Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 35th Anniv, Is Mike up to anything.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Caveman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 28 2008, 09:28

So the 35th anniversary has come and gone and as far as i know nothing from Mike.As TB has come back to him now does anyone know if he's planning to do anything to mark it.I was listening to a radio show from the time of Tres Lunas this morning and he mentions that he found the demos (including the Hoover track)and was considering releasing it in some form.Now would be a good time but unless you guys have heard anything then nothings being done. :/

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
ProjectZ Offline

Posted: May 28 2008, 10:20

There were some demos released on the DVD-version of TB2003...

BTW: still dreaming of this one  :D

--------------
the VANGELIS forum : Invisible Connections ( http://www.vangelis.fr/ )
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 28 2008, 10:39

Where can i get a copy?May have to place an order fpr that.

--------------
Profile PM 
ProjectZ Offline

Posted: May 28 2008, 11:00

Quote (ProjectZ @ May 28 2008, 16:20)

Sadly this one only exist in my dreams !!  :/

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 28 2008, 11:14

I know this one's a fantasy one cos i suggested some ideas in a thread a while back to a series of re-issues (although it would be brilliant to have).The one i need is the 2003 DVD.If it's the demo's Mike made on Kevin Ayres' Bang And Olufson tape recorder then thse are the demo's with the track he used a hoover on to get the drone effect he needed.
 I do have a proto-TB thing with the aforementioned Mr Ayres on a live version of Why Are We Sleeping.The solo is an early version of the solo immediately after the caveman song.Not note for note but the basic chord structure under-pinning it and his phrasing and tone are all there.But he goes nuts towards the end!Worth every penny i paid for it but sadly deleted shortly after i got it.Ny first introduction to Kevin Ayres and a belter!

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: May 28 2008, 21:42

tubularnet.com

I reckon Mike needs a break from the studio at the moment. He needs time to just relax and not keep worrying about contracts, creating new musical scores. All of these are extremely stressful, and because he is a perfectionist when it comes to his music, very time consuming. Give him some time to escape the marketing machine for a while and live a normal life that we take for granted.

Cheers,
 Deb Sewardjavascript:emoticon(':cool:';)
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 29 2008, 03:20

I reckon you're right.He's got the new baby to think about.Be nice for one of the concerned record companies to put something out to mark it though.And for Virgin/EMI to miss an oppertunity does surprise me
 ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
ProjectZ Offline

Posted: May 29 2008, 03:34

Quote (The Caveman @ May 29 2008, 09:20)
And for Virgin/EMI to miss an oppertunity does surprise me

It's not up to Virgin/EMI anymore to re-release TB
Quote (Mike Oldfield @ mikeoldfield.com)
‘It feels great to be back at number one after all these years - I'm glad I can still hold my own in the charts. And as this year I regain the rights to Tubular Bells, it feels like I've started a new chapter in my career.'

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 29 2008, 03:38

I've course.I forgot.I even mentioned in earlier.It's early! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 29 2008, 18:28

...off topic...

@ The Caveman: I have the TB demos, ripped directly from the DVD, and I have the full live version of Ayers' WAWS with what you call the 'proto-TB' solo. :). If you are interested in these (or if anyone else is) please PM me.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 30 2008, 08:50

Hi Ugo.Which live version do you have?I've got the Hyde Park Version and the BBC version with orchestra.Project Z has kindly sent me a link to the demo's already.Thanks anyway though.You're very kind.

--------------
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: May 30 2008, 16:44

Quote (The Caveman @ May 28 2008, 15:28)
I was listening to a radio show from the time of Tres Lunas this morning and he mentions that he found the demos (including the Hoover track)and was considering releasing it in some form.

He was referring to my question then in "The Raft" interview- and yes, he did release the original audio demos of Tubular Bells on the DVD-Audio of Tubular Bells 2003 as part of the Mike Oldfield DVD collection set.

:D  :D  :D
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 30 2008, 17:55

@ The Caveman: I've got the 1972 version on the Too old to die young double CD. I guess that's the same one as what you call "BBC version with orchestra" :D... though I wouldn't exactly call it an orchestra... as far as I can hear from the recording, there's no more than six/eight people there, in addition to The Whole World. Quite small an orchestra, don't you think? :p Or maybe it was a "tearoom orchestra" ? :laugh:

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 30 2008, 18:02

Quote (The Caveman @ May 28 2008, 13:28)
So the 35th anniversary has come and gone and as far as i know nothing from Mike.As TB has come back to him now does anyone know if he's planning to do anything to mark it.I was listening to a radio show from the time of Tres Lunas this morning and he mentions that he found the demos (including the Hoover track)and was considering releasing it in some form.Now would be a good time but unless you guys have heard anything then nothings being done. :/

I take it the "Hoover track" is an early demo, predating the 1971 Demo as released on the TB2003 DVD Audio, as playing the 1971 Demos I can't hear any Hoover on there  :p.  
BTW does anyone know what make/model of Hoover was used by Mike to create the drone sound, or am I being really anoraky here     :/ .

I can't believe that the 35th Anniversary of Tubular Bells was passed up, without maybe a re issue containing the live perfomance/lost demos, maybe we'll have to wait until TB reaches 40, but that's nearly five years away   :O , and I can't wait beyond my 40th birthday to have it, infact I can wait to my 37th year and I'll be 37 in a little over a month.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: May 30 2008, 20:26

Quote (moonchildhippy @ May 30 2008, 23:02)

BTW does anyone know what make/model of Hoover was used by Mike to create the drone sound, or am I being really anoraky here  

Hoover is the make you wally!   You mean vacuum cleaner!  ....... Sorry just had to get that off my strings!!

R

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: May 30 2008, 21:09

A pedantic`s nightmare would be somebody stopping them in a supermarket.To tell them that they`ve just announced a hoover sale over the tannoy.. ;)

Many moons ago on my way home from a heavy night out on the pop.I decided to give up staggering home blindly and lay down in a back alley for a while.Not the most sensible of life options I`ll admit.But it was quite a warm summer`s night and I was way over the requisite three sheets to the wind.I woke up a good few hours later wondering why the hell my next door neighbour was doing the "hoovering" at such a ridiculous time of the morning.Only to find myself lying on a concrete step next to an electric generator station..."Oh yeah!..That`s right,..I`m an idiot!"

So anyway I`m curious now just what type of vaccum cleaner did Mike use?..And more to the point,has he auctioned it on ebay yet?
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 31 2008, 03:16

Quote (Ray @ May 31 2008, 00:26)
Quote (moonchildhippy @ May 30 2008, 23:02)

BTW does anyone know what make/model of Hoover was used by Mike to create the drone sound, or am I being really anoraky here  

Hoover is the make you wally!   You mean vacuum cleaner!  ....... Sorry just had to get that off my strings!!

R

Yep I know Hoover is the make/brand name , but according to the Oxford English Dictionary  hoover is a verb , def "to clean with a vacuum cleaner" as well as a noun (hoovers, hoovering, hoovered)

Dirk Star   Posted on May 31 2008, 01:09A pedantic`s nightmare would be somebody stopping them in a supermarket.To tell them that they`ve just announced a hoover sale over the tannoy.. ;)

Many moons ago on my way home from a heavy night out on the pop.I decided to give up staggering home blindly and lay down in a back alley for a while.Not the most sensible of life options I`ll admit.But it was quite a warm summer`s night and I was way over the requisite three sheets to the wind.I woke up a good few hours later wondering why the hell my next door neighbour was doing the "hoovering" at such a ridiculous time of the morning.Only to find myself lying on a concrete step next to an electric generator station..."Oh yeah!..That`s right,..I`m an idiot!"

So anyway I`m curious now just what type of vaccum cleaner did Mike use?..And more to the point,has he auctioned it on ebay yet?

That's an interesting story Dirk Star, I think maybe the weirdest place I've fallen asleep whilst drunk (many moons ago, was either on the bathroom floor, or I woke up to find myself fully clothed  in the bath, a dry bath of course as it wasn't my intention to have a bath  :O .
Now I wonder what became of the Tubular Bells Demo  hoover oh I mean vacuum cleaner  :/ , no doubt it's ended up in some council tip, as I don't think Mike realised how successful it would be, or  the birth  of e-bay.

Speaking of hoovers, no vacuum cleaners, here's some more solid reliable  cleaning companions
http://www.numatic.co.uk/products3.asp?r=4&sr=1
I see

I see that Henry has now got a girlfriend in the form of "Hetty"

http://www.numatic.co.uk/products4.asp?id=176

Speaking of Hoovers, and these ones really are Hoovers , an 1970's  catalouge for the Hoover Company of North Canton Ohio.  Those cylinder round ones always make me think of "Flying Saucer" type of UFOs.

I know that a "Hoover Junior" had that drone sound
http://www.74simon.co.uk/1346.html ,
as I remember my Mum had one up until about  1986. Surprised it's still possible to by spares for them, as I doubt there's many still working, or they're museum pieces, or collectors items, as they come up on e-bay.    

http://www.74simon.co.uk/hoover.html

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: May 31 2008, 05:34

Quote (The Caveman @ May 28 2008, 14:28)

Didn't Music of the Spheres count as marking an anniversary? Or is that not enough??? If not, maybe we can get him to open up a vein and share some blood...
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: June 01 2008, 21:10

Yes Marky, that is exactly what I was thinking. He is 55 years old, still making and recording music and still making babies. He has such a full life and we are so lucky that he is still releasing albums. I'll gladly take MOTS as my 35th anniversary celebration.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 02 2008, 06:44

I guess MOTS strings marked the anniversary in a way,in as much as it refered to TB in a couple of places.But there's been no official recognition of the anniversary by any kind of release.
@manintherain it was an interview in Radio 2 with Stuart Marconie.

PS how come everyone knew about the demo's being on the 2003 DVD and i didn't.Memo to myself...Be more observant Mr Fear and you shall spot these things in HMV next time!

--------------
Profile PM 
22 replies since May 28 2008, 09:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net