Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 40th Anniversary BBC Doc?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
simmo2005 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 30 2013, 06:59

new Facebook post from Caroline Monk:

5 days to go until I fly to The Bahamas to see my mate Mike Oldfield and to help the BBC with the 40 years of Tubular Bells documentary. I love my life!

Anyone heard anything re this documentary?
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: April 30 2013, 16:20

Not really no, but I guess we will hear soon. :)
Profile PM 
Balbulus Offline

Posted: May 02 2013, 10:32

I read something about this a week or two ago, in one of the magazines that we print at work (think it was Broadcast). I can't find it at the moment, but I'll keep looking!
Profile PM 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: May 02 2013, 11:01

I found this news item on a Dutch website from the 15th March.
http://www.oldfield.nl/news.php?show=30items
It says that the film company is asking fans for any material they might have (footage and photos) and want to share.
I would have thought that Tubular.net would be a good place to start! Very interesting! Thanks for posting.

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 'That I was used to drive  
And hear the harness jingle  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: May 02 2013, 13:12

Job: Sound Recordist, Tigerlily Films. Nassau film tv - Mandy.com

www.mandy.com › Production Jobs › Bahamas‎

Apr 9, 2013 – Apply for this film tv production job vacancy: Sound Recordist with Tigerlily Films, in Nassau.

That's a paste of a Google search just now - clicking on it takes you to a "Job Removed" message.  Joe Barker travelling light! :D

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: May 02 2013, 13:13

Strange indeed...
(To tell you the truth I had completely forgotten this site existed and I'm dutch, mind you)

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: May 02 2013, 13:27

This all sounds good, hopefully it's an in depth documentary :) New interviews with Mike, maybe him playing some guitar and piano talking parts of TB
Profile PM 
Balbulus Offline

Posted: May 02 2013, 16:20

I found the article, in the 19th April issue of Broadcast. It's very brief:

"Factual producer Tigerlily Films has won several music commissions from BBC4 and Channel 4. Tubular Bells, a 60-minute film for BBC4, will look at the multi-million selling debut album by Mike Oldfield. It featured on the soundtrack to The Exorcist and was also used in the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games. Matt Casey is directing and Natasha Dack is producing."

Not much, but it is accompanied by a small picture of the album cover.
Profile PM 

Posted: May 03 2013, 22:38

After a pleasant distraction, on to what I actually planned to post today...

I'm hesitant to jinx this with a topic of its own, so wonder to you about what we might see when this appears.  It may be cutting it a bit fine, but this could be broadcast on the night of the 24th into the anniversary on Saturday the 25th.  I wouldn't be surprised, though, if it appeared at a later date; to coincide with a June/July reissue perhaps.  What is more of a mystery is what ancilliary programmes we might see.  A couple of years ago - on Annie Nightingale's night, I think - I speculated that an MO-themed night had to happen at some point.  Since then, the regular Friday night music coverage on BBC 4 has often featured single documentaries that aren't always backed up by other programmes directly related to the subject.  Tonight, an Elton John feature was at least followed by Elton John at the BBC - usually a compilation of performances over the years, often highlighting some of the odder shows that had hip musical guests - so he was lucky.  It was certainly more common in recent times that there's be a third programme - maybe a Classic Albums or concert featuring Elton but ,as I type, we're on the second showing of Duets at the BBC (a romantic collection tonight).

The most disappointing scenario would be the new documentary alone; and it would be sad if we got that and then another repeat of Mike's Prog Britannia.  What would be brilliant, naturally, would be some other less-seen documentary from the past, coupled with a concert ( or two! ).  So what would you like to see?  All You Need Is Love, or Reflections? The 2nd House performance might be all they want to go for, but I'd be insisting on Tubular Bells II complete with Tracey MacLeod's introduction (it originally went out under the auspices of The Late Show).

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 04 2013, 19:47

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ May 04 2013, 02:38)
After a pleasant distraction, on to what I actually planned to post today...

I'm hesitant to jinx this with a topic of its own, so wonder to you about what we might see when this appears.  It may be cutting it a bit fine, but this could be broadcast on the night of the 24th into the anniversary on Saturday the 25th.  I wouldn't be surprised, though, if it appeared at a later date; to coincide with a June/July reissue perhaps.  What is more of a mystery is what ancilliary programmes we might see.  A couple of years ago - on Annie Nightingale's night, I think - I speculated that an MO-themed night had to happen at some point.  Since then, the regular Friday night music coverage on BBC 4 has often featured single documentaries that aren't always backed up by other programmes directly related to the subject.  Tonight, an Elton John feature was at least followed by Elton John at the BBC - usually a compilation of performances over the years, often highlighting some of the odder shows that had hip musical guests - so he was lucky.  It was certainly more common in recent times that there's be a third programme - maybe a Classic Albums or concert featuring Elton but ,as I type, we're on the second showing of Duets at the BBC (a romantic collection tonight).

The most disappointing scenario would be the new documentary alone; and it would be sad if we got that and then another repeat of Mike's Prog Britannia.  What would be brilliant, naturally, would be some other less-seen documentary from the past, coupled with a concert ( or two! ).  So what would you like to see?  All You Need Is Love, or Reflections? The 2nd House performance might be all they want to go for, but I'd be insisting on Tubular Bells II complete with Tracey MacLeod's introduction (it originally went out under the auspices of The Late Show).

I caught myself thinking about it with a friend last Friday - I love BBC Four's music nights. Prob 2nd House and TB II Premiere after the documentary. Mike was on TOTP for Guilty/Moonlight Shadow/Sentinel as far as I remember. Maybe that Blue Peter feature could be in?

Prog Rock Britannia had tons of repeats - I've watched at least 3x since I moved to the UK in Oct '09. A bit useless when you've got this TB documentary on the cards.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: May 14 2013, 08:29

It would definitely have been tight but they aren't aiming for an anniversary date, I think....  This Friday, the 17th, has an old school rock-and-roll theme - as a preview suggested, the initial documentary is part one of two.  That's only strange because Friday the 24th is taken over completely by jazz - groovy!

This said, there is a two hour To Be Announced slot on the 25th at 10.30pm, which is sometimes taken up by music: rarely premieres though.

After my last post, I remembered that the last time The Beach Boys were featured on a night, they used their appearance at a certain Knebworth Festival.  That was commercially released as well, albeit a fair bit later, but 1980 might be on the Beeb's radar.

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 

Posted: Sep. 30 2013, 14:44

After a few days offline from the world, I've just caught up with the news about the imminent broadcast date; Friday, the 11th of October from 9pm with the 2nd House performance to follow at 10pm.  We then get repeats of 'Synth Britannia' and 'Synth Britannia at the BBC' before the Oldfield cycle begins again from 12.55am.

It fits the brief of celebrating the original album, but this does sit more on the oh well... side of the excitement spectrum.  I'll clearly have to strike up a friendship with someone at BBC programme planning if I ever want to see the TB II concert... ;)

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2013, 10:04

Teaser (UK only),courtesy of Tigerlily films on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvgJWEXgcko

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Oct. 11 2013, 14:16

Not long to go now.  I think, from that and the other preview, that I'll enjoy the style of this documentary: such things are always subjective, to maker and viewers alike, but I wasn't the hugest fan of the main When Albums Ruled the World feature (overall anyway, good bits were to be found).  The instrument list is a nice touch!

My reaction may be the least of their problems though ;). You'd think that a programme dedicated to a person and album would warn off the disenchanted, but indie masochists everywhere will be trying to persuade football fans to let them turn over; all the better to declare their outrage to Twitter and the like. "I've never met anyone that hasn't regretted buying Tubular Bells. #Fact"  To be fair, some channel hoppers may be thinking they might as well see what the music programming is on BBC Four this evening, and they might be amongst those for whom the Olympics opening ceremony just kept going from bad to worse - I still come across the odd tweet or real-time blog from those oblivious to the possibility that anyone could be enjoying what they were seeing. :D

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
Chris Ibberson Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2013, 03:27

The documentary was a great success and as good as I hoped it would be. Particularly pleased to see and hear from Tom Newman. Viv Stanshall thrown in for free!

--------------
Diana Luna Lucina
Profile PM 
14 replies since April 30 2013, 06:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net