Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: "The Riddle" by Nick Kershew< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Atona Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 02 2002, 10:56

Hi! Who of you does know this song? What do you think about it?
I think it's quite good.. and an my opinion it has quite a lot in common with some of the more pop song-like pieces of Oldfield, especially Moonlight Shadow.
BTW: to everybody who might wonder what the lyrics mean.. the mean nothing!
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2002, 19:18

I know it and have it on mp3. Also it is a very big hit again because Gigi D'agostino (what a name) covered the song.

I don't think it has to be compared with MO, because to me it is a nice song, but very 80's pop and really not as good as MO.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Atona Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2002, 17:06

Yeah, I know the version of Gigi D'Ag.. *g*, but the original is much better

No it really can't be compared to Oldfield as a whole, but I see some resemblances in style to pieces like Moonlight Shadow, even though oldfield ist still better *gg*
Profile PM 
Tieò_mesaèného_svitu Offline

Posted: April 07 2003, 13:31

My mother told me that the song reminded her of Mike's music. I don't think so.
BTW, is it true that Nik promised to give all the money he earned on The Riddle single to the one who would crack the riddle hidden in this song? And nobody has done it since 1984. Oh, it sounds stupid.  :cool:
Profile PM 
dkaycom Offline

Posted: April 07 2003, 20:29

well, I like it alot, but somehow "Wouldn't it be good" is a tune by Nik (not NiCk) KershAw I like more, especially in the extended version.
If u like that kind of music, u may also wanna try "Am I Right" by X-Perience, which reminds me to "The Riddle" a bit....

Later,

dkay

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 08 2003, 05:18

I read somewhere that the song "The Riddle" is about nothing, just random lyrics put together, so I don't think there is anything to solve. ;)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
ColdSun2003 Offline

Posted: April 08 2003, 16:56

Nik Kershaw was always a very skilled songwriter and that's why his career declined... people grew suspicious as to his constant progression, development, improvement and reliance on guitars!  Apparently, nobody told him that it was common practice to make practically the same album twice (just give it a different name), then lie low for 15 years until a nostalgia tour comes along with lots of other washed-up 80's rockers.  But no - Nik just HAD to incorporate more jazz and less synth-pop into his music, making it stand out more memorably.  Now, instead of said nostalgia tours with other desperate-for-a-quid has-beens, he's headlining small-to-medium venues around Europe.

So, in conclusion, Nik was one of the worst 80's musicians ever.... simply because he was just too talented!!!
Profile PM 
6 replies since Sep. 02 2002, 10:56 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net