parts of the original TB appeal had been 'lost' in the orchestral recreation. Towards the end of Matts talk he mentioned our little Convention and asked all the people wearing T shirts to stand up which seemed to impress the small crowd and certainly made us feel special.

After a brief interlude, around 300 people (at a rough guess) gathered in the majestic room. I couldn't see any of our MO fans but we sat in the 4th row facing the cellists but having a clearer view of the violinists who dominated the stage. We listened to Mozart for about 30 minutes which was very nice and after the audience had showed their appreciation I sat with baited breath waiting for the first magic notes to sound out. What a feeling! Had my son not been sitting next to me I may have been able to contain my emotions a little better, but he sat forward in his chair and every few minutes would whisper, 'oh wow' or 'I love this bit' and I just couldn't keep it in. I cried consistantly for about 20 minutes of the 25 minute concert, and when the whole room went quiet and all we could hear was the sound of a distant bell, indescribable, a spiritual moment perhaps. I certainly noticed the absence of the guitar and the piano but oh those violins!!!!!! Michael was holding my hand and I could hear my sister asking him to swap places with her because 'he didn't understand the enormity of this experience for me' but he just said 'Yeh I do, I live with her!'. I couldn't take my eyes from the stage, my only experience of symphony music had been the 30 minutes of Mozart I had just witnessed and it may have just been wishfull thinking on my part, but I thought I could see an exuberance and enjoyment on the faces of the musicians that just wasn't there in the earlier piece, I certainly felt it. As the Orchestra played their final note, while I was fumbling to disregard my hankie so I could use both hands to applaud, my sister had jumped to her feet followed by my son and then myself and I forgot to look around but my son says about a dozen other people stood up as well, but I think we three were the only ones hollering and yahooing, very tastefully though. :D I think I even saw one of the violinists catch the state of my bright red face with black streaks running down my cheeks and gave me a little smile. They all looked very pleased with themselves and the clapping lasted for a full 5 minutes (well it felt like it).

Intermission, followed by quite a lengthy Brahms peice which was beautiful but I found my mind kept wandering back for almost the entire time and tears still coming to my eyes. The show finished just after 8:30 (started at 6:30) and we wandered across the road to the Pub to meet up with everyone but only Andrew joined us, even my sister had disappeared! Had 4 panadols with my hot chocolate (it hurts your brain trying not to blubber for half an hour) and we caught the 10pm train home, played MO cds for a couple of hours and went to bed with smiles on our dials. :D

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2006, 08:03

Thanks for that great account TubularBelle. Sounded like a wonderful and meaningful experience.  :cool:

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2006, 08:45

Wow that must've been a deep and meaningful experience   :), for everyone.

BTW is it possible to see a photo of the T-shirts please.

It's unlikely I'll get to Germany, dammit!!! for NOTP this year, unless I win about £2,000-£5,000 on the Lottery (my work situation went a bit "pear shaped" about 2 months or so ago).  It would be great if a similar meeting could be arranged for UK fans.I no longer have commitments to keep me tied to the home  :D.

I guess I'd better go and set the wheels in motion to improve my current situation  ;) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2006, 09:11

Will post pics asap.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 17 2006, 10:28

Sounds good did anyone take in a Recorder or will a CD be
released later ?? :D
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2006, 20:13

The Concert will be played on ABC radio soon which I hope to record and I believe a friend may have got a video.

Don't know if any footage was taken of the Convention but I will find out!

The design on the T shirt.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/Tubularbelle/Tshirt.jpg

Now a scene from the Convention. Left to Right:Son Brett, Me, Brian, Gwyn, Gareth, Alan, Louise, Matthew (in front), sister Annette (at back), Brendan, Alan and Jenni.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/Tubularbelle/Convention1.jpg

Matthew giving his talk in the Town Hall.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/Tubularbelle/Convention2.jpg

and Matthews solid gold Tubular Bell pendant.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums....ant.jpg

--------------
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2006, 20:26

To Alan and Louise who said they found out about the Convention by perusing the net. If this is where you found it, please give us an account of the day and evenings events from your point of view. Was nice meeting you. Contact me anytime, love a good MO natter.

Also, during intermission at the Town Hall, Brett and I spotted a man (with a cane) wearing a TBII T shirt, and we shook his hand and had a brief chat. He was sorry to have not known about the Convention. If you happen to visit this site sir, (I think I mentioned it to him), please say hello to us and tell us your thoughts.

Off to see what's happening on the Amarok Mailing List and if I can scrounge some more piccies or video perhaps.

--------------
Profile PM 
SentinelGard Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2006, 02:36

Great story Tubularbelle..  :D

--------------
"Onwards & Upwards'"
Profile PM WEB 
SentinelGard Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2006, 02:38

Thanks for posting this story tubularbelle Your moment by moment account of the day almost had me feeling like i was there  but sadly i couldn't attend even though i live in the same city. Those T-shirts would be worth their wieght in gold ..LOL.  :laugh: I would luv to get my hands on one  . :cool: . Sounds like it was a great day . It would be the closest thing we would get here in Oz as seeing Mike play live .

--------------
"Onwards & Upwards'"
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2006, 16:44

Thanks ever so much, Tracy, for sharing this experience with us.
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2006, 18:00

Ditto that! Fantastic account, Tracy - left me feeling so incredibly jealous of all those who were able to make it!

Ah well... maybe next time...

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Australopithicine Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2006, 05:23

You're a hard act to follow, Tracy, thanks a lot for the heart felt account!

Firstly just want to agree with everything Tracy said.

The convention was a great little gathering, I regret not being able to get there earlier; and not just because Tracy thoroughly alerted me to the fact that had I done so I'd have scored one of those beaut T Shirts.

Anyway, they were a great bunch of guys and gals and very easy to get along with. Matthew Sorrell is completely obsessed, and his very understanding and in fact encouraging wife Michelle is a fan herself - if you can't beat them, join them I suppose. ;)

Thanks a lot Matthew and Michelle for going to all that trouble, and also to Tracy who helped organise the convention; and importantly who told me about the concert in the first place.

Tracy was as always the life of the party before she made herself absent in time to powder her nose for the concert...

The Adelaide Symphony Orchestra plays Tubular Bells! OMG could it get any better? While I possibly travelled further than anyone else in the world to see this show, being an Adelaide boy from way (way) back the location was ideal.

Little old Adelaide huh? I thought I'd have to go to Europe to see Mike's music performed live by professional musicians again! It certainly was shaping up to be a very meaningful event for me from the get-go.

So what was it like?

AMAZING!

Being a fan of the good old days of Mike Oldfield, it was an absolute treat to see the score performed in all it's original glory. Apparently the orchestra "found a couple of errors" in the score which they "corrected" with David Bedford's blessing. These orchestral folks will never understand rock 'n roll. ;)

Anyway the music was completely thrilling, I mean I liked the Orchestral Tubular Bells album and expected the performance to be reasonably cool without Mike, but I was completely unprepared for how cool it turned out!

In fact, and dare I say, I am kind of glad Mike didn't get his fingers on it because I don't think he would have been able to resist introducing his more modern ideas (sequel theory etc) into the mix.

It was really great to see a bunch of highly trained and passionate musos, who always do *exactly* as they're told playing Mike Oldfield. Each member of the orchestra seemed to have a way of expressing that they went to all this trouble for me personally. :)

It must have been interesting for the orchestra to see the Mike Oldfield fans at their show. I imagined that rarely would people exhibit such emotion at their performances; and that was reflected in what conversation with the ushers revealed. "It was *very* well received" they said. :)

Actually it was a standing ovation. I made a point of being the first one to start clapping when it finished; and joined in the standing and prolongued applause, actually my hands started to hurt.  

We didn't start stomping our feet or anything because I guess we all hope they'll brace Pt.2 at some stage in the future and we'll do all this again - otherwise we'd have been wahooing like those guys on Exposed during Incantations Pt 2. ;)

It sent me into an unexpected simultaneous grin-cry state; I couldn't wipe the smile of my face for the duration. It certainly was a very moving experience, and very difficult to describe the joy you will feel as an MO fan if you ever get to see it.

It's eye opening how an orchestra really can capture the mood of music that was written a long time ago. Of course it's their territory for the most part, but I had never imagined such a wicked demonstration of Orchestra-Power!

Thanyou so much to the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra for giving a handful of us a truly unforgettable experience with their passionate performance!

Cheers!

~R~
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2006, 06:09

Hello Rob,

You really should have asked Annette to give you her T shirt as I knew it wasn't going to fit her and she just told me she was going to cut the picture off and sew it onto her jeans. In the end I managed to convince her to at least just sew it onto a bigger T shirt.

Can't wait to post Wolfus' excellent review that he has posted over on the Amarok Mailing List as soon as I get his permission. Looks like my Michael has a new admirer ;) But for Wolfus, it seems, it was all about the clothes!! No seriously, very funny and interesting review.

I'm still on a high, I was telling my brother all about it last night and guess what, I cried, no really! I did.

Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike MIke Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike

--------------
Profile PM 
Australopithicine Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2006, 06:47

Sounds like Annette's keeping the art anyway, that's the main thing. :)

Was just thinking, there was a bit that didn't sound quite right in terms of David Bedford's orchestration from memory think it was near the end. I am wondering if that's the bit they changed.

I distinctly remember thinking they'd got that bit wrong as I accompanied a mate to his car.

Guess we'll have to wait and see if the recorder accidentally got left on after it recorded Matthew Sorrell's talk. ;)

Anyway, didn't detract from the enjoyment one bit, just an interesting curio. In fact I just wrote on the ASO feedback form to tell them what a splendid job I thought they did.

~R~
Profile PM 
wolfus Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2006, 08:09

hello you net types  :)

you can see pix from the Adelaide Bells mini-convention here:

http://wolfus.smugmug.com/gallery/1908716

pls note this URL is the only way in - this remains essentially a private gallery - ie: it aint searchable via engines..

pls note also that there are two pages - 18 photos in all..

and pls pls be discrete about who you share the URL with..

all images copyright wolfus 2006

cheers,

wolfus
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2006, 19:03

I am just so jealous of you all...thank you Tracey, Wolfus and Matt for letting us share in this experience. In my mind I can hear those ghost bells ringing......

When and if that ABC recording hits the 'net, i'll be looking for it.

As Moonchildhippy said, it would be great to organise something for us UK fans. Seems odd that our Aussie, German and Spanish brethren can get together, but we here in the UK can't.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
TheBlackKnight Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2006, 19:49

G'Day,
Total newbie here - but I'll own up to being the bloke with the TBII t-shirt on at the concert. It was great to meet TubularBelle & Co, although I think that maybe my "It was good" when asked what I thought of the concert wasn't quite effusive enough! Must be the pommie blood... what I meant to say was that it was "Totally Tubular, Man".
This was only the third concert of M.O. that I have been to, the others were Platinum, in Bristol and TBII in Munich. I am also a season ticket holder at the A.S.O., as I am a great admirer of the orchestra.

I really enjoyed the concert, and yes, I too was finding it very emotional hearing Tubular Bells being played live, even though I have to admit I am not a great fan of David Bedford's arrangement. I didn't notice that the ASO had wandered from his score, as I have to admit that in the 20 odd years I have owned the CD of orchestral tubular bells, I have only played it a couple of times, as I find it doesn't have the smooth flow of Mike's work. I also heartily dislike the majority of 20th century "classical" composers for the same reason - maybe my tastes aren't educated enough, but if I can't follow the tune, it loses me!

The ASO over the last couple of years have had a couple of concerts that have also received standing ovations - and yes, I was number 2 on my feet (only because I was impeded by my walking stick!;), and both were concerts where they were playing "rock" music. Two years ago, a good friend of mine, Vince Contarino approached the ASO and suggested they do a Led Zeppelin concert, and the result after a year of hard work for Vince, was an amazing evening. This year, the rest of Vince's band got together with the ASO for a concert of Pink Floyd music, arranged by Jamie Messenger and Bruce Stewart.

What I would love to see is for someone to come up with an arrangement of any of Mike Oldfield's work, for an Orchestra, including the Grand Piano, and with what I consider to be the essential addition of guitars. Something that really captures the music without bending it to fit a "standard orchestra" so much that it loses something in the translation. If anyone out there has the skill to do that, then maybe orchestras like the ASO would be encouraged to play Mike Oldfield's works more often, in more cities around the world, and those of us too geographically challenged to make it to a real Mike Oldfield concert can also enjoy the experience.

I'd better run for cover now before the David Bedford fans come after me!

Oh, and no, my mascara didn't run, but only because I wasn't wearing any! (I keep that for the Rocky Horror Show). :D
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2006, 01:02

Adelaide Bells - Part one

Hey there folks!

Well, the Antipodean Amarok gathering at Adelaide University was a blast!..

but first, some background...

I raced home after work the Thursday before the concert - funnily enough, that was the opening night of the show  - and
set to work on a dozen T shirts, which incorporated the work of the wonderful Hans Claesson, who kinldy gave his permission to use it - thankyou Hans!  While I was printing them out on my trusty HP printer, and ironing them on the hottest hot hot hot setting possible, then peeling off the transfers ever so carefully, a wonderful tubular fellow who I now feel I know pretty well - after all he's a TV star as well as a leading South Australian Academic, the cuddly and koala-esque Matthew Sorrell - was taking the stage for a pre-concert talk - something of a tradition for the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra at the Adelaide Town Hall, I'm told.

The program, if there's anybody out there who doesn't yet know, consisted of Mozart's "Paris" Symphony, Brahms' 2nd Piano Concerto, and some odd little quasi-classical piece nobody here would know anything about - the Orchestral Tubular Bells!

So Matthew's figuring was, why not hold an Amarok mini-convention earlier on the Saturday, and make something of a fan event of it? Kindly fellow that he is, Matthew decided to pump his fees for his appearances in the concert program into various social lubricants and nutritional sustenance for those heavy partying Amarokers..whose reputation precedes them, and is second only to Guns & Roses and possibly the Rolling Stones when it comes to indulgence and wild behaviour.

I'm a bit of a stranger to Adelaide, but for a city, it's kinda small - a bit like Anchorage, Alaska, but not as easy to navigate. So on a beautiful 29 degree Adelaide spring morning, I found myself armed with a dozen T shirts, heading across town to meet Dr Sorrell and the assembled fan base, such as it is, in the "Little Theatre" at Adelaide Uni.

Well, it was a hoot. Matthew had set up a great sound system and a giant screen on which the Montreau video was playing. Tubular Tracey had brought an entourage including her son, her sister, and her hunky husband Michael (I only know he's hunky because he stripped off in front of everyone to dive into his Tubular T shirt - which I must immodestly say - looked a million bucks), and then there was Matthew and his lovely wife Michelle, Gwynn Cleeves - who had also been training like a beast, Gwynn's son Gareth, me ( I was bit fat and out of shape! ), Alan P ( g'day Al! ) and a few others unknown to
me, many of the names I forget, but the faces (and the T shirts) I will always remember.

There was lots to drink, and eat, (mmmmmm..pizza! ) and it was great to meet everyone, and bask in all the assembled Mike paraphernalia - even one of those 3D thingies where your eyes have to converge to see the hidden image (it was a "tubular bell" - d'oh! ), and also in that wonderful shared spirit that only comes at an Amarok convention, no matter how small.

The four hours Matthew had booked the Little Theatre for went by faster than a Bondi tram, and by 4.30pm, when we'd humped all the gear back to Matthew's office, there was less than an hour to get back across town, get spruced up and into the Town Hall for Dr Sorrell's multi-media pre-concert speech on Mike Oldfield...let me tell you Amarokers, he did us proud..

--------------
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2006, 01:03

Part two...THE SHOW!

...so at the convention, Matthew tells us that the conductor has asked up to wear our T shirts to the show that night..while this is flattering, with the t shirts being very blue on white, it rather limits one's Saville Row wardrobe choices for the evening..ah - well - thank goodness Phil Bendall wasn't there - it would have clashed horribly with his tuxedo  ( Actually, Phil, you would have been most welcome - you would have fitted in like a hand in a glove! ) I had to bolt from my hotel in pants that I suddenly realised were too tight (I had only worn them once before - when I was young, fit and good looking - last year ) and a brand new checked shirt opened over the famous T.. I made it in the door just as one of the orchestra members and Matthew were about to start their talks..

Matthew had suddenly lost of all of his koala-esque jeans & t shirt familiarity and looked quite the consumate orator up there. He spoke for a good fifteen minutes about Mike and the origins of Tubular Bells, about Bedford and what motivated him to do an orchestral version ( money! ). He peppered the speech with a few self-deprecating jokes, but the thing that most impressed me was his absolutely unapologetic passion for Mike and his music -that came shining through. I know also (because he told me) that he felt the need to diffuse the sort of "what's this doing in a classical repertoire?" snobbishness among the type who typically attend pre-concert talks. As I sat down, a middle-aged woman, a complete stranger, leaned forward and whispered excitedly - "where did you get that T shirt?" Tee-hee!

Meanwhile, Matthew played them some sound bites to illustrate his musicological discussion - and basically charmed the pants off them.Then there was just time for a little milling in the foyer before the signal to enter the auditorium rang out..

My partner had intended to come, but couldn't, in the end, so I sat alone up in the dress circle..(I was ultimately very glad about that, and I'll tell you why a little further in..)

Anyway, the orchestra was warming up a little with the odd little tantalising whiff of some familiar ostinato or other..seductive it was..and more than a little bit exciting..

Then they were into the Mozart - gorgeous it was, but my mind kept running ahead to what was about to be played..

Then it was on. This was not, let me tell you, any direct version of Bedford's OTB. Based on it, definitely, but it was far, far more
energetic, with sumptuous dynamics and tender sections that brought more than a few in the hall to tears..

But I'm getting ahead of myself..

The first sound we heard was Windchimes..( windchimes?! ) yes, windchimes! Then THAT theme on, not violins, as in the Bedford, but on celeste, and possibly marimba, at least at first..soon all the familiar early themes burbled about together, but at the first climax, the emotional intensity was incredible - the climax was also satisfyingly, brutally percussive..and around about that time, I was struck by a rogue wave. (I mention that as a rather brilliant piece by Frank Robson on Freak and Rogue Waves appeared that morning in the Sydney Morning Herald - and I read it on the plane on the way over..) But my rogue wave was the reason I was glad - being a tough guy'n all - that I was sitting by myself. Tears of joy, love, happiness, whatever they were, they were falling hard - and I couldn't have spoken a word if I'd had to, to anyone. It was just so beautiful to hear that work, the one that started it all, played so well and handled so reverently - to hear its remarkable if episodic structure given such a treatment. I wan't the only one brought asunder, by the way. Most of us fans were ( hi Tracey! ) but I spoke afterwards to people who barely knew the piece to begin with, upon whom it had exactly the same effect.

Next freak wave for me was when was our mate Matthew - also head campanologist (bell ringer) at the Adelaide Town Hall - did his thing - which he'd worked on unbeknownst to most of us fans. Now you all know the section about two thirds of the way onto part one, where the whole mix fades away to leave just the tubular bell clanging away by itself (just before it comes back on an E minor chord to begin the final bolero-type section..)

So the orchestra subsides, and we watch the one of the orchestra's percussionists strike the last note on tubular bell on the stage and the orchestra fades to total silence when..(remembering we are in the TOWN HALL auditorium) - then blow me down, the town hall bell rings in an exactly tuned and timed response to the bells on stage - the ghost bell, I think it's called..echoing from the back and the top of the whole building - actually ringing out all over Adelaide's CBD - and seemingly ringing through the soul of everyone in     there...courtesy of that hard working koala Matthew Sorrell - who has set this up well in advance with the symphony administrator and the conductor. Everyone is TOTALLY enchanted ...

bang! freak wave for me - glad again I don't have to speak to anyone - because I can't..

Oh, it was just marvellous - there were slutty horns (thanks Michelle, for that sparkling turn of phrase and gorgeous layerings of things, and facets to TB that you knew had always been there but that had never sounded so fine..

Then the Bolero style finale...it was great watching the cello players coping with playing THAT bass figure for about 10 minutes straight..and my God, when the TUBULAR BELLS came in right at the very end, there were TWO sets - those E notes never sounded so fine!  It was sublime.

Then it was over, and the place went apeshit - and WE went apeshit when the conductor pointed the audience's attention up at Matthew - standing right at the back of the dress circle where the bell tower opens through a hatch into the auditorium  - a bit like a cuckoo clock. Oh lordy, what a night. Definitely one of the highlights of my concert going life - in fact, my life in general.

Thanks again to you Matthew - I know you put a lot of work in behind the scenes to make it what it was. And mate, it was sensational!

xxx to all

wolf

--------------
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2006, 01:07

Hi everyone

Well I'm not actually going to review the performance because I was so close to the organisation of it.  I did want to share that experience with all of you but I really couldn't at the time because the orchestra is a professional outfit and you'd have all got sick of it.

I will give you some idea of my involvement NOW though...

When I heard about the concert (months ago), I wrote to the orchestra pointing out that (a) I was a serious academic, not a nutter, (b) I was an enthusiastic fan of Mike Oldfield's music, and © I was also tower captain of the Adelaide Town Hall and wouldn't it be great if we could use the tower bells in the performance?

I had in-depth face to face discussions with the artistic administrator and the conductor (Ben Northey), and handed over to Ben spare copies of OTB, TB and videotapes of concerts (since I now have them on DVD).  I tried to stay hands off unless invited, partly to avoid making a nuisance of myself but also because if I wasn't involved (1) I wouldn't feel bad about it and (2) so that I would enjoy the show.

The next thing you know I was asked to write the concert notes. Then Ben flew over from Melbourne and we discussed using the bells, eventually settling on just the Ghost Bell. Finally, just a couple of weeks ago, the possibility of giving the pre-concert talk was mooted. But the latter two were not finalised until Tuesday at the rehearsal, where I was introduced as a "leading international authority on the music of Mike Oldfield".

Daunting as that introduction was, I'll make the point that this is probably not completely unjustified but I am sure there are many others on this list who could similarly claim a higher status.  I also want to point out that in the ten+ years I've been on this list, I've learned a lot from everybody else.  So it would be fair to say that the advice I gave the orchestra and conductor was a distillation of material from all of you on Amarok, and I thank you. ( note from TubularBelle, reference to Amarok Mailing List. )

I rang a handbell at the studio on Tuesday; the decision to go ahead with the Ghost Bell wasn't confirmed until Thursday morning at the full rehearsal, when we discovered that it really did work.

OK, a couple of other things.  The concert WAS RECORDED.  The Friday night concert was recorded by the ABC and will be broadcast in November. However, DAVID BEDFORD has requested a copy and he will be sent one as soon as it can be arranged.  I will see what I can do for everyone else. I want to acknowledge David's helpfulness in preparing the pre-concert talk. Jeff Gower forwarded my email with a few queries to him, and he was kind enough to respond personally. Here's what David had to say (my notes with prompts)...

David joined Kevin Ayers and the Whole World in order to develop his understanding and appreciation of the new sounds emerging in rock/pop music. It was actually more by accident than design - the manager of Soft Machine had heard some of my arrangements for a chanteuse and asked me to do some arranging on Kevin's first solo LP Joy of a Toy. Since this involved some keyboards it was a natural progression for me to be asked to join the band. Mike joined after being auditioned by Kevin. It's true that my classical colleagues were in the main rather snobbish about my involvement.

This is an illustration of his broad mindedness at a time when the conservative classical establishment was not interested in the new music, as evidenced for example by the reservation of good quality vinyl for classical LPs while pop albums were often pressed using recycled scraps. David was a major influence in Mike Oldfield's personal musical development, acting as much as a teacher/mentor as a friend.

Yes we had long chats about music in our Ford Transit during journeys to and from gigs. I gave him suggetions for listening, ranging from Delius to Terry Riley and Stravisky and Carl Orff. His orchestral arrangement of Tubular Bells served several purposes, all of them a form of musical education, but chiefly to show to the classical world that modern music was valid/meritorious as "real" music. It was not really an attempt to popularise classical music through the arrangement of rock music (cf contemporary arrangements of the Beatles, Abba, Pink Floyd et al) for a "pop" audience. In this regard he was a radical - just as ELP had brought classical music (esp Pictures at an Exhibition) to a modern/progressive audience, so Bedford brought progressive rock to the attention of the conservative classical establishment, using Tubular Bells as his particular tool and following this through with subsequent collaboration with Oldfield and later with others.

I think you're giving me too much credit. The main reason for orchestrating TB was that Richard Bransom offered me a large fee! Although a lot of your remarks above are also true.

If you happen to be in contact with David, please pass on my admiration for his work.  If he is interested in the conductor's comments on the small changes he intends to make to the arrangement I would be happy to pass them on.

Thanks for your kind remarks, feel free to make any changes you fell are required. it's not sacrosanct, indeed I would probably make changes if I were to revise the orchestration.

In particular, the tolling bell which occurs before the finale (arranged on brass by Bedford) will be a form of spatial displacement for the audience, as that bell will be heard from the belltower at the front of the building (the back of the auditorium).

I hope the performance is a great success. Incidentally, if you have any contacts with choirs, my most recently completed project has been to arrange 4 Beach Boys songs for chorus, recently performed with great success at a Music Camp. it was a classical choir and they couldn't believe how good the music was - especially 'God Only Knows'!

David also sent us the following message on Saturday:

"Heartiest greetings to all of you at the Tubular Bells convention!

It's been a part of my musical life for more than 30 years and it's
great that people still appreciate it.

All best wishes for a succesful and enjoyable convention.

Warmest regards

David Bedford"

I'll post my concert notes shortly.

Matthew

--------------
Profile PM 
60 replies since Sep. 17 2006, 06:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net