Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Favourite Instrumental Music, stuff you like< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Dirk Star Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 12 2008, 09:10

Kind of on the back of Olivier`s classical thread.I thought it might be quite nice to have a thread with peoples favourite instrumental albums in general aside from Mike of course.I`ve tried to think of maybe a few albums other Oldfield fans might like here.But given Mike`s breaking of divisions and boundaries anyway I guess you could  pretty much post what you like in here from your own list of personal instrumental faves.Classical/jazz/rock/ambient techno funk,"let the flavours flood out".To mis-quote an old English tea bag advert.Which in the case of Mr Oldfield is a fairly apt description methinks.I`m guesing this kind of thing may have been done in the past before,but it might be quite interesting to start a new one anyway.

Virginia Astley...From Gardens Where We Feel Secure..This album is kind of like the music to an English summer`s day.Moving from morning through to nightfall it somehow manages to be both beautifully becalming and haunting at the very same time.Virginia is a classicaly trained musician but keeps the interwoven themes very simplistic here using mainly piano and woodwind.Lightly sprinkled with tapes of peeling church bells,bird song,and even a rusty old gate.This album always reminds me of parts of Hergest Ridge in miniature.Still one of my all time favourites..

Vangelis...Soil Festivities..I`ve got tons of Vangelis albums but this one still stands head and shoulders above them all for me.The first time I heard this album I thought there`s no way I`m gonna` be able to put up with that Laurie Anderson type signature going right the way through Movement One.But man was I wrong about that.Probablly best described as an electronic symphonic tone-poem I suppose,but that does`nt even begin to do justice to it.Emotionally affecting and mesmerising is maybe a better place to start.

Concert Program...Penguin Cafe Orchestra..I actually resisted buying this double album for a number of years because I pretty much already owned everything on it from their studio albums anyway.However most of the versions recorded live in the studio here managed to shed not only new light in old windows to coin a phrase.But I think a lot of them are pretty much definitive versions as well for me.I can`t speak highly enough of the late Simon Jeffes work with this outfit as I think he`s a very under-rated and groundbreaking composer myself.Sure a lot of his stuff is very simplistic and easy on the ear,but maybe that was part of the "problem" anyway if there was one.Simply beautiful.

Martyn Bennett....Hardland..For some reason when this guy first came to my attention I thought he was going to be absolutely massive.A multi-instrumentalist crossing over boundaries of dance folk and world music with such irrerverant individual ease what the hell is the matter with people I foolishly thought.In retrospect for a lot of people he was probablly too dance orientated for the folk purists,and too far outside the box for the dance crowd.Added to that I don`t think he was ever really promoted in the right way either.Sadly after five superb albums(of which this one is probablly my favourite although no easy choice)Martyn passed away at the age of just 31 following a long battle with cancer.For anybody out there who likes a bit of Chemical Brothers or Orbital/Underworld etc you are seriously missing out imo if you have`nt checked this guy out yet.The future sound of Gaeldom they called it for a while.But this man was something else,fantastic stuff...

Ok that`ll do for now.will maybe jot a few more down later when I get the chance..   :)
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 12 2008, 12:28

Pat Metheny, Steve Hackett, Anthony Phillips, Tangerine Dream.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 12 2008, 12:46

Quote (Scatterplot @ April 12 2008, 12:28)
Pat Metheny, Steve Hackett, Anthony Phillips, Tangerine Dream.

Pat Metheny is someone who`s stuff I quite like there,even if he does fall into that easy listening bracket a little bit sometimes.And then just when I thought he was starting too play it a little too safe he went and recorded Zero Tolerance For Silence. :O Amazing guitar player though,was a big fan of his "Wichita Falls" album that he put out with Lyle Mays in the early 80`s.

Have you read he`s views on a certain Kenny G that I stumbled upon myself recently.The guy does`nt pull any punches that`s for sure.

Pat On Kenny

I`ve kind of lost touch with Tangerine Dream since the mid-80`s for one reason or another.Although I used to love albums like Tangram and White Eagle,so they`re maybe somebody I should re-investigate a little bit?
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 12 2008, 13:16

It should be clear that Amarok is my favourite instrumental album ever, but taking that one out of the way, there are several albums that rank very, very high in my book.

Ultravisitor, Squarepusher: this album serves as a kind of "curriculum vitæ" for Tom Jenkinson, with almost everything he did until then gathered into a single suite. It's fantastic: insane bursts of organised chaos blurring (wiping out?) the limit between music and noise, frenzied yet jaw-droppingly gorgeous free jazz, classical guitar and drill 'n' bass in constant succession. Jenkinson sometimes seems to truly test your patience, but that's part of what makes the experience so rewarding in the end.

EP+6, Mogwai: even though Mogwai Young Team is my favourite Mogwai record, this one is their most interesting, in my opinion: a compilation of their 3 EPs which I always listen to in reverse chronological order. Mostly repetitive, cyclical, dynamic and organic instrumental rock, culminating in the 10 minute long noise ending of Stereodee, one of the most fantastic things in my collection.

Untilted, Autechre: electronic music pushed way beyond the conceivable limits of rhythm and tonality, adventurous without being abusive.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 12 2008, 15:17

When I was young, I couldn't listen to lyrics, I'm not kidding. Really weird. Progressively I started to listen to bands with long instrumental sections like Pink Floyd, and now I'm fine with lyrics, except for classical operas.

Ommadawn part 1 finale, Amarok, Tubular Bells 2003, Only Time will Tell, Ascension

Classical piano concertos, almost by any composer, it's the magic formula that works for me.

Vangelis (very high on my favorite tracks ever is Pinta, Nina, Santa Maria from 1492)

David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)'s solos (but not those on his solo albums), Pink Floyd's Shine On and Echoes (not entirely instrumental)

Ennio Morricone Chi Mai, Le vent, le cri he uses strings in a different way than others

Supertramp keyboard solos, Child of vision, School, Crime of the century - the best to mix 2 keyboards + wah-wah guitar

Lindsey Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac)'s solos: I'm so afraid, Get your own way (he's amazing, he can play with almost only one note)

Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits) when it's not too country (he is the best to mix piano and guitar)

Chris Rea's instrumentals (unboring old fashioned blues kind of music)

Keith Jarrett's Radiance not too jazzy

"Classic Modern Soundtracks" (David Arnold's James Bond stuff is very cool, a lot of Hans Zimmer, Howard Shore, John Powell's Bourne Supermacy is incredible, I'd love to see John Williams explore outside the orchestra, his "sound" is kind of boring)

I think I'm realizing I don't like a lot things that are pure blues or pure jazz or pure wathever.

(add "in my opinion" to all sentences above...)
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: April 12 2008, 15:38

Phew, I really wouldn't want to be in Kenny G's pants, Pat really crushed him quite thoroughly. Ofcourse Mr.G's music is awful though. I remember Kenny G worked with Lee Ritenour on some album. If Metheny feels the same way about Ritenour, I welcome him to suck my balls.  :cool:
Now that I mentioned Ritenour, I must say he's one of my favourites. Although I call Ritenour 'cheese jazz', it is great. Jazz is often described with words like technical, rhythmic, inventive, maybe even genius - but seldom beautiful. At least it doesn't often sound like that, but it's an element Ritenour brings to jazz, maybe because of his classical training.
I listen to lot of jazz. Other great jazz musicians would be Al Di Meola (especially lately), Edward Vesala and Pekka Pohjola, just to mention a few.
Today I've listened to a Pohjola compilation New Impressionist, simply astounding.
Could go on and on forever. There are several folk bands I adore, The Chieftains being the best at the moment. And OMG the classical masters! Right now I don't feel up to listing more.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: April 12 2008, 15:54

Quote (Olivier @ April 12 2008, 21:17)
David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)'s solos (but not those on his solo albums), Pink Floyd's Shine On and Echoes (not entirely instrumental)

Ennio Morricone Chi Mai, Le vent, le cri he uses strings in a different way than others

Yes yes yes. The solo on Time is just otherworldly. Talk about the music!

And Morricone. The Good Bad And The Ugly. Need I say more.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 12 2008, 16:58

Kenny G sux. Yeah he's technically profficient, but he bores the hell out of me. In my experience, he appeals to women more.......
Pat Metheny I like best with "the Group". By himself doing pure jazz with old timer guys playing too much random horn is like watching flies mate. Gotta have Lyle. And the best ones had Pedro Aznar(I was lucky enough to the PM group with Aznar in '90. It was more like a Pink Floyd show. Fog generators, midi controlled lights, the whole ball 'o wax. Melrose was Tangerine Dreams best. More high tech than their 70's stuph. That's one to hope for in your X-mas tree stocking. Today is Eddy's birthday(my avatar). One YO.
Jimbo

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: April 12 2008, 17:09

Happy birthday to Eddy! He is white and cute, just like my cat Boris. And yes.. Kenny G seriously sucks balls.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 12 2008, 18:12

I'm a huge TD fan.  I love it all... the early experimental work, the later "Miami Vice"-type work... all of it.  In fact, I would stack "Force Majeure" or "Tangram" against anyone else's TD picks.

But in keeping with the topic title (and feeling the inclusion of any vocals would be cheating), my favorite would be Larry Fast's first Synergy album, "Electronic Realizations For Rock Orchestra".  Back in 1975 no one else came close to showing the world what synths could do given enough patience and talent-though it's not just the synths that make it fantastic.  It was enough to blow the 14-year-old mind of this listener.  It sounded like the future.  I couldn't begin to count how many time I would fall asleep with the record playing over and over, dreaming of what that future would be like...
Profile PM 
Tayniee Offline

Posted: April 12 2008, 18:20

Come on Bassman loosen up a bit, come to the other thread and tell us what your favourite MO cds are.

And don't tell me I'm being rude.  ;)

--------------
As we all know, endings are just beginnings.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 12 2008, 18:32

I will, but I can't remember which thread that was!    :D
Profile PM 
Tayniee Offline

Posted: April 12 2008, 18:40

Yes you do, general discussion, 'in order'.

We want to know.  :)

--------------
As we all know, endings are just beginnings.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 13 2008, 08:34

When I think of non-Mike instrumental albums, I can't go past Steve Howe's Natural Timbre. It's a strictly acoustic album, and contains some of the finest guitar work I've ever heard. Steve Howe stands out as my second favourite guitarist, behind Mike of course!

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 13 2008, 09:25

[quote=Sir Mustapha,April 12 2008, 13:16][/quote]
EP+6, Mogwai: even though Mogwai Young Team is my favourite Mogwai record, this one is their most interesting, in my opinion: a compilation of their 3 EPs which I always listen to in reverse chronological order. Mostly repetitive, cyclical, dynamic and organic instrumental rock, culminating in the 10 minute long noise ending of Stereodee, one of the most fantastic things in my collection.

I`ve got a big folder of Mogwai albums on a dvd a friend gave to me after I`d introduced him to Explosions In The Sky.I`m pretty sure both those albums you mention are in there from memory.I have`nt given them a fair listen yet though,but my friend keeps banging onto me to "get it on your hi-fi man it`s awesome stuff." So I`m definetly gonna`have to check those guys out.The little bits I have heard of them I`ve liked though,can`t help but love some of those impenetrable riffs they come out with.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 13 2008, 12:31

And Steve Howe likes Gibson ES-335. I love mine but I'm still lookin' forward to my Les Paul(prob. by mid May). I auditioned 4 LP Epi's about 5 years ago for a week each, kept takin' 'em back cuz I really wanted a real Gibson. They sounded/played fine tho......But I wanted a wine red ES-335 with bigsby tremelo, just cuz Justin Hayward had one. Too bad I can't list Moody Blues in this thread....WTF, I just did.....but they didn't do instrumental albums. But that red ES-335 was behind some fine -almost- Oldfield-ish licks. Since he pre-dated MO, I wonder if MO liked him. Did they ever have a beer together? Or were they just competitors in the same biz  who ignored each other? Any stories there?
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 13 2008, 13:30

Raven, having my interest peaked at Steve Howe now, I went and procured his 2005 album "Spectrum". Very good. I listened to the first 3 tracks of 15(I'm not made out of time!;), and this was fine instrumental music. There was a lot of Yes in there(which is good), but it was his album. I'll look for the acoustic one you named. Buy this one if y'all(that there is Texas talk, not that I'm proud of it) if you really  like art-rock.
Jimbo

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 13 2008, 13:36

Quote (Dirk Star @ April 13 2008, 09:25)
I`ve got a big folder of Mogwai albums on a dvd a friend gave to me after I`d introduced him to Explosions In The Sky.I`m pretty sure both those albums you mention are in there from memory.I have`nt given them a fair listen yet though,but my friend keeps banging onto me to "get it on your hi-fi man it`s awesome stuff." So I`m definetly gonna`have to check those guys out.The little bits I have heard of them I`ve liked though,can`t help but love some of those impenetrable riffs they come out with.

If you plan on listening to them on a big hi-fi, I'd advise you to stay close to the volume knob at all times. :) They have absolutely no fear of switching from barely audible to absurdly loud in less than a bar, and when you feel there's an onslaught of noise coming up, you'd better be damn sure it IS coming. You can always start with their milder albums, like Mr. Beast and Happy Songs for Happy People, which are still very representative. Mogwai Young Team and EP+6 are among their most unwelcoming, and thus their most rewarding. And please make sure to listen to New Paths to Helicon part 1 eventually - it's one of the most gorgeous things ever written in rock music.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 13 2008, 18:41

Apart from the big three - i.e. Mike O., JMJ and Vangelis, I like quite a bit of New Age stuff. People like Andreas Vollenweider, Kitaro, Wim Mertens, George Winston. But there are various other genres of instrumental music  I like. Here's a small sampling...

- Rock: the guitar monsters, Satriani, Vai, Michael Angelo Batio; a nice group that's now pretty much dissolved, called Billy Mahonie; and or course, although they're not strictly instrumental, Sigur Rós.

- Jazz: Dave Brubeck, Stan Getz - especially his very latest things with Kenny Garrett, Pat Metheny, Richard Galliano (that's jazz, ain't it? :D).

- Classical: I've already listed them elsewhere, I think. However, it's Mozart and Chopin on top of all, with Beethoven coming straight after those.

- Pop: "instrumental pop" is quite hard to define, ain't it? :p But I love many of Moby's instrumentals, IMHO they're much better than his songs - and they may definitely be labeled as "instrumental pop". :D

Apart from all this, I always love it when a group that's not normally well-known for doing instrumentals actually does one. To a lot of people I know, "Lake Shore Driving" is the worst track on Duran Duran's Big Thing album. To me, it's one of the 2-3 absolute best tracks off that record. ;) Same goes for "Shotgun", from The Wedding Album.

P.S.: About the Kenny G & Louis Armstrong thing - I can't exactly say I'm a fan of Kenny G [indeed, most of his stuff, although very tuneful and musically nice, bores the heck out of me!], but to me all of Metheny's outburst over the "What a wonderful world" pseudo-duet - after having heard it, of course - is largely unjustified and disproportionated. What Mr. G did, i.e. overdubbing an old recording with a new part, is so very common throughout all genres of music - in Italy they do it all the time! - that it has no reason at all, I think, to be considered disrespectful of the original, whatever the original is. Just to quote another example, I could never have imagined that Elvis Presley fans would like Céline Dion. Yet their recent "If I can dream" virtual duet received lots and lots of appreciation even from die-hard Elvis fans...

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 13 2008, 19:08

Thanks for the advice Sir M,I`ll keep that all in mind.Luckily for me I`ve got good neighbours here who don`t mind a bit of musical "din" at a reasonable hour.I`ll just have to get myself prepared as well.

Ugo,Billy Mahonie is a good shout there,I`ve got an album of theirs called The Big Dig which I`ve always really enjoyed listening to.I`ve never been able to find anything else by them unfortunatly,on the odd time that I`ve remembered to have a look instore.How many more albums have they done? Have to say if they`re anything like The Big Dig I`d be more than curious to track one or two of them down some time.
Profile PM 
45 replies since April 12 2008, 09:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net