Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I'm gonna find out where you fans really stand..., COMPLETELY JOKEY TOPIC< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 22 2003, 07:45

EVERYTHING THAT FOLLOWS IS MEANT AS A JOKE.

So, to all the people I mention, and who know who they are: please don't insult me.

[JOKEY SECTION STARTS HERE :)]

This board is for Mike Oldfield fans, right? Yet there are some people who write in it who are NOT really MO fans.

Real MO fans:

- People like Wanderer and me. :D

Non-real MO fans:

- People who say 'I am a MO fan' and then they rate Tres Lunas as 1.

- People who say 'I am a MO fan' and then they say that they completely dislike Tres Lunas. It's impossible for a MO fan not to like at least one track.

- People who say 'I am a MO fan' and then they say that Earth Moving is the worst album he's ever done. Maybe they don't realize what album 'Far country' and 'See the light' are on.

- People who say 'I am a MO fan' and then they complain about Mike doing Tubular Bells over and over again. If they are fans of Mike Oldfield, and not just of some of his albums, they ought to praise him for what he does.

- All the other ones who don't know what being a 'fan' means. :)

And finally, there are a bunch of people (I don't know if anyone of those writes here), who say they're not MO fans and then they have bought, downloaded or in any other way acquired every single thing he's ever done, including very rare items. Come on... don't tell me that being a Mike Oldfield collector is not the same thing as being a Mike Oldfield fan because I don't believe it. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Tieò_mesaèného_svitu Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2003, 14:37

Well, Ugo, according to this I'm a fan.

1. I consider all albums (including the 80's pop albums, The Millennium Bell and Tres Lunas) to be equally good. It is the reason why I haven't written anything to such topics as "Rate Mike's albums", "Best MO album Poll/Ranking: and "Top ten" (or maybe I just can't express my opinion  ;) ).

2. Last year I attended a dancing class. It resulted in a ball. I decided to not buy a new dress for the ball and took my mother's dress (20 years old and quite old fashioned). Saved money I used to extend my collection of Mike's CDs.

3. I think I know what being a fan means.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2003, 16:45

Tieò: I'm too lazy to write out your full name :), but yes, I'm glad to include you amongst the 'real' MO fans. :)

P.S. To everybody else: please don't take this seriously at all. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
YR-TGM
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 22 2003, 17:00

seems I'm not a fan as I rated tres lunas by 1... and only because it contains Landfall, otherwise it would be 0...

pls don't take this seriosly at all ;)
MO fan Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2003, 17:47

I know I am a MO fan ... as my Username states it :cool:

I know where I stand.... on my feet most of the time  :laugh:

I know where I sit........ after a few alcoholic beverages :p

I know where I lie... el collapso  :zzz:

Cheers MO fan :D

A profound sage in Tibet once said...
'Whether we are real MO fans or non-real MO fans, when we are on the web, we are all virtual reality MO fans'
Profile PM 
Wanderer Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2003, 08:40

Why, thankyou Ugo!

As I've said elsewhere, I feel that so called MO fans can be some of the most critical and hyperanalytical listeners around... their online debates can often degenerate into "High Fidelity" territory... I feel like screaming out "JUST RELAX GUYS! IT'S ONLY MUSIC!"

But it isn't just music to a fan. Oh no... Mikey Boy's sonic marvels have touched our hearts, minds and souls...

And perhaps one of the facets I consider of a true fan is that they can acknowledge the negative aspects of their artist and his output...yet go on loving him in spite, or perhaps because of, these things...

So I'll make an extension on that, a true fan can see both the positive and the negative, yet remains steadfastly loyal...

Incidentally I would add another to your non-fan list:

"People who go on fan forums to complain that Mike has lost his way and isn't producing good music anymore but still buy his new albums anyway"

These people are simply cloth-eared-nincompoops in urgent need of medical assistance.  :p
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2003, 09:16

Quote (Wanderer @ Mar. 23 2003, 14:40)
"People who go on fan forums to complain that Mike has lost his way and isn't producing good music anymore but still buy his new albums anyway"

Yeah, Wanderer, exactly. Those who say 'I bought Tres Lunas (for example) just to check out how bad it is'. I may be wrong, but I think that this, in Germany (and not only there...), is called kitsch. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2003, 10:39

You can use the 'good/bad' percentage method to edit out the not so good or just plain rubbish bits of any album.

You listen to the album a few times, then for example if you feel its 80% good, you edit out your CD on to a burnable CD-R or onto cassette tape, cutting out the 20%.

Real fans of any artist should not have to listen to bits they dont like. CREATIVE EDITING is the answer.

As far as Mike is concerned his earlier work was 100% brilliant but I note that some of his more recent albums have required more editing than I would really like to mention and thats a shame!

Still a MO fan, percentage wise  :D
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2003, 11:39

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 22 2003, 12:45)
Non-real MO fans:

- People who say 'I am a MO fan' and then they say that Earth Moving is the worst album he's ever done. Maybe they don't realize what album 'Far country' and 'See the light' are on.

I am a MO fan

Earth Moving is the worst album he's ever done :p

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2003, 14:10

Quote (Man In The Rain @ Mar. 23 2003, 11:39)
I am a MO fan

Man in the rain, You will need a 100% creative edit then by throwing the album out ;)

I did the same with my Amerok cassette tape by chucking it out the car window.

Profile PM 
dkaycom Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2003, 15:32

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 23 2003, 15:16)
Those who say 'I bought Tres Lunas (for example) just to check out how bad it is'. I may be wrong, but I think that this, in Germany (and not only there...), is called kitsch. :D

If u take "this" = "Tr3s Lunas", u're right.
:)
On the other hand : a behaviour will seldom be called "kitsch" here.

And back to the topic: I'd never call myself a "fan" of anyone, not only because "fanatic" is rooted in "fan" (or is it the other way around? who cares...) ......
I know that there are many people around, who really think that one has to adore every little fart an artist ever did, otherwise one wouldn't be a real fan. Blindness at its perfection.....

Later,

dkay

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2003, 19:43

Quote (MO fan @ Mar. 23 2003, 19:10)
Quote (Man In The Rain @ Mar. 23 2003, 11:39)
I am a MO fan

Man in the rain, You will need a 100% creative edit then by throwing the album out ;)

I did the same with my Amerok cassette tape by chucking it out the car window.

But you see, I don't mind Earth Moving. Far Country, Runaway Son, and Bridge To Paradise are all quite good 80s pop songs. I just think that there are songs on each album that are better than anything on Earth Moving.

And saying you chucked Amarok out of the car window and calling yourself MO Fan seems a bit hypocritical to me  :O

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
ally Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2003, 08:58

I don´t know if I am fan...I´ve never felt as a fan, but I very like Mike´s music. His music touched my heart, my soul in such an intense way that I can´t imagine my life without this music...This music is my treasure...sometimes I felt as if listening to this music I could jump out of the world... :)
Profile PM 
Tellur Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2003, 11:11

I like Earth Moving! It's cool! I don't like QE2! I'm a fan!
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2003, 15:01

[quote=Man In The Rain,Mar. 23 2003, 19:43][/quote]

"And saying you chucked Amarok out of the car window and calling yourself MO Fan seems a bit hypocritical to me  :O"

Hello Man In The Rain, You will have to go to the Amerok forum and read up on my message 'Is Amerok a demonic album' to understand why I got shot of the cassette. Its a sad sad story.

Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2003, 15:08

oh yeah, i read that before, didn't realise that was you. oh well if you have a demonic album that brings you bad luck then that's fair enough - i think my phil collins lp has had the same effect on me :(  :D

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2003, 17:47

But remember MO fan Amarok is only bringing you bad luck because you want it to. Sometimes there comes a point in life where you have to say enough is enough and except respsibility for shaping the world around you.
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2003, 06:30

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 22 2003, 07:45)

hmmm... that would put me in the bag of the non real mo fans... i rated ‘earth moving’ as the worst (or more properly, the one that  says nothing to me at all) even the artwork… that drowned face is distressing… :/ if i had to dig searching for something to save on it: the sound  of the classical guitar and maggie reilly’s work in ‘blue night’,  but this is not enough to come back to it,  not even to do “creative editing” (i’m used to it… i still have got some ancient tape recordings… a pleasure to edit and record tapes (now burnt cds) with music from here and there, searching for one hour and a half with that pieces of music u needed for that moment… tapes for driving long journeys, tapes for climbing mountains, tapes for looking at summer skies, tapes for walking in the city …)

as i said somewhere else, had been ‘earth moving’ from someone else i wouldn’t have bought it… however, i own both the vinyl and the cd,  so i don’t know where i am :D and to be honest…i don’t care much… i just love most of his works and have been with me more than the half of my life.
:)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2003, 07:02

Well according to this I'm a real Oldfield fan. But how does this stand with people who don't often visit the Oldfield form (like me)? Are they not a real fan anymore then? ;)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2003, 07:59

Dolphin: being in the board or not is not a requisite. I was jokingly alluding to people in the board as non-fans because they know who they are :). But anyway, since this thing is not serious at all :), if you think you satisfy all the very non-serious parameters above, you're a fan. I know you are. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
31 replies since Mar. 22 2003, 07:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net