Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Honours for Mike?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
basify Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 24 2008, 11:49

We all love Mike's music on here but just how much is he appreciated in the music business?  It will soon be time for the New Year's honours in the UK. Will there be anything for Mike? Has he already been awarded anything? As far as I know he's not Sir Mike, but he should get some recognition for the tremendous contribution he's made to popular music. Maybe he's been offered awards in the past but declined to accept them.  Does anyone know?

--------------
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Dec. 24 2008, 18:39

;) Tell me if i am wrong but i thought he was really appreciated in UK !... and i think to have read , i don't remember where now , an article about the fact he would have received something , a price or anything else from the hands of the Queen herself . There's a Spanish video in the net where he receives a price but don't remember the link ... But he has the Honours of my heart for his music and his way of life anyway !!
Profile PM 
theben Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2008, 09:57

for me it's a shame that he has such a poor reputation in the music world nowadays. I think he made a great and progressive contribution including "Killing Fields". Certainly above all his first 4 records.

After Killing Fields i think his inspiration was gone and he made much less interesting albums. Maybe apart from "Amarok" which i also can't appreciate or understand.

But nevertheless I hope in the future he will be again praised for his first period of work.
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2008, 11:06

:/ Yes of course we would like to see him again with seventeen years old and always composing  progressive music but don't forget that everybody becomes old one day and he makes now the music in totally harmony with his own way of thinking and his age . i think you are a little bit rough when you say after The Killing Fields there is no interesting albums except Amarok , Tubular Bells 2 is really good for me and TSODE has given me much emotional satisfaction ... and Music of the spheres is so so beautiful ...
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2008, 14:06

Quote (theben @ Dec. 28 2008, 09:57)
for me it's a shame that he has such a poor reputation in the music world nowadays. I think he made a great and progressive contribution including "Killing Fields". Certainly above all his first 4 records.

After Killing Fields i think his inspiration was gone and he made much less interesting albums. Maybe apart from "Amarok" which i also can't appreciate or understand.

But nevertheless I hope in the future he will be again praised for his first period of work.

Does MO really have a "poor reputation in the music world", theben? I am very surprised to hear that. I rather thought he was simply taken for granted. But it's difficult to gauge such things, here, in the U.S.

I suppose one could argue that MO's first works made the most impact, but I think it would be criminal to reduce his contribution to four or five albums. Such an action would totally disregard a number of strong works with Music of the Spheres being the latest.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Rickyone Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2008, 07:57

Quote (basify @ Dec. 24 2008, 11:49)
We all love Mike's music on here but just how much is he appreciated in the music business?  It will soon be time for the New Year's honours in the UK. Will there be anything for Mike? Has he already been awarded anything? As far as I know he's not Sir Mike, but he should get some recognition for the tremendous contribution he's made to popular music. Maybe he's been offered awards in the past but declined to accept them.  Does anyone know?

I agree to with you on him contributing greatly to popular music.
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2008, 10:18

it all depends what the honours system is for - this is a real debate in the UK.  Most of us want honours to go to people who have worked hard and done amazing things with their skills and assisted many other people.  This MAY include some famous people and sometimes pop stars.  After reading MO's autobiography and the attitudes stemming from it I'd really rather think Mike was not a suitable candidate for an honour... but I love the music he produces and for which has made him a very wealthy man.  Does he really need an honour anyway?
Profile PM 
theben Offline

Posted: Dec. 31 2008, 07:46

Excuse me "Tubular Tos". Everyone has a different taste and thats very good after all, and it makes no sense to argue about taste.

Altough i'm miles away from mikes works starting with "islands" (and thats really hurting because most of his early works are extremely joyful and important for me) i'm happy to see that there are so many people in this forum that share the emotions for his music.

I have a lot of friends here in Austria that are very interested in music (some of them are amateur musicians themselves). But there is nobody (except one friend) who like mikes style. And unfortunately a lot of people associate him only with his more or less commercial famous pop songs in the eighties (thats really a shame).
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2009, 09:12

I think he should at least get an MBE.He did recieve the Freedom Of The City Of London for composing a peice for the wedding of Charles and Diana.Odd that that's all he has recieved methinks.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
basify Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2009, 05:23

I agree that Mike should at least get a minor honour. Maybe I'll nominate him and start a petition.

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2009, 06:15

Good idea basify.

He deserves the best Honour imo, not just for contributions to music but for his determination and courage to conquer his demons and demonstrate to us all that you can turn around a bad situatation into good one. Not only that, but in dealing with himself he has healed and comforted all those who have listened over the years.

Anyone who survives a childhood like he survived, and who does not resort to self destruction, deserves a medal. The chronic social phobia he has only recently overcome. He's obviously chuffed with himself that he can do interviews now, the fight in him obviously doesn't stop. In one interview I saw last year, he was told that he was a "British treasure" and he looked taken a back, but it appeared to warm his heart.

He's a fighter and a winner. He could so easily have been a loser.

I don't know what the process is, but if he needs nominating I guess we need to nominate him

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2009, 21:56

I agree. Mike should be recognized,but he performs music for the love of it and is not big on gushes of public adoration, he would sooner have a schooner on the deck and a fish for dinner on the line than be in the public eye, after all he still is rather media-shy. All that aside, he deserves an OBE at least,
Cheers, Deb
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2009, 22:02

Quote (wiga @ Jan. 05 2009, 06:15)
Good idea basify.

He deserves the best Honour imo, not just for contributions to music but for his determination and courage to conquer his demons and demonstrate to us all that you can turn around a bad situatation into good one. Not only that, but in dealing with himself he has healed and comforted all those who have listened over the years.

Anyone who survives a childhood like he survived, and who does not resort to self destruction, deserves a medal. The chronic social phobia he has only recently overcome. He's obviously chuffed with himself that he can do interviews now, the fight in him obviously doesn't stop. In one interview I saw last year, he was told that he was a "British treasure" and he looked taken a back, but it appeared to warm his heart.

He's a fighter and a winner. He could so easily have been a loser.

I don't know what the process is, but if he needs nominating I guess we need to nominate him

[QUOTE]
Quiet Perseverance and Loving Nature, a Big Heart, A Beautiful Soul, He Has Overcome the Worst Pains of All. At Night Now Is Peaceful Sleep, Though Demons Of The Past still Try To Reap. Enjoy the Solace You have Sought On Angels Wings You Will Soar,
Cheers, Deb
Profile PM 
Atrastorm Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2009, 05:05

well he was given the honours of writing music for a royal wedding but he does deserve something like a CBE or somthing alike for services to music or maybe a lifetime achievment award.
Profile PM 
basify Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2009, 04:39

Maybe he'll get something at the Brit Awards, but I'm not holding my breath.

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2009, 05:28

He was awarded the Freedom Of The City If London for writing the Royal Wedding march.
 If he's going to acheive anything i would think it would be at the equivelant to the Brits for the classical world for MOTS.This was really well recieved by just about everyone and got to number 1 in the classical charts.Made me laugh when Mike made the statement "It's great to be back at number 1".It had been a while.Last time was with TBII back in '92.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
15 replies since Dec. 24 2008, 11:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net