Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Depressed and looking for thoughts...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
xmw Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 08 2011, 07:40

Like many here, I suspect, I've been a fan of Mr. Oldfield for more years than I care to remember, and an ardent attempter of music in a somewhat similar style for pretty much equally as long. (Especially those glorious early 90s.) I've never really plucked up the courage to play anything before, but this seems to be a friendly forum. So, for anyone who is bored, I have a few tracks (mostly unfinished) at www.soundcloud.com/xmw for anyone generous enough with their time to have a listen, and, offer any thoughts: encouraging or, frankly, scathing! :-)
Profile PM 
Ginger Daddy Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2011, 12:08

I like your sound - and the mixes seem quite clear (although I'm only listening on laptop speakers).

I'd probably change your titles though... from 'Unfinished' to 'Work In Progress'... it sounds better :-D :-P

Listened to the first 2 so far and I'm enjoying them, although they do all feel like they're itching to 'go somewhere' as if they need a bit more thematic development... but then the change at about 2:10 in Campfire has just kicked in and it's great!

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Terry.

--------------
http://purplerhapsody.co.uk - no words, just emotions
Profile PM WEB 
dreamland Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2011, 20:23

Hi xmw

Don't be depressed: these all show the beginnings of truly captivating works. I agree with Terry in that they need more development but your craftmanship is evident which is a great starting point.

I'll now be following you on Soundcloud and looking forward to hearing what you come up with :)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2011, 12:42

I think the last two (reminiscence and before) are the best pieces. I like the gloomy, soundtrack-ish atmosphere.
Campfire has a very memorable melody though.

I think the kind of instrumentation you are using (esp the reverb-heavy piano) works best with more melancholic and ethereal pieces. "Nice" melodies tend to sound a little like muzak/restaurant music.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
3 replies since Nov. 08 2011, 07:40 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net