Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: mikeoldfield.com: poor website...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
jeremyroberts Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 11 2005, 09:28

"the proposed artwork for the album is not finished"... hum...

I'm sure it will stay like this when the album is released.

By the way, the content of mikeoldfield.com is very poor. Very, very poor. Just my opinion. His music deserves something better.
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2005, 09:31

True, an abominably uninspired site it be.....  ;)

They better get some MP3s up there soon!

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2005, 10:42

Send your suggestions to improve MO.com to Fanny Oldfield,who is the webmaster of the side at webmaster@mikeoldfield.com

Sometime ago I sent her my suggestions and she was fine :D

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
ubik210486 Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2005, 11:43

I agree with you at all.
The content of the website is horrible, much better are mikeoldfield.org or mikeoldfield.es.vg
Profile PM 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2005, 11:44

By the way I hadn't seen the artwork yet... as I thought it was not finished...

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B000B7HY9M.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2005, 12:41

I believe that this site is made mainly for releasing the LATEST info conserning Mike s work. And since its an  officcial site it features no rumours or stuff that has not been confirmed. could be wrong, but like the artwork.
Profile PM 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2005, 12:54

Quote (Harmono @ Sep. 11 2005, 12:41)
I believe that this site is made mainly for releasing the LATEST info conserning Mike s work. And since its an  officcial site it features no rumours or stuff that has not been confirmed. could be wrong, but like the artwork.

haha! releasing the latest info but still telling that the artwork is not finished...

What I would like to find for example is: the complete credits and tracklisting of all the albums, with some statistics for example, information about DVDs (the website ignores them completely), photo galleries (with old pictures as well, for example from old concerts, etc.)...

There are so many things that can be done on a website. By the way I personally don't give a f*cking d@mn about f*cking rumours, that's really not what I was thinking about.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2005, 13:35

I agree that MO.com as a website is pretty uninspiring but that's the way most of these things have always been with Mike. He's obviously just not someone who's that interested in having amazing video's, amazing album covers, amazing websites etc. He's never been that renowned for giving anything other than his music the fullest of attention (and not always that), It's a bit of a shame really.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2005, 20:41

Quote (jeremyroberts @ Sep. 11 2005, 12:54)
By the way I personally don't give a f*cking d@mn about f*cking rumours, that's really not what I was thinking about.

Did you forget your chill pill today Jeremy?

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2005, 06:47

Quote (TubularBelle @ Sep. 11 2005, 20:41)
Quote (jeremyroberts @ Sep. 11 2005, 12:54)
By the way I personally don't give a f*cking d@mn about f*cking rumours, that's really not what I was thinking about.

Did you forget your chill pill today Jeremy?

No I'm just waiting for some crappy "chill out" music  :D  lol
Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 04:51

... and STILL nothing in the way of  MP3 sound samples or cover design... and its less than a fortnight till the release.

it's almost as if the .com website is not bothered about promoting the album.
Profile PM 

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 08:00

Maybe Fanny is busy with a lot of personal affairs or waiting for an official OK from Mercury to put the MP3 on line as well as the cover.

I've seen some cases that the cover was changed 1 week before the release of an album,since the artist didn't like it the way it was.

About the site,I think that the contents we find @ Dark Star fufills what MO.com should have put online in a certain way,but for beginners,the only thing they've got is the fans sites like this one which brings them all the info they want about Mike.

I wish MO.com were a better site and a great door for beginners as well as the old fans.But the problem is,is Fanny and Mike interested on that,the answer we all know and I wish they can be more open to new ideas like Mike is doing with his music. I remember once sending some suggestions to MO.com and some of them were accepted,which shows off that it's not impossible.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 15:59

It's better than it was. Does anyone else remember the atrocious first official Mike Oldfield website to promote "Sonic VR" (as Music VR was called)?

The link buttons actually skated all over the screen and you had to chase them. At this point, I cannot recall a worse website.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 16 2005, 03:33

Not everyone can do a decent web site.  If they don't have the time or inclination to do it properly, perhaps they should pay someone else to do it.

Although I agree with some of the comments made here, I'd like to know what people consider to be a "good" web site.  What annoys me about Mike's web site is that it's too wide for the page and the main content area requires you to scroll down a lot - look at the description of Light and Shade to see what I mean.  The graphic at the top is very big and not very useful.

I think the best way to improve the web site would be to have a look at some of the following sites:
http://www.zeldman.com/dwws/
http://www.glish.com/css/
http://www.csszengarden.com/

and many, many more.  I could do without the somewhat gratuitous use of Flash for a start.

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2005, 08:07

I agree -- the use of Flash is unnecessary and all it really does is making the navigation more difficult. While the design itself isn't bad (that's a huge compliment coming from me ;), the usability is less than average and the content is rather poor for a musician with more than 30 years' career. Surely there is more to publish? How about an extensive gallery? Samples of older and newer work? Articles? A working forum?

Thing is, most artist websites are owned by record labels. So you get loads of flashy animations and barely any content, because they prefer to spend $ on the website once and never have to update it. I think artists should hire fans to do their websites; look at bjork.com for instance. But even then the fan wouldn't be able to post "un-approved" news and as a result you'd get exactly what you have at mikeoldfield.com: "the artwork for the album is not finished".

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2005, 08:27

Quote (Moz @ Sep. 16 2005, 03:33)
I think the best way to improve the web site would be to have a look at some of the following sites:

Those aren't very good examples. The Zeldman one has an area of a green background with slightly darker green text (not very readable) The Csszen is even worse: look at the area on the right where they decided to have the headers (archive, etc) have no contrast with the background. Blunders like this are too common. The second site, glish, is well done.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 

Posted: Sep. 16 2005, 08:28

A forum didn't work in the past and it caused a lot of troubles for Mike regarding some annoying fans.

And if he wanted to hire a fan(or a group of fans - eg: Dark Star) to take care of his official webbie,he would have done it.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 16 2005, 18:23

Quote (hiawatha @ Sep. 16 2005, 13:27)
Quote (Moz @ Sep. 16 2005, 03:33)

Those aren't very good examples. The Zeldman one has an area of a green background with slightly darker green text (not very readable) The Csszen is even worse: look at the area on the right where they decided to have the headers (archive, etc) have no contrast with the background. Blunders like this are too common. The second site, glish, is well done.

What I meant was, look at those sites for information on the subject of web design.  Never mind the design of the sites themselves.  I'm more interested in their content. http://www.alistapart.com is another useful one.

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2005, 04:33

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Sep. 16 2005, 08:28)
And if he wanted to hire a fan(or a group of fans - eg: Dark Star) to take care of his official webbie,he would have done it.

Of course. Why he didn't isn't a question I could answer, really.

bjork.com is taken care of by a fan, so is petshopboys.co.uk. The difference is, bjork.com is Meester Fly's work from beginning to an end (as far as I know) and psb.co.uk was designed (very poorly) by Mark Farrow, which causes a lot of grief to both the fans and Bill who has to work on it. vega.net (Suzanne Vega) was also done by a fan, but that was an example of doing more harm than good. Another example of a great website for a band done by a fan is depechemode.com -- I spent hours reading stuff in the "Archives", articles, interviews, etc., there are samples of more or less everything they have done, there are specials for everything featuring loads of photographs, banners, avatars, simply everything.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
mink stoles Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2005, 06:25

I agree that site is really bad.  However it does have one redeeming feature - the little blip noises when you move the mouse over a button, truly brilliant!

--------------
So if you you feel a little glum,
To Hergest Ridge you should come.
Profile PM 
35 replies since Sep. 11 2005, 09:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net