Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Wednesday, An Oldfield inspired track....< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
equinoxe_uk Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 18 2004, 21:32

Hello all,

I thought I'd share a track of mine from a university project that I've done. Heavily inspired (and obviously ripped off in parts) by Mike, the track is from a concept album I've done.
          The basis for the track is the roll call from 'The bell' and an original composition by myself. Anyway, have fun listening to it, any opinions and feedback would be appreciated... (The composition helped me get my degree so it can't be that bad!;)

The instruments played are: Yamaha folk guitar, Cort bass guitar, Sampletank XL 2, flute, Toy glockenspiel (Thanks to The early learning center), Mandolin, Steinway Grand Piano, Jew's Harp, electric Guitar, Behringer V Amp Pro, Female vocalist, Sabian percussion..... and tubular bells.....

http://www.equinoxestudios.co.uk/wednesday.zip
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 18 2004, 22:35

dude....WHOA. That's one nice piece of music you have there. The world needs more great music like this. I applaud and salute you.

Aside from the instrument introducing, I didn't notice anything ripped off (or even remotely sounding anything like) Mike Oldfield in there either. My only gripe would be that the drums at the end aren't perfectly in time with the rest of the music. But that's it. Some personal options of mine would be to add tons of reverb to the drums and add a screaming lead guitar over the end at the climax. But that's just personal opinion. ;)

Overall, absolutely wonderful. The climax is my favourite. Thank you again.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Dec. 18 2004, 23:31

Wonderful! I'd love to hear anything else you have available.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Yuval Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Dec. 19 2004, 03:57

Hey! Nice track
Good to know im not the only one keep on posting tracks here.
I especially liked the ending part.
The instrument introductions seems to frequent- maybe only becuase im used to the TB longer frazr and i need to get used to it.
Like the rest- i'd love to hear more music from u.
Good luck
UV
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Dec. 19 2004, 08:21

Yes, this is a wonderful piece! :)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Luca Offline

Posted: Dec. 19 2004, 10:08

Hah! nice one! this is great!   :)  :)
Profile PM 
Amarok
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 20 2004, 18:17

This is great!!!
How do you record this?
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2004, 05:29

Very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very nice. :)
Congrats.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Daddybird Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2004, 09:15

Oh my god, this is incredible!
If someone said this is Mike I'd believe them.
Congrats, this is absolutely great.

Can you tell me how you made it? Recording etc?
Profile PM 
bevy Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2004, 09:20

nice m8. well done
Profile PM 
equinoxe_uk Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2005, 23:32

Right, I'll finally get round to telling people who are interested how this track was made -

All recorded, sequenced and produced in Cubase SX, Mastered using oZone in Cool Edit

The acoustic at the beginning is (obviously) sampled, but most other instruments are real. The strings and flute are a VSTi.

I played the bass, acoustic guitar, Toy Glockenspiel (Cost me a tenner from the early learning center, not chromatic so I had to play the melody out of tune and digitally pitch shift it), Grand Piano, Jew's Harp, Tubular Bells, Percussion, some Vocals and keyboards and I got a few friends in for some other parts such as the mandolin, drums and female vox.

The guitars and mandolin were recorded using a Shure SM-57 next to the hole with an AKG C-1000S around the middle of the fretboard. The Glockenspiel, vocals and jews harp were all recorded using a Soundking Tube mic and the Grand Piano was done using 2x AKG C-3000's and a PZM.

The cymbals were recorded using a C-1000S. I used a 14 inch China and a 16 inch rock Crash.

The bells were originally played using 2 sets of wind chimes that I tuned to form a rudimentary rack of Tubular Bells. The longest chime is around 4 feet long and the shortest about 10 inches. I used a C-1000S above the bells and an SM-57 below the bells at an angle. I used the recordings to make samples that I used in the final version, just to get more higher harmonics. Coupled with some chorus and reverb they sound perfect!

That's about it really for the track - I'll post it back on my site for people to download again should they wish!
Profile PM 
10 replies since Dec. 18 2004, 21:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net