Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Windows Vista, Oh the joy !!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
3Wheeler Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 22 2007, 04:07

I just got a New PC Last Week after 7 years on Windows98 and have upgraded to this new Fangled "Vista" ..Apart from a few Hitches like losing my old username on here RIP "Deadcalm"  :D and getting the thing running to my satisfaction Ive got to admit I like the new Set up...Got to download my MO Albums on to the Media player today which is pretty cool compared to the old version.. Any one else got this thing installed yet and any Comments or Tips on it?? :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2007, 02:10

I'm running XP. I'd heard vague rumors of problems with VISTA, but  that's the case with every new OP, I think. I'm sorry for the loss of 'Deadcalm', but I guess usernames and WINDOWS aren't so different from each other - out with the old, in with the new.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2007, 08:22

I've never tried Vista,but I'm waiting for a while to change here.The sounds of Vista were created by the great Robert Fripp of King Crimson!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2007, 08:56

*sighs*

I used to work for a ISP customer service. Vista was a nightmare of a call. Personally i think its a terrible OS, we went through hell with trying to make it work properly connecting online. Although this was on its first release, i still dislike it for the fact it is a complete forgery of Mac OSX.

I'm a user of macintosh, and i personally dislike windows generally, but vista to me, is a very over simplified, and very glitchy operating system.

Don't get me wrong, i also have a windows XP machine here. But vista is in its early days, and in typical microsoft fashion, it will have lots of service pack releases before its useable.

(Another good note about vista... I worked in a radio station over the last few months, and they were sponsored by Dell, who gave us 7 new Desktops runing Vista. the radio station was due to go on air on 20th july online, and streamed to a fm transmitter a few buildings away. We spent 3 weeks trying to fix our problem for not being able to transmit. and after calling out technicians to the network cablings, and everything, I decided to plug in a freinds windows XP laptop that was sitting nearby. and it worked.)

We called out professionals to fix the issue too, and teh whole time it was the windows vista computers causing the issue. Turns out it liked to austomatically determine the connections even based on its cache. (as in, we pinged our router, got all packets back. then unplugged the router, pinged it again, and got all hosts back....

No-one could fingure it out. - neither could dell. 7 machines! all the same!

Terrible OS...

I must ask though 3wheeler/deadcalm.. how did changing computers lose your tubular.net online username? sureley you should be able to log in with any computer.
:/

sorry for the moan... ive just had too many problems with windows.

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 25 2007, 09:30

Quote (jonnyw @ Aug. 25 2007, 22:56)
Don't get me wrong, i also have a windows XP machine here. But vista is in its early days, and in typical microsoft fashion, it will have lots of service pack releases before its useable.

I totally agree.  The advice I give to everyone I know is to avoid Vista until SP1.  Unfortunately, some people want or need to buy new PCs before then.

We spent a lot of money getting PCs before Vista arrived, because we knew it would cause problems.  Sooner or later we'll give it a try, but XP is absolutely fine for our needs, so we're staying put for the time being.

Microsoft needs to realise that "big bang" releases are high risk and high cost to them and to us.  Although considering it took 5 years for Vista to come out after XP, maybe they will learn this time.  We'll see.

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2007, 10:09

Quote (jonnyw @ Aug. 25 2007, 08:56)
I must ask though 3wheeler/deadcalm.. how did changing computers lose your tubular.net online username? sureley you should be able to log in with any computer.
:/

sorry for the moan... ive just had too many problems with windows.

When I changed Comps which i really needed to do as the old one was becoming antique!! I decided to change all my "EMail" addresses to put the Spammers off my scent for a Month or two Hopefully!! :D .. I picked up the first EMail address that came to mind ie a new one on "jubii" and started using it.. It was a bit sticky and bounced a few E Mails back to People... I used it on here to redress my contact details.. But the Site wouldnt accept the address for some reason then wouldnt let me sign back in using my old Name .. So Hence I had to register the whole thing using a Yahoo Address to make it accept..So I guess anyone changing details on here just be a tad watchfull...  On the Vista Aspect.So far ive had no big "Dramas yet" Apart from the Media Player not playing one of my enhanced  Videos on a Single CD I have..  I think most of the Bad Stories ive Heard are from people trying to Upgrade there existing XP up to Vista with a Update CD...It seems Ok  but hey im no Expert lol :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 25 2007, 11:41

Hmm...all you need is your username and password and it should let you in. If there's a problem with the password, you can get a reminder sent to you by the forum software and, if that doesn't work for any reason (like you having registered from an address which is no longer active), you can contact us and we'll change the password for you (as long as the story's believable - obviously we're only going to do it if we're sure it's you). We can also change details like the email address for you if there's a problem with it. It seemed to accept your jubii address fine when I tried entering it into the details for your old account, so it may have just been a momentary hiccup...or maybe it complies better with me because it knows I'll get Olivier to thrash it to within a few bytes of its life if it doesn't.
Profile PM 
oney Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2007, 18:57

vista is a nightmare don't touch with two barge poles tied at the end to each other i put xp back onto my laptop and saddly still have vista ultimate ( ultimate s**t) on my desktop it is 64bit version and what a waste of time no wireless net work no printer driver no connection out of home network argggghhhhhhh !!!!!!!!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 25 2007, 19:50

Quote (jonnyw @ Aug. 25 2007, 08:56)
I used to work for a ISP customer service. Vista was a nightmare of a call. Personally i think its a terrible OS, we went through hell with trying to make it work properly connecting online. Although this was on its first release, i still dislike it for the fact it is a complete forgery of Mac OSX.

One of my workmates saw Vista as a blatant, obvious copies of recent Linux distributions. I used very little Linux in my life, but I don't doubt him. Some machines with Vista arrived on my workplace this month. I've only heard negative remarks about it., and they are brand new machines with Vista installed from scratch - not updated. I'm staying the hell away from it, at least for now.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2007, 20:30

Good man, Yes, its following a lot on some Linux OS's  -

try a mac and youll realise how much it copies that too. - Mac has had "Widgets" for years - helpful little tools such as clocks, convertors (currency and other), CPU useage etc...

Vista is realised with "Gadgets" that look pretty much identical...

"Widgets?" "Gadgets?!"

I love this guys sarcasm :D

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=MDNuq94Zg_8

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
9 replies since Aug. 22 2007, 04:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net