Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: NME TOP 100 ALBUMS OF ALL TIME< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
simmo2005 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 02 2006, 06:23

Just read an article in today's DAILY TELEGRAPH. Mike was voted #39 all time best album according to a poll by NME readers. This was of course for TUBULAR BELLS.
Not a bad placing- aren't NME readers normally anti MO?
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: June 02 2006, 06:31

yeah they are a little or were, probably didnt help when mike told a NME roprter exactly what he thought of there mag! lol

still not a bad place at all  :)

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 02 2006, 14:04

Is that true? I'm very happily surprised. Its scandalous that Mike and TB NEVER get a mention in any of these 'Top 100' lists even in the more high brow mainstream music press like Mojo or Q. So the NME putting him in at 39 is pretty damm good I would say.

Actually in 1989 NME writer Steven Wells (an NME writer known at the time for his cutting savagery) did write a fantastic piece on Mike. I think Mike went out of his way to convince NME readers that he wasn't the boring old hippy they thought he was. He revealed, amongst other things, that he once punched Richard Branson for making a move in his (then) girlfriend, that he was addicted to sex and that, somewhat bizarrely, he once took a shotgun to a rare species of duck that had innocently landed in his garden.
Steven Wells also took delight in the fact that Mike thought his two peers Jean-Michel Jarre and Vangelis were both 'utter shite' (his words exactly, I remember because this amused me no end) Mike also revealed that he hated Elvis Costello, Gary Newman and that he had never heard of Morrisey. Infact the title of the article was 'Morrisey? Who's He?

So the upshot of all this was that Steven Wells was most impressed by the fact that Mike wasn't the boring old fart he was lead to believe and came away really liking him.
It may also be of interest to you all that not long after the article came out the NME gave Amarok an absolutely amazing review saying it was Mike's best ever record and devoting quite a large space to reviewing it.

So Mike's relationship with the NME hasn't always been bad
Profile PM 
Hoot Offline

Posted: June 02 2006, 14:37

A good placing indeed for a mag that dosnt appreciate him as much as it should.........that said it should be number 1 with the rest of his albums coming after that :D

--------------
"And God said: Let There Be Light"
-Genisis,The Bible
(alternatively-The Songs Of Distant Earth,In The Begining)
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: June 02 2006, 15:11

Quote (TOBY @ June 02 2006, 14:04)
Mike also revealed that he hated Elvis Costello, Gary Newman and that he had never heard of Morrisey.

What a guy! I agree with him on the first and last. However, I have heard and have heard of Gary Numan, and have nothing against him.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Fram Offline

Posted: June 08 2006, 10:43

Quote (TOBY @ June 02 2006, 20:04)
So Mike's relationship with the NME hasn't always been bad

Wasn't he voted best guitarist or best instrumentalist by them three times in a row (1974-1976 or so), before they switched gear and became huge punk fans? I think it is then that Mike decided that the magazine was rubbish, as they were bashing the music they had lauded the years before or so.

--------------
Knowledge is a curse, but ignorance is worse
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 08 2006, 17:00

Like his take on punk rock I think Mike kind of missed the point when it came to the NME. From about 1978 onwards the NME became all about attitude, style and what they deam to be 'cool'. Mike would have done a whole lot better if has just ignored both punk rock and the NME instead of going out of his way to become such a huge victim of them both.
Profile PM 
6 replies since June 02 2006, 06:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net