Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Moon Stallion< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 09 2024, 00:49

For those who are attracted to the English folklore, history, mysticism and countryside celebrated in early-period Oldfieldian works such as Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn and its much later sequel Return to Ommadawn - especially the song "On Horseback" - this excellent 1978 BBC "children's" fantasy miniseries (you don't have to be a child to enjoy these things...! after all, Oldfield devotees will always have their "Inner Child"), largely forgotten, may appeal.  The series also involves the character of the Moon goddess Diana, so famously incanted, as it were, on one of Mike's other most loved albums (Incantations).  All in all, for lovers of Mike's 70s albums, this series is an absolute delight.

The Moon Stallion (YouTube)

The Moon Stallion (Wikipedia entry)
Profile PM 
shenry Offline

Posted: July 09 2024, 12:31

Ooh this looks good. I'd heard of this before but totally forgot about it. Looks like the kind of thing I'd like. I've recently been getting into a lot of 70s and 80s folklore inspired TV and film stuff - Children of the Stones, Shadows, West Country Tales, Requiem for a Village...
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: July 12 2024, 21:09

Quote (shenry @ July 09 2024, 12:31)
Ooh this looks good. I'd heard of this before but totally forgot about it. Looks like the kind of thing I'd like. I've recently been getting into a lot of 70s and 80s folklore inspired TV and film stuff - Children of the Stones, Shadows, West Country Tales, Requiem for a Village...

Children of the Stones is so good!  One of the very best series ever.  Another good one is the Chocky series (1984-86), based on the writings of John Wyndham - well worth checking out. The Witches and the Grinnygog (1983) could also be worthwhile.  I'm not overly familiar with the others you mentioned so will have to have a look.  The interesting thing about this, for an Oldfield connection, is that it came out the same year as Incantations (1978), and they both refer to the goddess Diana.  Were either influenced by the other in that regard or just a coincidence?  If the latter, then I guess that was just a good year for her (Diana).  Of course, it was only a couple of years before another Diana (not quite a goddess, but a princess...almost the same thing) became world famous!  In fact, Charles and Diana met around the same time that all these works were in production (late 1977).  All very fascinating...

For (classic) Dr Who fans, there are a multitude of connections; Sarah Sutton, obviously, is the main star, and the writer was Brian Hayles, who wrote several excellent serials of the classic iteration of the show.  Sadly, he died a very mysterious - I won't say suspicious, although no official cause of death seems to be forthcoming - death at a young age, just after The Moon Stallion was released.  On that same connection, the Dr Who serial "The Stones of Blood" was also broadcast the same year, having similar plot points to Children of the Stones, which had appeared just one year earlier.
Profile PM 
2 replies since July 09 2024, 00:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net