Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The One Game (1988) TV series soundtrack< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 30 2024, 22:31

If anyone watched or remembers "The One Game", UK mystery/thriller series, from 1988, it has a superb Celtic/New Age style soundtrack by Nigel Hess which is very clearly influenced by Mike Oldfield's early mid 70s albums such as Hergest Ridge, as well as Clannad, even incorporating "Welsh gibberish" singing, a la Ommadawn/Taurus II.  The series itself is excellent as well (and appears to have been the unacknowledged inspiration for the similarly titled, and similarly plotted 1997 David Fincher/Michael Douglas movie, The Game, the spec screenplay for which was produced shortly after The One Game aired). The soundtrack really deserves its own release IMO.  The series can be watched on Youtube here The One Game

"Saylon Dola", the theme tune, recorded by Chameleon

Saylon Dola

"Rosheen Du" theme to "Chimera" by the same band.  Has echoes of "Amber Light" from The Millennium Bell and "On My Heart" from Music of the Spheres. I'm sure Mike Oldfield would have been aware of these songs.

Rosheen Du

Finally, it seems more than coincidental that the titles of these two songs, Saylon Dola and Rosheen Du, so obviously inspired by Ommadawn and similar Oldfield works, have titles which sound suspiciously similar to the main lyric refrain from Taurus II, "Sana roshana".  Amazing the sly way that artists "pay homage"...or pilfer ideas.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 05 2024, 07:13

I didn't like either of them. The first one reminded me more of "Lakme" than anything else. I looked up the series on Wikipedia, and it sounded uninspiring, although that could be the fault of wikipedia. "Savlon dola" unscrambles to "Loo vandals"  :laugh:
Profile PM 
1 replies since Mar. 30 2024, 22:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net